EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 15 Mar 2021, 03:37 AM   #61
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
I spent several months using it as my primary, just because I really liked the uniqueness of it. I’m a fan, and it’s definitely unique. For me it got to the point that it’s unique features became a burden on my time. A week of downtime and suddenly I have a few hundred senders to “approve.” That really overwhelmed and discouraged me, leading to a deeper hole. Now with a few thousand I’ve kind of abandoned the account.

I have two primary addresses, one hosted with me and one that moves around. The one that moves around is always trying different services just to gain insight into how others are doing things differently. Hey definitely is appealing to a certain type of person that other services won’t likely appeal to in the same way.

Forwarding email into it was lovely. They didn’t filter forwarded inbound with an excessively heavy hand, with or without SRS. For some that could be problematic, for others preferred.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2021, 12:43 PM   #62
OneTrickPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
Consumers like to say they value their privacy, but are they finally willing to pay for it?
Lavabit is $30 a year and is so anti-surveillance the owner basically bankrupted himself to keep intelligence agencies from snooping around his servers. If privacy is your top concern, I can't imagine going anywhere else.

HEY, based on media coverage appears to have venture capital backing - which makes backdoors likely.
OneTrickPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 09:36 PM   #63
TenFour
Master of the @

Basecamp employees are decamping. https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/30/ba...it-ceo-letter/

Here's Basecamp/Hey's blog about some of the changes they've made that are chasing employees away. https://world.hey.com/jason/changes-...ecamp-7f32afc5

This article says one-third of the employees have left: https://gizmodo.com/one-third-of-bas...-fo-1846801378

Last edited by TenFour : 1 May 2021 at 10:05 PM.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 08:02 AM   #64
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Basecamp employees are decamping. https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/30/ba...it-ceo-letter/

Here's Basecamp/Hey's blog about some of the changes they've made that are chasing employees away. https://world.hey.com/jason/changes-...ecamp-7f32afc5

This article says one-third of the employees have left: https://gizmodo.com/one-third-of-bas...-fo-1846801378
I am considering not continuing my subscription to Hey. For me it's not only the product that's important, but also the people behind.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 10:06 PM   #65
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

How Basecamp blew up

Inside the all-hands meeting that led a third of the company to quit, and an executive to resign.
https://www.platformer.news/p/-how-basecamp-blew-up
Old 17 May 2021, 11:58 PM   #66
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

According to Twitter, they've now lost 43% of employees, including senior people and I believe the whole iOS team. Looks pretty tragic, glad I didn't stick with them for several reasons. I had tested them before (and posted a while back about them with positive impressions), and then decided to give them a chance, but the search feature was unusable for me. And then the implosion happened. I'm not sure how they bounce back after this mess. At least not anytime soon.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 07:43 AM   #67
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneja View Post
According to Twitter, they've now lost 43% of employees, including senior people and I believe the whole iOS team. Looks pretty tragic, glad I didn't stick with them for several reasons. I had tested them before (and posted a while back about them with positive impressions), and then decided to give them a chance, but the search feature was unusable for me. And then the implosion happened. I'm not sure how they bounce back after this mess. At least not anytime soon.
Give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Until the end of my subscription anyway. So far I don't notice any degradation in the service.
Old 18 May 2021, 08:47 AM   #68
ioneja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Until the end of my subscription anyway. So far I don't notice any degradation in the service.
Yeah, I'm not suggesting anyone cancel their subscriptions (unless they don't like the politics or features), but in my case, not only was I unhappy with certain features (search being the *worst* search I've seen in a long time), there's no chance those things will be fixed any time soon, and I can't see forward motion happening until they can bring all the new hires up to speed. A lot of institutional knowledge was lost. And who knows what will happen with the iOS app. The whole iOS team resigned. But I read somewhere that the infrastructure team was still in place, so it will probably at least be stable for the time being. Best of luck for those that stay.
Old 21 May 2021, 08:26 PM   #69
TenFour
Master of the @

If a company loses 43% of its employees and its products and services don't suffer what does that say about how the company was run? Plus, I would suspect that a high number of remaining employees are disgruntled but didn't leave at this point. Same with customers--sure a lot stayed because it is a pain to switch any major platform, but you can bet they will be looking closely at their options. A huge mess up like this will take some time to recover from.
Old 22 May 2021, 08:03 AM   #70
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
If a company loses 43% of its employees and its products and services don't suffer what does that say about how the company was run? Plus, I would suspect that a high number of remaining employees are disgruntled but didn't leave at this point. Same with customers--sure a lot stayed because it is a pain to switch any major platform, but you can bet they will be looking closely at their options. A huge mess up like this will take some time to recover from.
After 3 weeks of silence it looks Basecamp is back on the track.
4 new features rolled out since this week:
  • You can now collapse long newsletters you don't care to read till the end with the "see less" button in The Feed.
  • Write emails in a new window with the SHIFT+W hotkey on desktop.
  • Optimized speed of The Feed.
  • Importing an existing subscriber list from another newsletter into HEY World.
Old 22 May 2021, 08:50 PM   #71
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
After 3 weeks of silence it looks Basecamp is back on the track.
Ha! No apology from management. Just keep plunging forward, ignoring the mess internally and the loss of trust from customers and employees. Something that blows up that big indicates big management problems, which does not bode well longterm.
Old 22 May 2021, 10:37 PM   #72
ioneja

The developer friends I've chatted with about this (and I am surprised how many knew about it), pretty much agreed on three things - first, while no developer is "indispensable," there's still no way Hey can recover soon from the institutional knowledge that has been lost from that many people leaving at once. Second, onboarding that many qualified people and getting them to be truly productive with the complexity of code that is involved could take 6+ months (one person told me over a year). And third, there are serious unresolved management issues that will likely take a long time to fix. Who knows, maybe DHH is a miracle worker and they'll be at full speed again in a couple of months?

I do like several of the cool ideas that Hey represented, but I'm over it, but also glad I tried it. Hey gave me more appreciation for my "old" worlkflow that just needed to be tweaked a little. It's amazing what you can do with a good set of filters.

Again, best of luck for those that stay, curious what you will think in the months ahead, so please keep posting.
Old 30 Apr 2022, 07:25 AM   #73
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Latest post in this thread was about a year ago.

Summary of the improvements since then:
  • Reply to just the recipient
  • Improved print styles
  • Spam button
  • Away autoresponder
  • Refine search
  • Send later
  • Share email with sharable links
  • Collections
  • Contact groups
  • Download all attachments
Old 30 Apr 2022, 09:21 AM   #74
ioneja

Indeed, a list of nice improvements. Thanks for the heads up on this. Hopefully they've put the struggles of last year behind them and their team is on the same page now.
Old 29 May 2022, 08:33 AM   #75
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Latest post in this thread was about a year ago.

Summary of the improvements since then:
  • Reply to just the recipient
  • Improved print styles
  • Spam button
  • Away autoresponder
  • Refine search
  • Send later
  • Share email with sharable links
  • Collections
  • Contact groups
  • Download all attachments
New:
Bubble Up is HEY’s take on snooze. If you don’t need to look at an email now, schedule a time for it to float back up to your Imbox.