EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 1 Aug 2002, 05:30 PM   #16
mail2me
Master of the @

The Top Three Best Paid services are FastMail, Runbox and MailSnare.

Interesteing artcle about OddPost. Nothing more than a attractive web interface to play around for the M$ IE fans.
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2002, 01:35 AM   #17
mailboy
Essential Contributor

Free: Laposte.net, Email.it, Email.is, and humour.com/alinto.com

Paid: Mailsnare.net.

I did some trial with Runbox and Oddpost but did not suit my needs. Fastmail is not appealing enough (contrary to millions of rave revues) to go above guest.
mailboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2002, 02:50 AM   #18
mail2me
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by mailboy
Paid: Mailsnare.net.
MailSnare is very good even though I don't use it because I have already subscribed to both Runbox and FastMail. I tried it myself and liked it.

http://www.commonplace.net/email/paidcomp.html

What I liked mostly about MailSnare was the ability to retrieve messages from other IMAP accounts too. In the long-term, they plan to introduce voicemail and fax services too making it a complete communication service.

What I didn't like about MailSnare was its domain/s. What is 'Snare'? No .dot domain. MailSnare even if it is a meaningful word is a bit too long. A two word combination of upto eight characters is acceptable as in "rushpost" but beyond that would be too long. Snare is also not a very common word that people would have heard and would be knowing the spelling. Not ideal for a primary email address.

It is however already a full feature service for just 15 per year and fully worth it when compared to most other services.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 05:34 AM   #19
mailboy
Essential Contributor

Mail2me, in case you didn't know, Mailsnare began allowing use of a new shoter domain: msbx.net as well as mailsnare.net

Not short enough?
mailboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2002, 08:07 AM   #20
Madiver

Representative of:
MailSnare.net
Quote:
Mail2me, in case you didn't know, Mailsnare began allowing use of a new shoter domain: msbx.net as well as mailsnare.net

Not short enough?
Of course we sent out a notice about the new domain to all our existing customers but have yet to update our web pages....never seems to be enough hours in the day to get things done
Madiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2002, 11:45 AM   #21
mail2me
Master of the @

Quote:

Not short enough?
I have heard of it but:
1) Both are still not DOTcom
2) Both still contain "Snare" which means a trap often consisting of a noose for catching birds or mammals
I can't see any connection with email.
3) Snare is not a popular word that everyone is familar with.
4) MSBX is short but will anybody who has not heard of MailSnare ever remember it by memory as in eml.cc. Abbreviations like AOL or MSN are heard of by everyone but not MSBX. Also it doen't roll off the tongue easily.

RushPost is a synonym for FastMail.
RunBox can be interpreted as FastBox.
Eml.cc as Email Copy similar to Hard Copy and Soft Copy.
Even OddPost is nice sounding.

Somehow the name MailSnare was not attractive enough for me to consider making it one of my primary email addresses and of course I was looking for a DOTcom address after I myself typed .com instead of .net for the previous FastMail email address that I had.

The MailSnare features and support are well commented and very good value. It's just that I didn't like the domain to consider it.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 01:58 PM   #22
sarathb

My Best

I recommed for Paid to be as
Runbox.com
Fastmail.fm
OddPost.com
Free :
Yahoo(everGreen Services)
Fastmail.fm(guest Accoutn)
Hostbet.com and Australia.edu)
Can some body give me a feed back on Australia.edu and Hostbet.com
sarathb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2002, 08:27 PM   #23
kchess79
Master of the @

Re: My Best

Quote:
Originally posted by sarathb
I
Free :
Yahoo(everGreen Services)
Fastmail.fm(guest Accoutn)
Hostbet.com and Australia.edu)
I'm still trying to find the 'free' part of Hostbet.com...looks like the minimum service is $2.00/mo...
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2002, 09:35 PM   #24
nitripps

sarathb asked
Quote:
i've been with australia.edu for close to a year and i've got no complaints. it's a real dependable, fast, full featured service. i can't remember any downtime, and any support questions i've had were answered the same day.

nitripps
nitripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Aug 2002, 04:28 PM   #25
Trip
Master of the @

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Thumbs down Sigh...

Quote:
Originally posted by mail2me

Somehow the name MailSnare was not attractive enough for me to consider making it one of my primary email addresses and of course I was looking for a DOTcom address after I myself typed .com instead of .net for the previous FastMail email address that I had.

The MailSnare features and support are well commented and very good value. It's just that I didn't like the domain to consider it.
Um...it's called: GET YOUR OWN DOMAIN NAME. rofl. For $8-15 per YEAR you could have a new domain controlled by you to forward all email to whatever pay account you want. If you are a webmail user primarily, then your only ESSENTIAL criterium for your service would be the ability to use a custom from address (which MailSnare has in their IMP client).

Problem solved. Less worrying about the name, more worrying about what really counts: FEATURES. This way, you can get a domain name and something like MailSnare for less than a FastMail Enhanced account in most cases.

Just another way to look at things.

Trip
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Aug 2002, 06:04 PM   #26
mail2me
Master of the @

Re: Sigh...

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Um...it's called: GET YOUR OWN DOMAIN NAME. rofl. For $8-15 per YEAR
I don't think everyone want to do this because most users at FM are Member and Full users. I upgraded from Member to Full because of the promotion with the expectation of a personal 5MB website soon. If is is not available by the time my subscription expires then I will revert back to Member status.

Wouldn't it make sense for a Email Service Provider to have a good domain/s to be used by several users rather than expecting each one to register their own domain? I will not do that.

I did look at subscribing for MailSnare at one time but later realized that I already have two reliable accounts even though each service has features that the others don't have at the moment. I was also looking for a good primary email address to use as my default. Now I have two that I like with both Runbox and FastMail.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 09:19 PM   #27
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by sillyshorty
For free services I like, in order, fastmail's guest account, Mail2 World, and Yahoo... if you don't mind the ads For paid services I like another.com, everyone.net...in that order.
Another.com would be my number 4 pay service. I've used them for years (before they were called another.com!)
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2002, 03:07 AM   #28
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I agree with mail2me; "snare" is not a good domain name unless one wants connotations of entrapment, capture etc., and not everybody can register their own domain name (I've yet to find a UK registrar which (1) is affordable to me and (2) accepts payment by postal order), so MailSnare doesn't appeal to me either...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2002, 12:14 PM   #29
lion

PAID:

1. Runbox.com

2. Another.com

3. Onebox.com (recently has been a little slow, though)

4. Fastmail.fm (somewhat OVER-RATED on these forums here)

FREE:

1. Laposte.net (My overall favorite email service)

2. Inbox.net (new service, great performance so far -- looks very promising).

3. Yahoo (An all-round reliable service).

Last edited by lion : 4 Aug 2002 at 12:24 PM.
lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2002, 12:28 PM   #30
lion

Quote:
Originally posted by mailmaniac
3 - Deutsche Post

Mailmaniac,

Deutsche Post has free email?
What is the exact URL?
I went to their Web site, but could not find any link for setting up an account. (Or maybe you have an email account with them because you work for them )
lion is offline   Reply With Quote