EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 24 Jul 2008, 09:42 PM   #1
ReuvenNY

Yahoo's new Zimbra Desktop puts all your e-mail in order

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...a_N.htm?csp=34

Excerpt:

"Yahoo is expanding its popular e-mail service to the desktop in a bid to help consumers manage their e-mail accounts when they aren't online...
...is set to release a beta version of Yahoo Zimbra Desktop, an e-mail program that organizes Yahoo Mail, AOL, Google's Gmail and work and business e-mail accounts in one place — and lets you read, compose and organize messages off-line."
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Jul 2008, 01:29 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

EuMX has Zimbra (the collaboration suite) in alpha testing.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2008, 11:57 PM   #3
paul33

yeah
it is great , i tested it,,,,,
i love zimbra.
only problem so far is the bad speed,,maybe because it is java.
ok... but it is in beta so what.

yahoo has to use zimbra to defends its leading position in mail service ,,,,then gmail has no chance....
in my opinion zimbra is better than gmail and thunderbird.
and now you can use your free yahoo account trough imap with zimbra,
isnt it great?
unfortunately it is at moment only with yahoo.com mail adresses possible to use, not with local one like yahoo.de
paul33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2008, 01:24 AM   #4
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul33 View Post
yeah
it is great , i tested it,,,,,
i love zimbra.
only problem so far is the bad speed,,maybe because it is java.
ok... but it is in beta so what.

yahoo has to use zimbra to defends its leading position in mail service ,,,,then gmail has no chance....
in my opinion zimbra is better than gmail and thunderbird.
and now you can use your free yahoo account trough imap with zimbra,
isnt it great?
unfortunately it is at moment only with yahoo.com mail adresses possible to use, not with local one like yahoo.de
Yahoo will not kill gmail as long as yahoo is attempting to install on the desktop. Desktop clients are dead... Outlook '07 has won that war. Period. On the other end, kids and 20 somethings want something on their phone... they don't need or want a desktop client (at least all the ones I know).

And if their online version is as slow as their demo, they don't have a chance against even a caveman with chalk and a cave. My yahoo mail times out every now and again (only service that does), so what else should I expect.

We won't even mention when Microsoft launches more Live products... along with integration of online live with Microsoft Office.

edit: my fault, seems IE 7 PRO was blocking portions of the site... zimbra runs fairly fast....

Last edited by theog : 2 Aug 2008 at 01:46 AM.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Ennis
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by theog View Post
Yahoo will not kill gmail as long as yahoo is attempting to install on the desktop. Desktop clients are dead... Outlook '07 has won that war. Period. On the other end, kids and 20 somethings want something on their phone... they don't need or want a desktop client (at least all the ones I know).
Kids and 20 somethings don't use email. They text.

At least the ones I know...
Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2008, 08:29 AM   #6
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennis View Post
Kids and 20 somethings don't use email. They text.

At least the ones I know...
Yea, that is why I said they use their phone... either text or email... many plug into email (20 somethings)... some even do the email through myspace.... all depends... of the teens it seems txt rules. lol...

Either way, a cell phone is the center of the universe.

Last edited by theog : 2 Aug 2008 at 08:38 AM.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2008, 12:35 PM   #7
kelly

Zimbra Desktop client...

can be downloaded from ... http://downloads.yahoo.com/
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2008, 01:23 PM   #8
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
EuMX has Zimbra (the collaboration suite) in alpha testing.
Is the alpha testing by request Berenburger?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2008, 01:42 PM   #9
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes it is, David. I'm not Berenburger (in case you didn't notice the difference in the spelling of my user name ), but, based on information about it in a thread going back a few months at the EuMX forum, I emailed support AT eumx.net (I think it was) from my eumx.net account and after a couple of email exchanges, I had an account by the next day. That wasn't more than a few weeks ago, so unless something has changed radically since then, I assume they're still available by request. You may prefer to double-check the relevant thread in their forum first though, in case my memory may be "off" on a detail or two.

Edit: This thread: http://support.eumx.net/viewtopic.php?t=336
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2008, 01:47 PM   #10
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer View Post
Yes it is, David.
Thanks xmailer. I might just do that, although I am just started to like OWM, and am contemplating on using it permanently, instead of SquirrelMail.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 01:52 PM   #11
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

As far as I can recall, EuMX is now the only service I still have an account with that has OWM available, and after all the bloated AJAX web interfaces which have been appearing lately, I think I'm starting to appreciate both it and Squirrelmail more than ever. (Although I'm, starting to like my everyone.net account (the 'simple' interface) better lately too, especially now that they've increased the storage quota above Gmail's.)
Old 27 Aug 2008, 02:09 PM   #12
David
Ultimate Contributor

For some reason, OWM reminds me of CWMail (which I used many years ago) although the latter only supported POP.
Old 27 Aug 2008, 03:56 PM   #13
William9
The "e" in e-mail

A problem with Zimbra Desktop reported by several users and acknowledged by the company is inability to send messages with a Yahoo! Small Business account. Very disappointing. Apparently not recognized as a problem until after software was released. I think it is identified as beta, however.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 10:39 AM   #14
marcus0263
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by theog View Post

And if their online version is as slow as their demo, they don't have a chance against even a caveman with chalk and a cave. My yahoo mail times out every now and again (only service that does), so what else should I expect.

We won't even mention when Microsoft launches more Live products... along with integration of online live with Microsoft Office.

edit: my fault, seems IE 7 PRO was blocking portions of the site... zimbra runs fairly fast....
Desktop Clients dead?
marcus0263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 11:05 AM   #15
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus0263 View Post
Desktop Clients dead?
Of course, you might wish to bear in mind that theog also believes that Bill Gates is God.