EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 27 Apr 2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Ron1Cebu

open two different gmail accounts at the same time

Hi to All,

Can I open two different gmail accounts at the same time and on the same computer? I have one gmail account for personal email and another gmail account for business email and I want to easily switch between the two without having to continually logout / login. Can it be done? My present solution is that I'm still using yahoo for personal mail which is open in one window while at the same time I have gmail (business) open in another window. This works but I was planning to give up yahoo . . . any suggestions?

Cheers,
Ron1
Ron1Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Apr 2007, 11:06 AM   #2
war17
The "e" in e-mail

If you have two browsers, you can open a Gmail account on each browser. For example, one one account in Internet Explorer, and one in Firefox.
war17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 11:21 AM   #3
David
Ultimate Contributor

I would think you would be able to open two different Gmail accounts in the same web browser, in different tabs on Firefox, or by opening a new window on IE. This works for many accounts, but I have only one Gmail account so am unable to test.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 11:46 AM   #4
brian101

if you got two different browsers like opera and firefox
brian101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 12:05 PM   #5
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I would think you would be able to open two different Gmail accounts in the same web browser, in different tabs on Firefox, or by opening a new window on IE. This works for many accounts, but I have only one Gmail account so am unable to test.
I would think so, too, or hope so anyway. But although I haven't tried it with Firefox, which I rarely use, it doesn't work that way for me in IE. If I'm logged into a Gmail account in one IE window and I attempt to go to the Gmail login page in another IE window, it "recognizes" me as already logged in, going straight to the Inbox message listing of the same account I'm logged into in the first window without showing me the login screen. Just another example of Google doing their best to override their users' preferences IMO. (But, in fairness, I think Yahoo has also always allowed users to be logged into only one email account at a time, at least with the same browser.)
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 03:38 PM   #6
idealist
Essential Contributor

Yes, people here are correct in that you could use a different browser for each account, like open one in IE and one in Firefox. It's also correct that you can't open gmail in two tabs or two windows of Firefox, because it will recognize the first user. If you log out in the second window to log into your second gmail account, the first window will be automatically logged out.

You don't say what browser you're using. If you're using Firefox, there's an extension designed to enable what you're asking -- it lets you quickly swap between users with a mouse click, without having to log out and log in. It's called Cookie Swap https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3255

There's also an extension called the Gmail Manager which "Allows you to manage multiple Gmail accounts and receive new mail notifications. Displays your account details including unread messages, saved drafts, spam messages, labels with new mail, space used, and new mail snippets." I don't know if it would be as useful as cookie swap, but you could check it out too and decide: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1320

The easiest thing to do is just use two separate browsers. But if you're using Firefox and prefer to stay with it, you'd be better off installing one of the above extensions. If you're using IE....well, ummmm...good luck!
idealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2007, 07:26 AM   #7
Ron1Cebu

Hi to you All and especially to <idealist>!

THat was BRilliant!

The Firefox CookieSwap works and is a really neat solution
Thanks to all who replied and especially to <idealist>

Cheers,
Ron1Cebu
Ron1Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2007, 04:37 AM   #8
idealist
Essential Contributor

Glad I could help. I just happened across that extension a while ago and it came to mind when you asked the question.

Note to all Firefox users: CookieSwap is not just for gmail, but it's useful for anyone with 2 accounts from the same provider which uses cookies to stay logged in. So it's useful for anyone regularly using 2 yahoo accounts etc.
idealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2007, 10:26 PM   #9
ultra

Thanks for that, Idealist - I had not noticed any mention of the cookie swap option before, and it seems a good idea when only 2 accounts are in use.

Certainly I have been using the other extension, to monitor several accounts (though must say for just 2 GMail accounts, using two different browsers would be easier, as a simple flip from one window to another leaves you with all content unaltered on those windows)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Duke

Representative of:
Scipomail.com
If you want you can use http://www.litemail.eu and ,in another window http://www.litemail.at ( or .cn or ,same , .eu ).

P.S. If any admin consider this as advertising please let me know or just delete this post.
Thanks!
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 11:33 PM   #11
anotherJeremy
Essential Contributor

Another way

I'm late to this thread, but the way I do this is with a firefox extension called IE Tab. It allows you to open an internet explorer session in a firefox tab. You can then have different gmail accounts open in each of two tabs at the same time.
anotherJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote