EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 3 Mar 2018, 06:38 PM   #16
MagnumOpus

When online, always use an alias, unless you're dealing with someone whom you're reasonably sure you can trust.

Also, has anyone noticed an increasing number of Facebook users going private?
MagnumOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2018, 12:32 PM   #17
xenas

I think anyone who uses Facebook can say something about anonimity. All these questions on your profile are basically data that can be used against you. That's why I keep everything on my profile blank except for my name.
xenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2018, 07:12 AM   #18
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Well thats so they can spy on you.......... I know several people who wont work with someone like that...
Maybe so, but then you might not get the job you want either! I am reminded of people I used to speak to at trade shows all over the country. We would be offering free stuff for people willing to sign up with their contact information. Most would happily do so and some lucky person would get the free stuff. There would inevitably be someone upset that they had to provide contact information in order to get the free stuff. It is a swap. You sign up, you get the free stuff, the company gets to pitch products to you, and most people are happy with the deal. If you are not, you can opt out by not participating.

However, I think with privacy today it is a one-sided deal. You are giving up lots of information about yourself whether you like it or not due to everything being tracked, and if you opt out of the free stuff you get no benefit. With extraordinary efforts you might limit what information you give up, but in the end it makes no difference other than you have cut yourself off from the benefits without any gain.
TenFour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2018, 06:34 AM   #19
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
By accident I was listening to this discussion with Walter Isaacson concerning Leonardo DaVinci while I read your post. So I read the article you mentioned while listening to the following:
https://www.pri.org/stories/2018-01-...ter-impresario

I agree with Isaacson. We would never agree to anonymity in our direct personal interactions. Let me give you some examples:
  • Would you drop your children off at a school where the teachers wore masks and hid their identity? Of course not.
  • Would a bank give you a loan if you walked in wearing a mask with no identification? No!
  • When I visit customer offices as part of my work (I’m in technical sales), I must show my driver license or other photo identification (such as a passport) at every government office, government contractor office, and all but the smallest commercial offices.
  • If anyone could send through your email provider’s SMTP sending server (which is called an open relay), a spammer could send many thousands of spam and malware messages per hour using a bot and they could not be stopped (since they would be anonymous). This happened in the early deployment of email, but open relays now are not allowed due to their misuse and the fact that the owner of the serve can’t charge for running the server.
  • If the EMD Forums allowed anyone to post without setting up an account with a password, the deluge of spam would make this website unusable.
  • If someone could anonymously make a claim to law enforcement about you and that was all that was needed to convict you, or law enforcement couldn’t identify someone they arrested while committing a crime, our system of laws would fall apart.
Bill

Excuse me, but we have all kinds of interactions in real life that are completely anonymous.
-I can make cash purchases in any ordinary store.
-I can stroll into a a library or book store and read anything anonymously on the premises.
-I can have casual conversations with strangers.
-I can attend any kind of entertainment event anonymously, as long as it doesn't involve a credit card payment.
-I can do a variety of postal actions, including sending mail, anonymously.

The examples you're using are all long-term relationships where something crucial is at stake. That doesn't necessarily hold true on the internet.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2018, 08:43 AM   #20
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
Excuse me, but we have all kinds of interactions in real life that are completely anonymous.
-I can make cash purchases in any ordinary store.
-I can stroll into a a library or book store and read anything anonymously on the premises.
-I can have casual conversations with strangers.
-I can attend any kind of entertainment event anonymously, as long as it doesn't involve a credit card payment.
-I can do a variety of postal actions, including sending mail, anonymously.

The examples you're using are all long-term relationships where something crucial is at stake. That doesn't necessarily hold true on the internet.
You might not be anonymous when performing all of those activities.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote