EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Nov 2012, 05:34 PM   #346
oslostock

To new visitors: please note that this thread contains positive testimonials only.

Any critical feedback is moved out of this thread by moderators.

Moderators: this should made clear to avoid giving a misleading first impression to new visitors.

I'd be happy to delete this message. (Or you could move it away as well...)
oslostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2012, 07:42 PM   #347
Gmailuser

The new interface is fantastic! Better then Gmail's interface! I was a Gmail user 1 year ago, but I made the swith and I am satiesfied. Looks like you put a lot of effort into the new interface, and the results is amazing. Keep up the good work!
Gmailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2013, 02:35 PM   #348
b7j0c

another kudos for new ui

i'm back from gmail. thanks fm team!
b7j0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2014, 08:36 AM   #349
Faina2007

Hi, just discovered Fastmail some days ago and moved on from Gmail tired of being asked my phone number,genre,and et etc etc
I am a more than average user and found FM as a superb service that suits all of my email needs.
(BTW couldn t register here using IE, then opened chrome and it worked...)

Regards.
Faina2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2014, 05:20 AM   #350
olof_w

I've recently switched from GMail to Fastmail for my private mail at home and I love it. Its not just about privacy, the fast mail HTML client is fantastic and the added small features like notes, files and contacts just adds to the impression of a well run service.

Looking forward to the calender and contact sync !
olof_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2014, 03:15 AM   #351
nafak

Thumbs up Fantastic

I don't usually write testimonials, but the hassle I have had with two other email services lately (I won't name them), then to find an amazing service like this which has helped me out to no end, I just had to.

All I wanted was to add my custom domain, and have my emails forwarded in a reasonable time frame, not 30 mins to 12 hours, but with the other two email services I used that was just too much to ask for, and in this day and age it's something I expect from a service... then I came across fastmail, and within 30 mins I had it setup easily, all emails being forwarded correctly and instantly within a second of being sent, unbelievably reliable and fast, without any hicups! I'm a very happy fella, and after my trial expires I will certainly be purchasing full time subscription, as the pricing is amazing too.

@fastmail team, keep up the good work, you have relieved the headache I have had lately with other mail providers.
nafak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2014, 05:54 AM   #352
Culmore

Back from gmail, cant think of anything I miss , my own domain names are working well, good tech support, helpful forums, very clean web client, fast searching, standard IMAP even mac mail is happy, all my gmail emails copied across with no problem server to server, no lock-in cause I use my own domain names.

I think fastmail can give gmail a run for its money feature wise and win. When it comes to concerns about removal of features or interfaces e.g. IMAP/CardDav etc, messing about with standards, privacy, then fastmail is the winner by far.

PS If I have to choose between tags and folders for organsing emails I'll choose folders!!!! Shoot me....
Culmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2014, 12:37 AM   #353
EmailHosting

Representative of:
EmailHosting.com
Cool I've Tried It

I've tried it and I can attest to the fact that it is fast.
EmailHosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2014, 10:07 AM   #354
donbright

wonderfull, marvelous

It feels so good to finally be on an email service where I am a paying customer, instead of a product to be sold to advertisers.

The Yubikey integration to fastmail is absolutely brilliant.

I want to echo the comments above. Especially about the clean, beautiful html code that fastmail's crew has produced.

Thanks.
donbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2014, 05:53 AM   #355
tgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oslostock View Post
To new visitors: please note that this thread contains positive testimonials only.

Any critical feedback is moved out of this thread by moderators.

Moderators: this should made clear to avoid giving a misleading first impression to new visitors.

I'd be happy to delete this message. (Or you could move it away as well...)
Why in the world would you be doing this????? How about giving realistic impressions (first or otherwise).

Although FastMail may be "rock solid" as some others have noted, it certainly has some major issues.

For instance, FastMail uses totally non-standard email rooting and folder naming schemes that make it problematic when trying to integrate into standard applications. For example, most email services place sent mail in the "SENT" folder, FastMail uses "SENT MAIL" instead. Similarly, Fastmail uses "JUNK ITEMS" instead of "JUNK" like most others use. That imbedded space causes real problems in popular email apps like Thunderbird. Most services root their email in a flat email format (all individual folders), but FastMail instead have all their folders as a subfolder under "INBOX". Dumb!

When you consider the prices they are charging these days for the small storage space provide, then maybe people would be best served by looking around.
tgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2014, 09:23 AM   #356
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Exclamation Thunderbird automatically configures itself with Fastmail

Welcome to the EMD Forums!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm View Post
...For instance, FastMail uses totally non-standard email rooting and folder naming schemes that make it problematic when trying to integrate into standard applications. For example, most email services place sent mail in the "SENT" folder, FastMail uses "SENT MAIL" instead. Similarly, Fastmail uses "JUNK ITEMS" instead of "JUNK" like most others use. That imbedded space causes real problems in popular email apps like Thunderbird...
I respectfully submit that your description of the IMAP folder names and what is non-standard isn't correct. In particular, Thunderbird automatically sets itself up with Fastmail very easily, as shown below.
  • The Fastmail standard folder names (from the user Folders screen) which the user can't change are:
    • Inbox (from a user point of view, but all folders on many IMAP servers are actually subfolders of the root folder INBOX, with the folder separator "."; Thunderbird and all modern email clients can handle this properly - see this help page for more details on root folder/path and port 992 use)
    • Archive
    • Drafts
    • Sent Items (not SENT MAIL), shown as Sent on the Mail screen
    • Trash
    • Junk Mail (not JUNK ITEMS), shown as Spam on the Mail screen
    • Chats (might be ignored by clients)
    • (Templates and Notes folders are also often set up, but these names can be changed)
  • Thunderbird (latest version is 31.2.0) will automatically set all of this up with a Fastmail account with minimal user intervention. All you need to do with a fresh Thunderbird setup is:
    • Select Create a new account: Email
    • Skip this (offer) and use my existing email
    • Enter your name, Fastmail email address, and Fastmail password (with Remember password selected) and click Continue
    • Use default configuration (which Thunderbird discovered at the Fastmail server) and click Done at the bottom.
    • You now have access to the Inbox folder. To set up the other folders, you need to select your new account name in the folder list and choose Manage folder subscriptions. This will add whichever Fastmail folders you wish to use.
    • I can't see how this could be any easier!
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2014, 09:55 PM   #357
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm View Post
Why in the world would you be doing this????? How about giving realistic impressions (first or otherwise).
If you look at who posted this, they are not a fastmail representative. Oslostock appears to be trying to get things stirred up. It should be noted that his critical post and yours too, were both not moved.

There have been occasions where support needs were moved out of this forum, because this is not a forum for asking support. The moderators, from what i understand, are not fastmail employees and the forums they moderate have three competing email services. Their job is to keep this forum showing testimonials, good or bad and to move emails related to fixing problems and issues to the places where all the other issues are found.

Moving an email related to fixing a problem to it's own thread helps others who may have that same problem. This on no way hides any issues, in fact it makes the issue more prominent, because it has its own thread and title, and it shows up more prominently when someone searches.

Finally, it should be noted that in 10-11 years on these forums, I don't recall any critical post being deleted. All are recorded here in these forums.

To keep us back on topic, I've been a paying enhanced member for 11 years and am excited about the recent addition of calendars to fastmail. I need carddav implementation as soon as possible so I can free myself of the Google. Then, fastmail will be an incredible email service.

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2015, 02:12 AM   #358
COMDM

Good Luck

I don't usually write testimonials, but the hassle I have had with two other email services lately (I won't name them), then to find an amazing service like this which has helped me out to no end, I just had to.
COMDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2015, 07:22 PM   #359
steventay

From Fastmail Back to Google's Gmail

found this...

From Fastmail Back to Google's Gmail
Posted on Sunday, 8 March 2015

I really like FastMail. But I'm going back to Google's Gmail after almost two years of being a FastMail User.

Why? Have I fell off the proverbial rocker?
A final word on FastMail
I still love FastMail and would easily recommend them to anyone I know. It is by far the best e-mail provider I have ever used and the web interface is head and shoulders above any other service (including Gmail). I would reconsider going back to FastMail in the future if their pricing model changed, their spam filtering got better and Mailbox started supporting IMAP (seriously, Mailbox is almost reason alone to use Gmail or iCloud).

Will I live to regret moving back to Gmail? Unlikely. I'm a small fish in a very big pond. But if that pond suddenly gets a lot smaller, I won't have to think twice before I move back to FastMail.

Who knows what the future may hold.

read more..
http://theinterstitial.net/2015/03/f...googles-gmail/

Last edited by steventay : 23 Jun 2015 at 07:27 PM.
steventay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2015, 07:46 PM   #360
steventay

Gmail vs Fastmail

Gmail vs Fastmail
JANUARY 16, 2015 BY ANDREW
Conclusion
I decided to go with Google Apps for work because it has double the storage space and more apps included for just $10 more. If you don’t use video calls, voice calls, don’t need much space(lower than 15GB), don’t use google docs, sheets and/or slide, you would be better off with Fastmail. For me it was Google all the way.

read more
http://opengmail.com/gmail-vs-fastmail/

time for fastmail to provide cheaper...
steventay is offline   Reply With Quote