EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Nov 2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Parev

Considering Fastmail.FM, question about capabilities

I have my own domain that I've been using for years. I've been researching Fastmail and it seems like the service is going to meet my needs but I have identified a potential source of problems.

My own primary email address account is 1 character long. For example "S@myrandomdomain.com"

I also have around 80 aliases that point to that email address, most of which are 1 to 5 characters long.

It seems that there is a 3 character limit on account names with Fastmail? So that means I'd have no way of getting emails at the primary email address that I've used for years? Do I understand this correctly? Is there any workaround or am I just going to have to look elsewhere for a provider?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by Parev : 29 Nov 2011 at 01:48 AM.
Parev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Nov 2011, 04:44 AM   #2
Essential Contributor

The limits you are referring to applied when you using Fastmail's domains. I just tested with one of my domains: x@example.com, and was able to create it without issue.
541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2011, 04:47 AM   #3
Parev

Thanks for the reply!

Does this also work with aliases?
Old 29 Nov 2011, 04:50 AM   #4
Essential Contributor

For your domain, yes. For Fastmail's not so much.
541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2011, 05:16 AM   #5
Parev

Much appreciated - thanks!
Old 29 Nov 2011, 11:55 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the EMD Forums, Parev!

To add some more details about using an Enhanced account at Fastmail with your domain(s):
  • You must first get an Enhanced account with a Fastmail-owned domain. This allows you to log in using those credentials, and your own domain mail is normally targeted to be delivered to that main Fastmail-owned domain. But you can target any of your own domain aliases to an external account, or several accounts if you wish.
  • Fastmail lets you use up to 500 domain aliases you create at up to 50 of your domains.
  • You can also use a wildcard alias at your domain. This means that all messages sent to any username at your domain (not otherwise listed) will be delivered to the target(s) you pick.
  • If you are using a wildcard alias and want to disable one or more specific aliases, just target each of those aliases to themselves. This will cause mail sent to those aliases to bounce, just as if that email address did not exist.
  • If you set up your DNS records properly, you can also use any subdomain of your own domain to receive email. Normally, email sent to a@b.yourdomain.xxx is delivered to you+b.a@fmdomain.xxx, where you@fmdomain.xxx is your login main account name. Such a message would normally be delivered to the "a" subfolder of the "b" main folder, or to the "b" folder if that subfolder doesn't exist, or to the Inbox if that main folder doesn't exist. Rules can overwrite this plus address filing into folders.
So as you can see, this is extremely flexible. I think you will be very happy. I suggest that you host your domain DNS records at Fastmail, since this will allow you to take full easy advantage of SPF, DKIM, and other features. Using Fastmail as your DNS host is free.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote