EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 24 Jun 2024, 07:27 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
GMX.net and web.de

Does anyone know if these still require to have a German, Austrian or Swiss address in order to create and keep an account?

In the wikipedia article on GMX it says gmx.net has no restrictions, whereas gmx.com/.co.uk/.us has. I actually thought it was the other way around...

I will be in Germany and Austria a couple of days on my way to Croatia, so while on wifi in my hotel I will be using German and Austrian IP addresses. However, if it also requires an actual postal address in one of these countries, then I have to pass on these ones. Also, if it requires to sign in from German/Austrian/Swiss IP addresses regularly it also makes no sign to create such an account: after my holiday I'll be back home using a Belgian IP.

Friends of mine from Germany did praise these services.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Jun 2024, 10:38 AM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Does anyone know if these still require to have a German, Austrian or Swiss address in order to create and keep an account?

In the wikipedia article on GMX it says gmx.net has no restrictions, whereas gmx.com/.co.uk/.us has. I actually thought it was the other way around...

I will be in Germany and Austria a couple of days on my way to Croatia, so while on wifi in my hotel I will be using German and Austrian IP addresses. However, if it also requires an actual postal address in one of these countries, then I have to pass on these ones. Also, if it requires to sign in from German/Austrian/Swiss IP addresses regularly it also makes no sign to create such an account: after my holiday I'll be back home using a Belgian IP.

Friends of mine from Germany did praise these services.
Hello

If you are in Germany, you can easily sign up gmx.net/web.de accounts.
But, they require you to provide local mobile number.
besides mobile number for sign up, they also require you to get auth code when you login from out of those locations.
If you can't provide SMS for auth, you account will be locked forever.
It's big risk for you to use them if you are not living in the locations.
Just my real experience.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2024, 12:19 PM   #3
dryoldlime

Quote:

I will be in Germany and Austria a cou ..... .
I tried a test of GMX (.net) account several years ago, and at the time I do not believe mobile number nor alternate email to be needed for account registration; but that was at least five years ago and I'm not in Germany.
dryoldlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2024, 10:37 AM   #4
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Agree with the other way around, I believe wikipedia is incorrect. at least regarding gmx.com. I have an gmx.com account. No restrictions at all. I access this account via the web, my client and new recently their GMX App.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2024, 12:53 PM   #5
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Trust me, gmx.net/de and web.de open only to 3 locations:
DE AT CH
For now all other accounts with fake data
will be locked/deleted by them.
Old 3 Jul 2024, 11:37 PM   #6
squabsy

my main email addy is a gmx.net one have had it for years (at least 20 !!!) I am now (and always have been) in the UK and never had a problem . They don't have my mobile number
squabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2024, 03:24 AM   #7
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by squabsy View Post
my main email addy is a gmx.net one have had it for years (at least 20 !!!) I am now (and always have been) in the UK and never had a problem . They don't have my mobile number
I also have gmx.net for 15 years.
The new created acct with fake data will be broken.
Old 6 Jul 2024, 09:50 AM   #8
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

I will just mention that I had a GMX account - and then after I had it quite a while, it suddenly didn't work.

When I tried to log in, it said there was no such account. But when I tried to re-create the account, it said it was already taken. I wrote, and got no reply. I even called offices here in America, with no luck.

So I don't consider them trustworthy.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2024, 05:53 AM   #9
Bamb0
Master of the @

Ya that doesnt sound good...Im sorry this happend

I find most places if you try to contact them wont be nice and try to get back to you,especially FREE services........
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2024, 03:14 PM   #10
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

I've been using gmx.com for several months. Had a login issue early on. Support was fast to fix it. No issues since.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2024, 01:54 AM   #11
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Ya that doesnt sound good...Im sorry this happend

I find most places if you try to contact them wont be nice and try to get back to you,especially FREE services........
Mail.be has excellent support, even for free users.

Safe-Mail.net also has good support, even though I only managed to reach them per telephone (they are located in Israel so it took me international calls to reach them, luckily we have telephone shops where you can call internationally for a low price)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
Hello

If you are in Germany, you can easily sign up gmx.net/web.de accounts.
But, they require you to provide local mobile number.
besides mobile number for sign up, they also require you to get auth code when you login from out of those locations.
If you can't provide SMS for auth, you account will be locked forever.
It's big risk for you to use them if you are not living in the locations.
Just my real experience.
In that case it's not worth the effort. I still like to try several email services, but when you need to provide fake data in order to keep an account then it's not worth the hassle. Maybe I could try gmx.com (or gmx.fr, gmx.es or gmx.us) if their service is good and works without having to fake a different location than my actual country Belgium.

Thanks for your advice
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2024, 04:20 AM   #12
Bamb0
Master of the @

Yes I have a safe-mail account..... When I try to email support they dont get back to me..... They used to...
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote