EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:18 PM   #31
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Re: This is too much

Quote:
Originally posted by CML209
A patch? Patches usually blow, for crying out loud.
All updates to the kernel are made as patches. This is how the Linux kernel is changed - through patches.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:19 PM   #32
rakhesh
Cornerstone of the Community

heehe! seems we are all posting at the same time here ...
rakhesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:21 PM   #33
CML209
Essential Contributor

FM Down - New thread

In the last ten minutes the estimated time for FM being up went from 2 to 3 to 4 AM EDT. I started this new thread because the other has dwindled into techspeak.
FM- This means I will not be able to access my mail at all tonight. THIS IS THE MOTHER OF ALL DOWNTIMES!!
You need to address this with more than patches. I am seriously not going to renew my annual when it comes due. The only thing that could even come close to helping me stay would be some recompense in contract time.
CMLane
If anyone thinks they can try to defend this downtime, please do. Take into consideration that not all the downtime shows up in the blog.
CML209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:31 PM   #34
rakhesh
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by bitequator
Anyways I inserted the backup MX servers in between FastMail's "smtp.us2" and "smtp.eu". It was a judgement call (instead of inserting in between "smtp.us" and "smtp.us2").

I was paranoid and went ahead set up both methods (redundantly) and rely on FM's duplicate suppression mechanism to delete any redundant copy of the same message. So in case FM was totally down and actually rejecting messages, the forwarding from the backup account would get lost but the POP3 fetching would still perform the job. On the other hand FastMail's POP3 fetching from external account is only once per hour at most, so usually I want it faster
When would mail come to the mailsnare backup server instead of fastmail's servers? When fastmail is totally down right? (That's my understanding; please correct me if I am wrong). So then when you forward mails from your backup account to fastmail during such a period, wouldn't they get queued up at fastmail's backup server (and not the mailsnare backup server coz u are forwarding to ur fastmail account) ... and so you will definitely get it later? (Once fastmail is up and the backup server distributes mails). Right?

But hmm, now that I write the above, I guess your setup makes sense in the eventuality when the backup server is down. Cool! Wow! Now I appreciate it a lot better ... yup, if the fastmail backup server too is down, then all ur mails would get lost ... better to do both options then. I guess that's what you mean by talking about fastmail "rejecting" mails and being totally down ... when the backup server too is down. Cool! Interesting ...

You got a good setup there bitequator. Time to do something similar myself!
rakhesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:36 PM   #35
audelair
Essential Contributor

yea, this is a really long downtime. i really don't want to stay up another 90 minutes to send out a few emails (especially since 90 minutes in FM-speak could very well be several hours).

I really hope they are making significant improvements with stability. I personally do not need ANY more features. I'd happily give up file storage and IMAP for a more stable system (and i sure don't need HTML composing). In a way, I almost feel like the FM philosophy is losing touch with the whole "taking email seriously" business. At this point, I feel like if I truly took my email seriously, I would go back to Yahoo, since it wins hands-down in reliability.
audelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:39 PM   #36
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Based on the start time of this thread and the latest estimated time of restoration (1am Pacific)... it's turning out to be an outage of a major sort: At least about 4.5 hours! I just hope it does go back up by 1am PDT.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:44 PM   #37
CML209
Essential Contributor

Yahoo is no answer

Yahoo is not very reliable by my standards. FM 2003 was reliable. I'll be working on offline storage starting tomorrow, which means I have to give up time on the other projects I am working on.
I love the IMAP and the Identities. These very features were available last year when things were fine.
I have a few months left on my contract and will be moving having more of my contacts use the alternate addresses that I have already begun using again. In that time, which could be made longer by FM, if the service returns, I will consider keeping the service.
Sorry FM. You really need to work at customer care on this one. I know you're trying hard, but the cheering section that applauds when things finally get up and running is getting smaller.
CMLane
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:45 PM   #38
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by rakhesh
When would mail come to the mailsnare backup server instead of fastmail's servers? When fastmail is totally down right? (That's my understanding; please correct me if I am wrong). So then when you forward mails from your backup account to fastmail during such a period, wouldn't they get queued up at fastmail's backup server (and not the mailsnare backup server coz u are forwarding to ur fastmail account) ... and so you will definitely get it later? (Once fastmail is up and the backup server distributes mails). Right?

But hmm, now that I write the above, I guess your setup makes sense in the eventuality when the backup server is down. Cool! Wow! Now I appreciate it a lot better ... yup, if the fastmail backup server too is down, then all ur mails would get lost ... better to do both options then. I guess that's what you mean by talking about fastmail "rejecting" mails and being totally down ... when the backup server too is down. Cool! Interesting ...
Yeah that's what I meant (thanks for answering for me ). Anyways all these ideas are just ones I picked up from others in the forum (all percolating)... DrS and such...

I just liked MailSnare since they additionally scan all received MX mail for viruses (though now FM is also using the same ClamAV). Plus multiple MX servers whereas Fusemail (and I think Tuffmail?) only has one. Also multiple destinations for virtual domain alias forwarding, and soon to be implemented system to support subdomain addressing & aliases that can be turned on and off per domain/subdomain.

Also I already do regular POP3 fetching from MailSnare anyways for messages bigger than 10MB...

Last edited by bitequator : 15 Aug 2004 at 04:02 PM.
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:47 PM   #39
bsp75088

Obviously with the track record of Fastmail over the past month, I should get my mail from school delivered to a different address. Sometimes I need immediate access to it, and I can't be waiting for an hour or FOUR. Just wish I would have looked at these forums before I became a fastmail member.
bsp75088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:50 PM   #40
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

Actually I'm considering swapping my configuration so that MailSnare is the primary MX and FastMail is secondary (which is how some of my family members are already set up). But still have the MailSnare forward mail to FM, and have FM POP3 fetch from MailSnare.

As mentioned previously, an added advantage is being able to receive messages bigger than 10MB to the same own-domain address (without having to give my correspondents a different address just to send large messages to). Since MailSnare has 100MB email size limit, the emails less than 10MB can be forwarded immediately to FM, and then all messages (including the larger ones) can still be POP3 fetched by FM...

P.S. Actually I had previously also set up backup email forwarding via ZoneEdit, MyDomain, and eNom MX servers for most of these same domains (the ZoneEdit & eNom are paid accounts and still active while the MyDomain would need to be activated again). But I no longer saw the point to tag on all these extra MX servers...

Edit: Oh I just realized, sorry for getting Jeremy's outage announcement thread sidetracked off-topic, I apologize
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:52 PM   #41
CML209
Essential Contributor

There were few downtimes the last 4 months of 2003. It's not just been the last few months, these problems started in January and seem to creep up every couple weeks, or in a month there might be a period of some days running.
I have listened to others say how they started having important mail sent elsewhere, and in the last few months I have noticed that I am doing the exact same thing. That left me with the underlying feeling of the need to do something. Now it's a major concern.
CMLane
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:52 PM   #42
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Hrm... the irony. My own-domain mail is safe at all times, due to a similar double-redundancy system... but I hardly use my own domain for mailing and rely on my FM aliases. I know, stupid move, but my domain ain't pretty...

Oh well... I guess I can go back to sleep and check back in an hour or two...

(Quite a different sunday from last week, eh Jeremy?)

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:56 PM   #43
bsp75088

Glad I'm not the only one to consider it. They seem to be working hard on the issue, but if the outages keep getting longer, that could cause some very large issues for some people.
bsp75088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2004, 03:59 PM   #44
The Dude
= Permanently banned =

What caused the issue??????

The Dude
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2004, 04:01 PM   #45
kander
The "e" in e-mail

The Dude: See Jeremy's first post in the other thread.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote