EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 4 Feb 2022, 04:53 AM   #1
Sher

How to cancel membership

I have not used this website in almost 15 years. (I'm trying to clean up my online presence.) I have looked around the site trying to determine how to remove my account, but it is not obvious how to do so. Help!
Sher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Feb 2022, 05:34 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

This was discussed somewhere in EMD many years ago and I cannot find the thread.
But I seem to remember having been said that the member cannot leave the forum by his/her action, only by applying to the forum owner (I'm not sure whether also the moderators can remove accounts).

Of course it's possible to be permanently banned from the forum by repeatedly breaking the rules. Do not treat it as my recommendation

The path of least effort is to do nothing of course
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2022, 06:06 AM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
This was discussed somewhere in EMD many years ago and I cannot find the thread.
Possibly this thread:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=48174

You can edit your profile, and remove your location information, but TBH, you've not contributed all that much to the forum, I cannot see why you can't leave it as is, and just stop participating.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2022, 06:26 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2022, 08:54 AM   #5
Bamb0
Master of the @

Just change your password to something you dont remember and then dont re-log back in..........

Im sorry to see you go..... I do hope everything is ok!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2022, 04:30 PM   #6
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Some are missing the point. Leaving an unused forum account active could lead to abuse of your forum name.

I understand were Sher is coming from. I've tried this before in some forums I no longer use or have a use for. Most entertained my request for forum account deletion. Some however, did not. I am not happy about that. Some forums purge inactive users after a certain time frame. One forum simple told me to not sign in any more and my account would be removed after two years. Some of these forums have been taken over by spammers. A couple of forums told me no can do, we never remove users and besides you might want to come back. LOL Another told me if they removed my account, I would not be able to sign in as that user again

In my view as someone who has administered forums before, if some wants removal.

I don't know of any forum software that does not allow for the deletion of users. Of course, it depends on how the forum is setup and permissions of forum administrators.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2022, 12:26 AM   #7
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
Some are missing the point. Leaving an unused forum account active could lead to abuse of your forum name. ....
If an account is deleted and the name is reusable then it can be abused (that is someone can use it to impersonate the original user with that name). If the name is not reusable then it cannot be abused this way. I the account is abandoned (with credentials that make it practically impossible to access, such as a very long and complicated password) then it cannot be abused this way.

In the distant past deleting some accounts resulted in a lot of damage to the forums, since the forums were configured to delete all the threads started by the deleted user, and some of those deleted happened to be very long threads with many participants, and everything everyone contributed in those threads was lost. I think this configuration was changed so that threads and posts are not deleted with the user.

Even if an account is deleted, the username still appears in posts that quoted posts by the deleted user.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2022, 04:46 AM   #8
Sher

Smile Thank you

Thanks to all who responded to my issue of deleting my account. A special shoutout to chrisretusn who understood the broader point.

I did look at the original 2007 thread on the subject and see that Administrator Edwin doesn't like to delete accounts who have posts associated with them. (Although my posts are so old, it shouldn't matter.) I honestly do not understand the point of changing my password to something I can't remember and then never logging in again. So, I'll go for janusz's path of least effort and do nothing.

Having said that, after trying to delete my account on Email Discussions, I changed the password for my Fastmail account which created totally unexpected issues with my Apple devices. I'm trying to resolve them with Fastmail directly. But who knows. Ironically, I may need to get back on Email Discussions. Yikes!
Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2022, 07:24 AM   #9
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher View Post
.... Ironically, I may need to get back on Email Discussions. Yikes!
and then you might get addicted like some of us here...
perhaps changing the password and forgetting it can help overcome forum addiction
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2022, 04:46 PM   #10
Bamb0
Master of the @

It sounds like your gonna stay Sher

Good for you buddy!!!!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote