EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Aug 2017, 12:44 PM   #16
camner
Cornerstone of the Community

So, I tried to look at and then set up some DNS records at FM, following the instructions at https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/dns.html, where it refers to the Settings-->Domains page, click the "edit" button by my domain and then follow the "Show DNS settings link." Only there is no such link on the Settings-->Domains page that I can see!

If I go back to the "Settings-->Domain" page and follow the "add domain" button I see that there is a "Show DNS Settings" link right above the beginning of the MAIL section, but that link does not appear on the page that I get to from Settings-->Domains and then click the "Edit" button next to my one and only domain.

Am I missing something obvious?
camner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2017, 01:25 PM   #17
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by camner View Post
So, I tried to look at and then set up some DNS records at FM ... Am I missing something obvious?
If you look at the Settings>Domains screen and click Add Domain at the top, clicking Show DNS Settings will show you the DNS information that FastMail will publish for your domain if you point your nameservers to FastMail.

If you look at the Settings>Domains screen and click Edit adjacent to your domain name (which is Active with Nameservers set), you should see a checkmark inside a green circle at the top. The DNS settings which FastMail is publishing for your domain are shown.

My descriptions above all assume that the NS records for you domain (usually hosted at your domain reseller) point to the proper FastMail server locations:
  • ns1.messagingengine.com
  • ns2.messagingengine.com
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2017, 10:06 PM   #18
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
The use of the question mark in "?all" at the end of this record tells receiving servers that the SPF record is actually "neutral," which means it really doesn't technically have any effect on receiving servers (or at least it shouldn't), so it technically renders the SPF record meaningless for all practical purposes.
Even within the original concept of SPF it wasn't meaningless , but SPF is now much more about authentication and much less about policy. The difference between -~? is increasingly less relevant than between pass and not-pass.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2017, 10:38 PM   #19
camner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
If you look at the Settings>Domains screen and click Add Domain at the top, clicking Show DNS Settings will show you the DNS information that FastMail will publish for your domain if you point your nameservers to FastMail.

If you look at the Settings>Domains screen and click Edit adjacent to your domain name (which is Active with Nameservers set), you should see a checkmark inside a green circle at the top. The DNS settings which FastMail is publishing for your domain are shown.

My descriptions above all assume that the NS records for you domain (usually hosted at your domain reseller) point to the proper FastMail server locations:
  • ns1.messagingengine.com
  • ns2.messagingengine.com
Bill
What I infer from what you have said is that FM will not allow me to edit my zone record until AFTER I point my name servers to FM at my domain registrar and FM notices that I have done that. (I don't know how often they check.). What I was hoping to do was to set the A records I wanted to set at FM BEFORE pointing the name servers to FM so that when the TTL for the name server entries at the registrar had expired and people were picking up the IP address of my website from the zone record at FM, they would get the correct IP address (the one at the web host) and NOT the one that FM would automatically point to the storage at FM. By forcing me to wait to update the zone record until AFTER FM notices my name servers have changed, I'll have a longer period of inaccessibility for the web site, yes? That's not the end of the world, because it isn't mission critical, but it IS inconvenient.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 11:11 PM   #20
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
Even within the original concept of SPF it wasn't meaningless , but SPF is now much more about authentication and much less about policy. The difference between -~? is increasingly less relevant than between pass and not-pass.
Oh I agree, but I'm trying to simplify for the purposes of this discussion. At the end of the day, however, the neutral and softfail settings are far more discretionary than they should be on the part of receiving mail servers.... There's a good chance many receiving systems will assign a higher spam score even with a "neutral" directive (whether they should is another debate), but it's still pretty inconsistent. On the other hand, a hard fail should always result in a quarantine or reject, especially in the presence of a published DMARC record.

...and let's not even get into the debate about the original purpose of the "softfail" tag
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2017, 11:21 PM   #21
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
What I infer from what you have said is that FM will not allow me to edit my zone record until AFTER I point my name servers to FM at my domain registrar and FM notices that I have done that.
No, you can definitely edit your DNS zone before you've pointed your name servers over. In fact, you should be able to do it immediately upon creating it. Click the "Edit" button beside the domain name, and look for the "Show DNS Settings" link — it's right above the "Mail" header, but it's actually just a text link and not an actual button, so it's sort of easy to miss.

Once you click "Show DNS Settings" it's also replaced by the actual expanded settings section, so it disappears, and you'll instead see a DNS section header and likely a red warning box that tells you that the settings will only take effect if your name servers are pointing to FastMail.

I just created a new "dummy" domain name to test this, and it seems to work fine for me, so either your'e missing something obvious or there's something different about your account settings (in which case you might need to contact FM support).

See here and here for example screenshots of what I'm seeing on my end.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 11:35 PM   #22
camner

Quote:
No, you can definitely edit your DNS zone before you've pointed your name servers over. In fact, you should be able to do it immediately upon creating it. Click the "Edit" button beside the domain name, and look for the "Show DNS Settings" link — it's right above the "Mail" header, but it's actually just a text link and not an actual button, so it's sort of easy to miss.

Once you click "Show DNS Settings" it's also replaced by the actual expanded settings section, so it disappears, and you'll instead see a DNS section header and likely a red warning box that tells you that the settings will only take effect if your name servers are pointing to FastMail.

I just created a new "dummy" domain name to test this, and it seems to work fine for me, so either your'e missing something obvious or there's something different about your account settings (in which case you might need to contact FM support).

See here and here for example screenshots of what I'm seeing on my end.
That's what's odd about this. If I click on "add domain" I go to a page that allows me to enter the domain name and the "show DNS settings" link appears, right above the "mail" section. However, when I try to edit my EXISTING domain, those three magic words are definitely not there.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 11:40 PM   #23
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
That's what's odd about this. If I click on "add domain" I go to a page that allows me to enter the domain name and the "show DNS settings" link appears, right above the "mail" section. However, when I try to edit my EXISTING domain, those three magic words are definitely not there.
For my existing domains, there's an extra "Domain Security" section that shows whether your SPF and DKIM records are properly configured, and the "Show DNS Settings" link is above that (see screenshot here).
Old 14 Aug 2017, 10:36 AM   #24
camner

Quote:
For my existing domains, there's an extra "Domain Security" section that shows whether your SPF and DKIM records are properly configured, and the "Show DNS Settings" link is above that (see screenshot here).
Right you are. I found it. I was looking elsewhere, per a different screen shot I was looking it. That, together with working on this with way too little sleep, led to my oversight.

Thanks to all for the help. I have moved the DNS and all sees to be working as expected.