EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 27 May 2005, 02:47 PM   #1
metart
= Permanently banned =

Hotmail Retrieval

Slight issues with Hotmail retrieval. It doesn't work...could you please explain why?
metart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 May 2005, 08:27 PM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Depends.

Is it a FREE Hotmail account or PAID? If it's a FREE account then is it a NEW account (since around 01/05) or OLD account? If it's a NEW account it may not allow access to it unless you make it a PAID account. Hotmail started changing over to only allow PAID accounts to have HTTPMAIL access (this is the protocol used to download mail from Hotmail).

If it should allow access then try deleting your setup information and returning it. This has sometimes been known to get things restarted with Runbox Hotmail retrieve.

The Hotmail retrieve can be erratic at times. Apparently there can be lots of timeouts with the Hotmail connections. If this happens the downloads give ups and waits until next time to try again. As a result the "interval" setting isn't too useful. I would not recommend and "interval" value of less than "1 hour" just because it typically won't be able to do it. With a "1 hour" setting you can probably expect a few pulls a day.

Finally, I have hourly timestamped messages sent to my Hotmail account so I can tell when Hotmail retrieves have problems. Between 05/23/05 and 05/25/05 there were no Hotmail retrieves on my account.

A similar situation also applies to Lycos accounts because they also use HTTPMAIL.

When I wasn't getting messages from my Hotmail account I was getting messages from my Lycos accounts so I don't think it was a Runbox HTTPMAIL retrieve problem.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote