EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Oct 2002, 02:46 PM   #1
funperro

I love fastcheck, BUT....

As far as I know, fastcheck is not able to check email accounts other than fastmail accounts (please, tell me I'm wrong here!). I would love to be able to also have fastcheck check my work email for me. Is this at all planned for the future, or am I ignorant and just didn't see the feature?

Thanks -
funperro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Oct 2002, 03:26 PM   #2
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

I agree with this. I have always wanted this functionality. I know that you could create a pop-link, but I really need instant notification for this second account, so I have to use ePrompter, which is annoying when I could just use one.
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2002, 04:35 PM   #3
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Unfortunately FastCheck relies on server-specific features of FastMail.FM for many parts of its operation.

It's up to Eric to say whether he's going to expand the range of supported accounts, but I do know that it would be a fair bit of work so you probably shouldn't hold your breath...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2002, 05:24 PM   #4
spiderman

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Hi all,

As I said on the FastCheck forum, this is indeed my plan to extend it to work with standard IMAP and POP accounts, but I have to focus on something first and it was FastMail & FastServices... Mainly because it's what I use ;-)
Also, I only work on FC overnight and at WEs (and not all WEs!), as I do some proper work for a proper company ;-) who pays for it
My next step is to implement FastServices, which will provide improved performance, lower bandwidth usage and, later, better functionality. I hope to have a working beta within a month or so.
Then, I'll focus on the standard IMAP & POP accounts...

Also, the goodies like working behind firewalls propably won't work with standard accounts (all providers are not as nice as J&R and won't let me install scripts on the web sites!). I may have something in mind for that though.

Don't expect a POP or IMAP version before the end of the year, but maybe first quarter 2003? (I'm moving to Oz and taking some holidays over the new year, so I won't be coding for some time )

Eric
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2002, 10:33 PM   #5
funperro

thanks

Thanks for the prompt replies. Can anyone recommend an *imap* mail checker? Eprompter is POP only..

later
Andrew
Old 8 Oct 2002, 12:13 AM   #6
spiderman

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Before FastCheck, I used to use IMAPNotify...
Old 8 Oct 2002, 02:35 AM   #7
funperro

imapnotify

I have been using this as well. The problem is that I can't check my work email with it. My work email is set up so I have to use SSL with IMAP. It works with OE, but not in IMAPnotify. Anyone have any other suggestions other than imapnotify for checking imap mail?

thanks -
Old 8 Oct 2002, 02:53 AM   #8
funperro

nevermind

Forget about it.. my solution: I forwarded by work email to my fastmail account and set up a rule to put the work email in a specified folder. Now I'll either use fastcheck or IMAPnotify.. whichever one is better. I'll go try fastcheck again now..

later, and thanks for any and all help!
Old 8 Oct 2002, 03:57 AM   #9
funperro

Outlook express: I need it to check other folders besides "inbox"

Ok.. everything is *finally* good.. except for one little thing. Here is my current setup: I have my work email forwarded to fastmail, and a rule set up within fastmail to dump all work email into a folder named "Inbox Work". My problem is that whenever a new email arrives into the "Inbox Work" folder, OE doesn't recognize it as "new mail", so I don't get the little notification sound that plays when new mail comes in. Is there any way I can fix this?

Sorry for all the posts

Thanks -
Old 8 Oct 2002, 04:02 AM   #10
spiderman

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
I suppose I'll have to work on the POP+IMAP support asap...