EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 May 2019, 06:44 AM   #1
yakubin

Lightbulb Feature Request: Integrated rss2email-like solution

There is a tool called rss2email which sends RSS/Atom feed updates to a given email address. However, its interface (CLI) isn't the most user-friendly, there is cron job configuration involved and I think it would be a lot nicer to have it integrated at the Fastmail level with a web interface for subscribing/unsubscribing to feeds, automatically placing the "update mails" in appropriate folders etc. Perhaps other users would want that as well.
yakubin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 May 2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

I doubt it. But do you know about Blogtrotrr?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 10:48 AM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

FWIW, for any feature request, bug report, or whatever you should create a support ticket with FastMail support.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 02:11 AM   #4
akorvemaker
Master of the @

I'd love it, but I also just use Blogtrottr. I've been with them since 2012. They've been very good.

I think email is a fantastic way of processing RSS feeds. I've used other RSS-to-email services since 2005. Most of them have (sadly) disappeared after about 3 years. I'd hate to have a separate newsreader to go to. Having my news sitting in a folder on FM just simplifies things, and the interface is exactly the same as the one I use all day for email.
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 05:23 PM   #5
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

RSS feeds have always annoyed me, because somehow I never got into any sort of routine to check those that interest me. So seeing two recommendations here for Blogtrotrr has been really useful. Thanks!
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2019, 01:25 AM   #6
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
So seeing two recommendations here for Blogtrotrr has been really useful. Thanks!
I found those suggestions enlightening also. I am trying the service. I have been using it since last night, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. So, another Thanks!

edit: Turns out I had tried this service about 6 years ago. I have no idea or recollection why I had stopped using it.

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 1 Jun 2019 at 09:41 AM. Reason: edited to add
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2019, 05:26 AM   #7
Gankaku

Hmm I may try this service. My problem with RSS feed readers is that usually the old stuff drops off the bottom, and you're only presented with the most recent items. That's nice and all, but I barely can get to everything and what articles might I have missed? Then I have to go to the website (rarely happens) to read their back articles.

I may set up a folder in my fastmail and filter some feeds there with this tool and see how I like it.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2019, 06:10 AM   #8
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
Hmm I may try this service. My problem with RSS feed readers is that usually the old stuff drops off the bottom, and you're only presented with the most recent items. That's nice and all, but I barely can get to everything and what articles might I have missed? Then I have to go to the website (rarely happens) to read their back articles.
I use the service (ATM..) for forum feeds. Good thing for me there's only a few websites that I don't mind going to..
Old 2 Jun 2019, 06:36 AM   #9
akorvemaker
Master of the @

I'm currently using it for 70 feeds, many of which update infrequently. Most are set to give me a batch of updates 1/day; a few are set to every 4-6 hours.
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2019, 08:06 AM   #10
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
Most are set to give me a batch of updates 1/day; a few are set to every 4-6 hours.
That's pretty close 'config' setup that I have.

-bruce