EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Jun 2008, 02:14 AM   #1
eb743

Question Using Mailto: on FireFox 3

Anyone there figure out how to set Fastmail as the Mailto: default on Firefox3?
eb743 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Jun 2008, 08:17 PM   #2
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Ah neat, looking up a bit, here's what to do. A little annoying that it's multi-step, but anyway...

1. Type "about:config" in the address bar
2. Search for allowRegisterFromDifferentHost, and it should find an entry called gecko.handlerService.allowRegisterFromDifferentHost
3. Right-click the entry and select Toggle to make it true (this opens a temporary security hole we close in step 7 below)
4. Ctrl-T to open a new tab
5. In the addressbar, enter:

Code:
javascript:window.navigator.registerProtocolHandler("mailto","http://www.fastmail.fm/mail/?MSignal=MC-FN**%s","FastMail")
6. It should popup something about "Add this handler?" Click the button to accept it. Close the tab.
7. Go back to the about:config tab, and toggle the setting again to false (this closes the temporary security hole)

That's it, mailto: links in Firefox should now go to FastMail.

To completely remove the handler if you ever want to, go to Tools -> Options -> Applications tab. Enter "mailto" in the search field. You'll see an entry that as "mailto" on the left, and a popup menu on the right. Select "Application details..." from the popup menu. You can Remove the FastMail handler there.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2008, 10:15 PM   #3
eb743

Wink

Rob, Thank you so much. Can't tell you how much I appreciate that help. This little bit of advice will allow me to seamlessly change from the dial-up I've been using these past years to a wireless modem w/o too much trouble.

EB
eb743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2008, 05:13 AM   #4
nricciardi

I think this post should be made sticky or at least go into Fastmail's help.

Thank you very much for posting this.
nricciardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2008, 04:13 PM   #5
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Can someone add it to the wiki for the moment (wiki.fastmail.fm). I'll add it to the new help when I have a moment...

Rob
Old 18 Jun 2008, 11:07 PM   #6
anotherJeremy
Essential Contributor

nice trick--thanks

Any way not to have to log in every time?
anotherJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2008, 04:47 AM   #7
Random832

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherJeremy View Post
Any way not to have to log in every time?
I clicked the "long term (auto login)" checkbox when I logged in and then could use it without logging in every time. You can change "http" to "https" in the line rob gave to use https
Random832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2008, 02:02 AM   #8
JRobert
Master of the @

Rob: Is there any way to get my username into that javascript string? I'm willing to (prefer to) login by hand typing my password but it would be handy to have the username pre-typed when the login page comes up.
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2008, 03:38 PM   #9
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobert View Post
Rob: Is there any way to get my username into that javascript string? I'm willing to (prefer to) login by hand typing my password but it would be handy to have the username pre-typed when the login page comes up.
No sorry, not at the moment.

Rob
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:03 AM   #10
JRobert
Master of the @

Ah, well - still, it's very handy with 'Send Link...' for referring someone to a web page. Thanks!
Old 4 Jul 2008, 04:40 AM   #11
henrico
Essential Contributor

Works fine. Thanks.
henrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2008, 02:03 PM   #12
IanO

I just tried this out and it works. You get the Fastmail login.

I have another PC where I click on a mailto: link and it goes straight to compose, already logged in!

Now I do have Fastcheck on that PC and I vaguely remember this has something to do with it, but it still works even if I quit Fastcheck first.

Anyone know how this works?
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2008, 08:58 AM   #13
IanO

I'll answer my own question:

Fastcheck sets itself as the Default mail client which means it sets up this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command = "C:\Program Files\FastCheck\FastCheck.exe" /C %1

Once you setup Fastcheck with your account information and it runs that command it automatically logs you in and goes to Compose with the to: address filled in (and the subject if there is one).

As I mentioned in the last post this still works even if Fastcheck is NOT running. So you could use Fastcheck for this even if you don't want to use it for it's normal function of notifying you of new email.
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2008, 05:47 AM   #14
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
Fastcheck sets itself as the Default mail client which means it sets up this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command = "C:\Program Files\FastCheck\FastCheck.exe" /C %1

Once you setup Fastcheck with your account information and it runs that command it automatically logs you in and goes to Compose with the to: address filled in (and the subject if there is one).
I don't know why, but that doesn't work for me - perhaps because I upgraded to FF3 after installing fastcheck? I'll try reinstalling fastcheck

J.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2008, 01:13 AM   #15
JRobert
Master of the @

Chances are you'd only need to run Fastcheck and re-specify in the account settings that it (FC) should be the mailto: handler.