EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 Sep 2016, 10:35 PM   #1
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Best email client for Android

I generally use the fastmail app plus K9, for offline access. I'm tired of K9 though and am interested in something that offers multiple personalities and signatures... Thoughts?
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Sep 2016, 01:07 AM   #2
bertradio

Try Aquamail

I've used Aquamail for a year. It is by far the most flexible Android mail client I've found.
bertradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2016, 01:37 AM   #3
fmail_fan

After trying quite a few different email apps I've also settled on AquaMail. It is very flexible with many options but of course that flexibility increases the complexity of the app. The documentation is good though (nice FAQs) and the developer (just one) actively participates in the AquaMail forum.

It supports personalities (identities in AquaMail) and each can have its own signature. The 'lite' (free) version allows only two mail accounts, has no identity support and adds a promo signature to all outgoing messages with a link to the program's web site. I purchased the Pro version ($4.95) within a week of trying it out with no regrets.

Another important feature: the app does not use cloud storage to store user data. It interacts with the FastMail servers directly.
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2016, 06:12 AM   #4
ewal
Master of the @

Maildroid

Tons of options, fast and bullet proof. One major advantage over Fastmail's own client is offline access.

Edward
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2016, 07:58 PM   #5
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

I thought K9 did have multiple personalities. I was able to send from a few of my different email addresses. I don't monkey around with the signatures much though. Still, for research's sake, I'm going to look at some of the others mentioned just to see what they are like.
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2016, 08:00 PM   #6
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
K9 does, I just get tired of the dated interface...
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2016, 02:33 AM   #7
BS FM user

Also trying Aquamail

I had been looking forward to using the Fastmail App on a new Android because before I had a Windows phone that did not support the App. Now that I am using Android, in retrospect, I have discovered the Windows phone was not so bad, and that the Fastmail App did not keep any email offline. Am trying Aqua and like it so far. Do people use Aqua as well as Fastmail app on the same phone? Is there a trick to bring your contacts into Aqua/your phone?
BS FM user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2016, 07:00 AM   #8
fmail_fan

Quote:
BS FM user wrote: Do people use Aqua as well as Fastmail app on the same phone?
I just use AquaMail, which works well for me. I don't have a large volume of email so reading/replying/filing into folders is most of my email activity. I use the web interface for other maintenance operations.

Quote:
BS FM user wrote: Is there a trick to bring your contacts into Aqua/your phone?
I don't believe AquaMail supports an address book. To sync your FastMail contacts to your Android device you will need to install a contact sync app that supports CardDAV, the protocol used by FastMail. See the link below for some help on setting this up:

https://www.fastmail.com/help/client....html#contacts
Old 24 Sep 2016, 05:03 PM   #9
BS FM user

Thanks, it works!

I have also upgraded to premium Aquamail for the identities and it is working beautifully. I got appified with CalDav and CardDav and now my data is finally in one place (I think) and more or less out of the reach of the Google folks. Good tip, Fastmail fan.
BS FM user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2017, 09:49 AM   #10
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

I am trying out Aqua Mail and it looks good so far. I note that messages sent from this client on my phone appear twice in the Sent folder. Is there a setting I have messed up, or failed to configure?

Regards, AB
aussieboykie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2017, 10:08 AM   #11
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieboykie View Post
I am trying out Aqua Mail and it looks good so far. I note that messages sent from this client on my phone appear twice in the Sent folder. Is there a setting I have messed up, or failed to configure?

Regards, AB
FastMail, properly configured, will save copies of emails when they are sent via SMTP. AquaMail, by default, will then save a second copy using IMAP. My own opinion is that you should keep the copy saved by FastMail (as it ensures it is a faithful representation of the messages really sent) and disable the IMAP copy of the message to the Sent folder. See http://www.aqua-mail.com/?page_id=227 under Is there a way to save sent messages on the server? to see how that works. If you prefer (I do not favor this) you can turn off the FastMail saving instead. See the Identity advanced settings and look for saving to the Sent folder at SMTP time.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2017, 10:10 AM   #12
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

Found the answer to my own question under Settings --> Identities and Fetch --> Save a copy when sending through 3rd party email clients.

Regards, AB

[Edit] ..and thanks BritTim for that link. I'll probably go with your recommendation.
aussieboykie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2017, 05:56 AM   #13
SaintGermain

I was interested by Aquamail but I then learnt that it was bought by Mobisystems (not really recommended company) and that it now includes the Flurry tracker.
That was enough to scare me off.
SaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2017, 06:16 AM   #14
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

I swear by the mail.ru app...it is very versatile with tons of options and free!! It handles almost any email provider not just mail.ru.

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2017, 04:05 AM   #15
fmail_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintGermain View Post
I was interested by Aquamail but I then learnt that it was bought by Mobisystems (not really recommended company) and that it now includes the Flurry tracker.
That was enough to scare me off.
There is a fairly new setting that turns off usage statistics (Flurry). "Settings > Send usage statistics". It defaults to checked (on).