EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 3 Feb 2014, 07:39 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Soliciting suggestions for email account: free & undemanding

Ever since a friend pushed me against my will into email, I've been using Hotmail as my default. If I needed a dedicated email for something, I opened a new Hotmail account. I had a lot of gripes about them, but I preferred them to Yahoo, Gmail, etc.

Recently, Hotmail has begun requiring a back-up email (or telephone number) to open a new account. So it would be silly for me to stick with them.

Thus, I'm open to suggestions. I'd like something:
-Free
-Not requiring any user information
-Not requiring a back-up email
-Allowing a generous amount of time (preferably indefinite) for inactivity
-Preferably as uncluttered as possible

Any candidates? I've asked a version of this before, but now the inactivity issue is more important.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Feb 2014, 08:47 AM   #2
jeffster

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
Ever since a friend pushed me against my will into email, I've been using Hotmail as my default. If I needed a dedicated email for something, I opened a new Hotmail account. I had a lot of gripes about them, but I preferred them to Yahoo, Gmail, etc.

Recently, Hotmail has begun requiring a back-up email (or telephone number) to open a new account. So it would be silly for me to stick with them.

-Free

Any candidates? I've asked a version of this before, but now the inactivity issue is more important.
Well, although not free, Posteo would pretty much meet your requirements, and is only 1 Euro or $1.35 a month WITH NO CONTRACT, you pay month to month.

After much searching and testing out various providers over the last few months, I am happy with Posteo, which also offers calendaring.

I know its not free, but for a $1.35 a month, its great value IMO

www.posteo.de
jeffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Red_Machine

UKInbox is an option. Unlimited storage, no mention of an inactivity period, and only requires your name to sign up. Interface is basic and simple.

Also, XMail.net might be good for you. 1GB storage, 1 year inactivity period, and only requires your name. Interface is a bit more flashy, but is still pretty basic. Looks like something from the 90s.

Hope these help.
Red_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2014, 10:46 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

-Free
All things (free and paid) on the web, are all about exploiting your personal information. The exceptions are few (and far between) - even if you pay - your local library might be the place to find a useful email account.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2014, 04:28 AM   #5
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Thanks, Red Machine, I'll take a look.

I agree, David, about exploitation of information - but luckily when I was first forced against my will to open an email account, my friend schooled me not be be truthful. The only correct things in my information are my gender and location. And that's why I had a fit when Hotmail began asking for cell phone numbers.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 03:10 AM   #6
zdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Machine View Post
Also, XMail.net might be good for you. 1GB storage, 1 year inactivity period, and only requires your name. Interface is a bit more flashy, but is still pretty basic. Looks like something from the 90s.
This one looks interesting, has anyone tried it?
zdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2014, 03:34 AM   #7
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Yes, and have given up (cannot connect)
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2014, 05:53 AM   #8
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

I created an account there several days ago with no problem and it works well. Be aware that there are several versions available (a "legacy" version and a later version) which have different interfaces. There are also several different URLs to access the login page, each of which offers different levels of security. One possible deal-breaker for some users is the fact that outgoing messages display the IP in headers, which is important for some. I also wonder about the privacy policy, which is only a sentence or two. It proudly proclaims that the service doesn't collect any information during the signup process, which is perfectly true, but which may be too clever by half. What is left unmentioned is whether they collect any information thereafter.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2014, 04:02 AM   #9
mister
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdt View Post
This one looks interesting, has anyone tried it?
I've had one for a while it's strange and now inactive.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2014, 05:26 AM   #10
Just Bill

Quote:
Thanks, Red Machine, I'll take a look.

I agree, David, about exploitation of information - but luckily when I was first forced against my will to open an email account, my friend schooled me not be be truthful. The only correct things in my information are my gender and location. And that's why I had a fit when Hotmail began asking for cell phone numbers.

Just get a Google Voice number and use it. That's what I did. The only number for me is a dormant Google Voice number permanently set on "Do Not Disturb".
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2014, 05:56 AM   #11
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
I've had one for a while [account at xmail.net] it's strange and now inactive.
OK, I suppose someone needed to ask --

(1) strange in what way?

(2) is the account "now inactive" by your choice, or because of some action taken by xmail.net?
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2014, 01:21 AM   #12
mister
Essential Contributor

I thought the interface looked weird.They closed my account for inactivity.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2014, 03:12 AM   #13
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Is UKInbox something new? Never heard of them before. Even back when I lived in the UK, most people used Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail or their ISP's domain for email. I rarely saw free email services related to the UK that were widely used and are unlikely to disappear in the near future.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2014, 12:10 AM   #14
Red_Machine

The FreeStuffJunction site, which hosts the email, has been going since 2000 according to the "about us" page. The testimonials page directly refers to an email service as far back as 2004.
Red_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2014, 05:06 AM   #15
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Thanks, Red. Haven't heard of it.