EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 26 Apr 2002, 10:49 PM   #16
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

I think the greatest storage was when you could use xdrive.com and idrive.com for free. I used those a lot, but then they went paid. Did anyone else ever use those? I thought xdrive.com was the better one of the two.
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2002, 11:18 PM   #17
DBH

Did they have decent storage size?
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2002, 07:18 PM   #18
nap

kturn offers 40mb storage space.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2002, 04:12 PM   #19
TiCkLe

similar to xdrive and idrive

www.streamload.com has something similar. They have account setups like fastmail. There's a guest account and paid ones. It's decent and usable. There's limits but it's better than nothing
TiCkLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2002, 11:53 PM   #20
Tango
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
kturn offers 40mb storage space.
Wow...I still remember a time when it used to offer (and boast about!) 125 megs, no strings attached!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2002, 03:52 AM   #21
admiralu
Essential Contributor

Post Office Emails

I looked at the demos for Contact Office. The site colors don't look as good as Hyperoffice. They have worked on the formatting links errors and the mail seems to be a bit faster. I do like the features for an all in one, if mostly for storage and calendar features. I don't know about Contact Office, those limits are pretty cheesy.
admiralu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2002, 07:11 AM   #22
admiralu
Essential Contributor

Post Drive space

I had accounts at both Xdrive and IDrive. The best was Driveway. They had an excellent interface and reliable, fast uploads. They went under first. I pay for some emails, but I won't pay for just storage. I am really pleased that I found Hyperoffice here! Thanks for letting us know about this! You are supposed to be able to purchase extra storage if you need it at Hyperoffice, but the links for that are temporarily disabled.
admiralu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2002, 12:30 PM   #23
famfindr

Today I received the following message in my hyperoffice account:

==========================================
Day 1 of your 30-day free trial

Hyperoffice has been acquired by Application Corporation. As you know, running an Internet service such as HyperOffice for free for 4 years is quite expensive. We are switching from a free model to a modestly priced membership model. To our 150,000 loyal users, such as yourselves, we are offering a significant discount to our normal membership fee that amounts to $19.95 upfront for a year (which comes out to only $1.66 per month or nickel a day!). Or if you prefer to pay per month our fee is only $2.95 per month.
Act now!! You only have 29 more days to register before your account is deactivated. Upon registration you will recieve additional features such as:
- 20 megabytes of extra storage space
- Big savings with a preferred "Charter Member" rate of $2.95 per month or $19.95 per year
- An additional 30-day risk-free trial period
- *** Coming Soon: POP3 account access to allow the use of your favorite email client ***

Choose a subscription plan:

Monthly Subscription $2.95 per month
Yearly Subscription $19.95 per year

I wonder if that means that they will now have someone available to respond to "customer service" enquiries?

Or update their "News headlines..."

Or speed up their email service.

Or add an address book import/export feature, or even allow the ability to add contacts from emails with an "Add to Contacts" button.

Or add a "Repeat this event" feature in their calendar.

Or....

Allan
famfindr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2002, 08:21 PM   #24
nitripps

Thumbs down

the idea behind it was good. the site is a great looking site, but the worst service in terms of timeliness. out of 10 messages in the box, only 1 took less than 4.5 hours, and that's the one that they sent trying to sell the new service.
most took over 7 hours and i know of 2 that never made it after trying 96 hours.

i can't imagine that they'll get much business.

nitripps
nitripps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2002, 05:33 PM   #25
famfindr

There are many features in HyperOffice that I like, if only they all worked! The email is unreliable, although it seems to have improved over the past couple of months.

Only half the links in their Applications section actually work. I tested all of them two days ago, and out of 18 applications (not including their own hyperoffice.com link) only 9 led to a valid site. The other half had errors such as:
1. "Cannot open site. Connection could not be established.";
2. "The page cannot be found. The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.";
3. "The page you requested does not exist on this server- the link you followed is either outdated or inaccurate. If you are here to start a meeting, join a meeting or sign up for our services, please use the links below....";
4. "Object Moved. This object may be found here. We're sorry! You have encountered a "Bad Request" error. The request could not be understood by the server due to malformed syntax. The client SHOULD NOT repeat the request without modifications. If the problem persists after trying again, please provide us with details of the problem you are experiencing in the text box below and we will address them as quickly as possible.";
Etc.

Other features that were promised as "Coming soon" were Weather and Stocks. Well, the weather has come and gone many times, and the stocks have gone up and come down again. And as for News, after many months of reading year-old news headlines they finally removed the old information, and now what we get is "There are no news headlines..."

Well, I always thought that no news is good news. How wrong I was. Now they want us to pay to use their "service."

On July 24th I received an email from hyperoffice.com about an "Important HyperOffice Service Change" inviting me to upgrade my account: "This move will enable us to stick to our principles of offering a professional, advertising free, business grade service to our loyal users and expanding our feature set with newer capabilities." They provided a link in the email to make it easy to upgrade. They also indicated that paid members would "receive incredible benefits such as completely revamped interface, future POP3 access to your email, future wireless and Palm access and a slew of new application and web service offerings that we are building now." That sounds like promises, promises....

I could only laugh when I received another email 20 hours later from the team offering "a professional...business grade" service:

Date Wed, 24 July 2002 10:45:29pm
From announcements@hyperoffice.com
To *********@ureach.com
Subject Important HyperOffice Service Correction

Dear Loyal Hyperoffice User,

In our earlier email today regarding the Hyperoffice Service Change, we inadvertently had a mistake in the link we provided you. To subscribe to the Hyperoffice Service please click on the correct link below:

http://www.hyperoffice.com/global/evalwindow.cfm

Thank you,

Drew and Shervin
The HyperOffice Team
=========================================

They have a lot of work to do in the next month if they expect this "Loyal Hyperoffice User" to upgrade to a service that, so far, has had so many shortcomings.

Allan
famfindr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2002, 07:03 AM   #26
andrew99

I am a Hyperoffice user and ex-evangelist...

but I pretty much gave up on it when they removed a load of the apps. I now have my own Yahoo! Group which offers most of the advantages of Hyperoffice as it now exists and - for the moment at least, is free.
andrew99 is offline   Reply With Quote