EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Dec 2003, 12:52 PM   #31
jolycu

Quote:
Originally posted by DianeB

All this information!! WOW, my head is spinning.

Okies, now on to the next question,,,,,,,,

'IF' (and I'm saying 'if' here), I were to purchase a domain name, in aspects of drawing new contacts (customers) in, how would people find their way to it to see what coupons I have to offer?

Diane
Diane, I think what you would need to do is set up a website. Once you register a domain, you can direct traffic to it from anywhere on the web. Say you have some free webspace with your isp, and it would be something like yourspaceATyourisp.com. Someone could type that into their web browser and get to your website. But, if you registered a name such as dianescoupontraders.com as mentioned earlier, you would set it up to direct the traffic to your website at yourspaceATyourisp.com and it would look more professional. If you move your website to another server, you can go back and direct the traffic to it very easily. You could also direct all the email received at your website to your account at Fastmail as others have posted.
Jolycu
jolycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2003, 12:50 AM   #32
DianeB
Cornerstone of the Community

ANOTHER Quickie ??

With a 'Full' membership, if I purchase a domain, in order to have the email for that domain forwarded to my FM mailbox, am I correct in assuming it is an additional $1.00 PER MONTH fee with FM?

(Thanks to ALL of you wonderful folks that have been educating me here!!)

Diane
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2003, 02:35 AM   #33
usmaverick

Forwarding to a FM address with any of the account levels doesn't cost extra. The $1/month (+ $.25/month per address) extra Full account charge only applies if FM hosts your domain. There are advantages to doing this, though I just use e-mail forwarding with a FM Member account.

GoDaddy includes e-mail forwarding for 100 aliases (e.g., dianeATdomainnameDOTcom) if you register a domain name with them.
usmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2003, 02:51 AM   #34
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by NumberSix
Oh, and I know others have already answered, but I can't resist giving the simplest and most useful answer to your other question: a gigabyte (GB) is 1000 times bigger than a megabyte (MB).
It's actually 1024 times bigger...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2003, 03:08 AM   #35
snsh
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
It's actually 1024 times bigger...
The way I've seen it is
1 GB = 1024 MB
1 gigabyte = 1000 megabytes
because giga means billion not 2^30.
snsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2003, 04:01 AM   #36
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by snsh
The way I've seen it is
1 GB = 1024 MB
1 gigabyte = 1000 megabytes
because giga means billion not 2^30.
But in computing "mega" has always meant 2^20, so it's logical that "giga" should in the same context mean 2^30...

(edit) In any case, since "mega" in computing is 2^20, if "giga" is 10^9 (BTW, to Europeans a "billion" is 10^12 — "bi-million"), then a gigabyte is 953.7 times a megabyte, not 1000 times...

Last edited by robert@fm : 2 Dec 2003 at 04:08 AM.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2003, 05:00 AM   #37
pwb

I think that generally Mega meens 10^6 and Giga 10^9. In computer hardware things work out more nicely using the power series of 2 and so instead of KB, MB & GB being 10^3, 10^6 and 10^9 respectively they are 2^10, 2^20 and 2^30.

I believe that robert@fm is right in that 1024 is technically more accurate. But when precision is not necessary 1000 makes the numbers a lot nicer .

If you're just a beginner than using 1000MB = 1GB shouldn't do you any harm.

Just my two cents, as people seem to say.
pwb is offline   Reply With Quote