EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 5 Feb 2022, 08:56 PM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Runbox having some problems

POP and IMAP have been down for quite awhile. Saw this on Twitter:
Quote:
Runbox@Runbox
·
7m
Replying to
@Runbox
IMAP/POP services are not yet fully restored and we are continuing investigations to resolve the issue.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Feb 2022, 10:25 PM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
POP and IMAP have been down for quite awhile.
Runbox on Twitter:

Quote:
We are a small team but we do try to cover all time zones every day of the year. In this case the surveillance about this outage was unfortunately disguised by other alerts relating to recent upgrades.
Fortunately for myself, Runbox is not my primary account, so little impact on myself, but others have reported (on Twitter) being without IMAP/POP for up to 12 hours!

Also, the lack of information from Runbox - no mention of problems on their support or Twitter channels for many hours - leaving users frustrated.

That's disappointing, Runbox.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2022, 05:16 AM   #3
evfrson

So glad I left Runbox because of their awful support.
Always had the impression they run it as a side hustle with minimum resources as can be seen with their never ending webmail beta.
evfrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2022, 05:35 AM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

On the Runbox Community Forum, there was a very brief message from Geir:

https://community.runbox.com/t/any-e...storation/1690

Quote:
We apologize for the downtime and our system administrators are working to restore IMAP and POP services.
Old 30 Mar 2022, 02:47 AM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post

Fortunately for myself, Runbox is not my primary account, so little impact on myself, but others have reported (on Twitter) being without IMAP/POP for up to 12 hours!

Also, the lack of information from Runbox - no mention of problems on their support or Twitter channels for many hours - leaving users frustrated.

That's disappointing, Runbox.
Oh dear, the same problems again - Runbox down for ages and no communication from their support!

For myself, IMAP access has been down for about 7 hours (webmail is currently working) and, checking on Twitter, I'm not the only one.

I wish I knew what's happening with Runbox - their recent downtimes are annoying, but really annoying that their support is not stepping up and keeping their customers informed.

This is so NOT like the Runbox I've known over the years.

Update: Finally an update from Runbox on Twitter:

Quote:
There are currently some IMAP/POP issues for some customers. We are looking in to the exact cause of this, but it looks like it could be a brute force attack on our servers. We will update this post when we have further information.

Last edited by FredOnline : 30 Mar 2022 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Update:
Old 30 Mar 2022, 04:43 PM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

A comment from Geir on the Runbox Community Forum:

Quote:
Thank you again for your comments and your support.

We absolutely agree that we should be more responsive with our customers here and in other channels during incidents.

Although these incidents always seem to hit at the worst possible time for our team this is no excuse and we should and will do better.
For context, this 'worst possible time' was from around lunchtime on a weekday in Norway.
Old 30 Mar 2022, 08:13 PM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

I have never used Runbox, but it seems to me they have way too many outages and problems compared to many other systems.
Old 31 Mar 2022, 10:39 PM   #8
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Been a customer and supporter of Runbox for a long time (except for their webmail beta, which I just do NOT like) and I too have been surprised at the recent downtime and lack of responsiveness. I hope this is a wake-up call to the team there, because they are good people and a good business, but if this keeps happening, it's going to push a lot of customers away.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2022, 02:55 AM   #9
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Geir has commented over on their Community forum:

https://community.runbox.com/t/imap-...ow-eta/1737/35
Old 16 Apr 2022, 08:20 AM   #10
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Good response overall... encouraging to see that. Thanks for the heads up on Geir's comments. Now let's see what happens in the future.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2022, 09:50 PM   #11
TenFour
Master of the @

Hmmm. Detailed explanation, but it does raise some red flags.
Quote:
Because staff routinely operate from different geographic locations to cover all time zones, and some at this time had varying cell phone coverage, this additionally delayed our response.
Shouldn't that improve the response time? But some of the support people have no cell phone coverage? That's weird.

And then from the community forum:
Quote:
IMAP has been been down for 7 or 8 hours now, and that is confirmed by the status page at NodePing - Monitoring 8. Any ETA for getting it back up and running?
Really? No support messages for the equivalent of an entire working day? That is more than just some confusion over what is going on.