EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Aug 2014, 03:59 AM   #1
pikov

Strange Spam Behavior

Hello,

I've run into a strange situation regarding the way FASTMAIL.FM handles spam emails.

I generally read my FASTMAIL in Thunderbird via IMAP. Sometimes, I get an obvious spam in my TB junk folder, but when I go to the fastmail.fm site, that email is not to be found in ANY folder!

So my questions are, how did that message get through FASTMAIL's filters, and did FASTMAIL delete it after I IMAPped it (TB does not delete message on the server)?

Thank you.
pikov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Aug 2014, 04:45 AM   #2
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

What is "Tools > Account Settings... Junk Settings > Move new junk messages to:" set to?

What is in "Tools > Account Settings... Server Settings > Advanced... > IMAP server directory"?
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2014, 05:00 AM   #3
pikov

[quote=Adrian Bell;575109]What is "Tools > Account Settings... Junk Settings > Move new junk messages to:" set to?{/QUOTE]

Uses the global preference which is to move them to the account's junk folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Bell View Post
What is in "Tools > Account Settings... Server Settings > Advanced... > IMAP server directory"?
INBOX.

But perhaps I did not explain my situation clearly. TB is behaving appropriately IMO. My question is, how is it that FASTMAIL is passing along certain messages and deleting them from my account?
Old 17 Aug 2014, 06:19 AM   #4
Adrian Bell

You explained your situation clearly. You need to answer the second question.

...and here's a third: Do you see a "Junk" folder on the Fastmail site?
Old 17 Aug 2014, 06:57 AM   #5
pikov

Quote:
You explained your situation clearly. You need to answer the second question.

...and here's a third: Do you see a "Junk" folder on the Fastmail site?
You asked "What is in "Tools > Account Settings... Server Settings > Advanced... > IMAP server directory"?" and I answered "INBOX".

Yes, there is a junk folder and the missing messages were there. I marked them as spam.

Why do you keep asking about TB settings?
Old 17 Aug 2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Adrian Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikov View Post
You asked "What is in "Tools > Account Settings... Server Settings > Advanced... > IMAP server directory"?" and I answered "INBOX".
Sorry, I missed that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikov View Post
Why do you keep asking about TB settings?
To better understand what is going on. You are asking for help aren't you?

Maybe you didn't explain your problem clearly enough. You said that when you go to the fastmail.fm site, that the spam email is not to be found in ANY folder! It is not clear from this statement whether or not your Junk folder on TB is actually on (or visible) on the fastmail site. Why would you be looking for it in any other folder than "Junk" after all?
Old 17 Aug 2014, 09:18 AM   #7
pikov

Quote:
Sorry, I missed that.

To better understand what is going on. You are asking for help aren't you?

Maybe you didn't explain your problem clearly enough. You said that when you go to the fastmail.fm site, that the spam email is not to be found in ANY folder! It is not clear from this statement whether or not your Junk folder on TB is actually on (or visible) on the fastmail site. Why would you be looking for it in any other folder than "Junk" after all?
How can a folder on my computer be on the FASTMAIL server?

My FASTMAIL account has a Spam folder. That's where I looked for spam. But the spam I was looking was to be found in the FASTMAIL junk folder, No idea why it was there.

I misspoke. When I looked at FASTMAIL, I looked only in INBOX and Spam. Did that confuse you? Apologies if it did.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 01:43 PM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Using Spam features on Thunderbird using IMAP

Here are a few details about how Fastmail works with an IMAP email client. I'm discussing how things look in the normal web interface (not Classic):
  • The Fastmail web interface by default shows a Spam folder. If you click the Create or edit folders link at the lower left (below the folder list), you will see that the Spam folder is called "Junk Mail" for IMAP clients. You can choose to display the Spam folder in the web interface always, never, or only when unread messages are in that folder. The Junk Mail folder will always be seen when using an IMAP client properly configured.
  • If you have a paid Fastmail account, you have an automatic spam filter which you can configure on the Advanced>Spam/Virus Protection screen. The spam filter can automatically file incoming spam messages into the Spam folder. If you leave spam messages in the Spam (Junk Mail) folder at least 24 hours they will be learned by the system. If you have trained your user Bayes spam filter, this will directly affect future spam filtering for your account.
  • You can configure your IMAP client to "subscribe" to various IMAP folders at Fastmail. If you create a new Fastmail account connection with the current version of Thunderbird, you only need to enter your name, email address, and Fastmail password to get automatically subscribed to the Fastmail system folders (including Junk Mail).
  • Thunderbird now has some spam filtering built in. So if you have a paid Fastmail account, you have two spam filters (Fastmail and Thunderbird). You should set your Thunderbird "junk" folder to "Junk Mail", which is what Fastmail calls the Spam folder when using an IMAP client.
  • If a message is marked as spam by either the Fastmail or Thunderbird spam filters (or manually moved to the Junk Mail folder using the Junk or Report Spam buttons (or by manually moving the message between folders), that message should show up in both the Spam folder on the Fastmail web interface and the Junk Mail folder on Thunderbird.
  • If messages are not filed correctly (spam not in the proper folder, or non-spam in the Spam/Junk Mail folder), you should correct this using the appropriate button after selecting that message.
  • You can configure Fastmail to auto-purge (delete permanently) old messages in folders (including Junk Mail). Log into the Fastmail web interface and use the Advanced>Folders screen to edit the properties of a folder (such as Junk Mail).
  • You can also configure Thunderbird to delete old messages by changing the retention policy for a folder.
Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 17 Aug 2014 at 01:55 PM.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2014, 03:07 AM   #9
pikov

Thank you for the information.