EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13 May 2018, 04:44 PM   #1
edu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 145
Question about domain

If I want to bring my Gandi domain to Fastmail I know the steps, but I need some help from you guys before thinking to do it or not:

1- What happens with my current Fastmail username when I login?, will it change?

2.- My current aliases in Gandi email, will they work in Fastmail automatically or I need to create them again?, and what about my messages in those Gandi email accounts?. Will I be limited in aliases with my domain in Fastmail?. Actually my aliases are unlimited with Gandi.

3.- When I create a new alias, will it be possible to create a FM alias and a "my domain" alias easily?

Thanks!
edu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 May 2018, 05:37 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: mostly in Thailand
Posts: 2,613
Before I answer your questions, I want to ensure there is a clear understanding of what we are talking about. What you will set up in FastMail is Aliases for incoming emails, and Identities for outgoing messages.

The Aliases for incoming emails for your own domain determines the account that should receive those messages (that is, you can choose to have different accounts associated with each email address, as you probably expect). It is possible (probably recommended) to have a wildcard Alias for your domain to receive messages to addresses not handled by specific address Aliases. If you handle all messages for the domain from a single account, you will just need a single wildcard alias to ensure receipt of incoming messages.
  1. Your FastMail login does not change.
  2. All sending addresses for your domain (which I assume is what you mainly mean by Gmail aliases) need to be set up as Identities in FastMail. There is a limit on the number of Identities you can have in FastMail, but it is a very large number, very unlikely to be an issue in practice.
  3. Creating new Aliases (for your own domain and FastMail domains) is straightforward. You need to ensure appropriate Identities (for sending) are also created, though FastMail will often helpfully create one automatically.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 06:57 PM   #3
edu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 145
Thank you for the answer BritTim,
and do you know what happens with all the messages I already have in my emails now (Gandi)?. Are they transfered automatically or I need to do it manually?
I prefer to avoid a wilcard alias to receive less spam.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 01:34 AM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: mostly in Thailand
Posts: 2,613
Your existing emails will need to be transferred if you want them available in FastMail. You can either do this manually using an IMAP client (set up with both Gmail and FastMail) or use FastMail's IMAP migration tool. Whichever way you choose to do it, you may well end up needing to do some deduplication (which FastMail partially automates) because of the somewhat eccentric nature of Gmail's IMAP support. It is a pain, but a one time process.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 02:51 AM   #5
edu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Your existing emails will need to be transferred if you want them available in FastMail. You can either do this manually using an IMAP client (set up with both Gmail and FastMail) or use FastMail's IMAP migration tool. Whichever way you choose to do it, you may well end up needing to do some deduplication (which FastMail partially automates) because of the somewhat eccentric nature of Gmail's IMAP support. It is a pain, but a one time process.
It's Gandi, not Gmail
But I understand what you say and so I need to use IMAP with Thunderbird for example to do it. I thought it could be automatic or so.
Thanks a lot.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 03:34 AM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
If I want to bring my Gandi domain to Fastmail I know the steps, but I need some help from you guys before thinking to do it or not:
I am assuming that you mean your domain name is with the registrar Gandi, and you have been using the e-mail account(s) that come with domains registered with them.

Now you are wanting to transfer the sending/receiving of e-mails (not the domain from the registrar Gandi) to FastMail.

Are you then amending the NS or just MX records in Gandi to point to FastMail?

If so, and because you mention aliases that have previously been created in Gandi, I would suggest that you record your current settings in Gandi.

I have done this a few times, and what I have done is take screen caps of all the settings (aliases, etc) in Gandi, then I have them to refer to when setting them up again in FastMail.

As for the e-mails currently with Gandi, if you are keeping your domain registered with them you can keep the e-mail accounts and the e-mails stored there, unless you really do want/need to transfer them over to your FastMail account.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 04:02 AM   #7
edu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I am assuming that you mean your domain name is with the registrar Gandi, and you have been using the e-mail account(s) that come with domains registered with them.

Now you are wanting to transfer the sending/receiving of e-mails (not the domain from the registrar Gandi) to FastMail.

Are you then amending the NS or just MX records in Gandi to point to FastMail?

If so, and because you mention aliases that have previously been created in Gandi, I would suggest that you record your current settings in Gandi.

I have done this a few times, and what I have done is take screen caps of all the settings (aliases, etc) in Gandi, then I have them to refer to when setting them up again in FastMail.

As for the e-mails currently with Gandi, if you are keeping your domain registered with them you can keep the e-mail accounts and the e-mails stored there, unless you really do want/need to transfer them over to your FastMail account.
Thanks for your answer Fred. I am thinking to move my domain to Fastmail and I also have 5 email accounts with Gandi (free with that domain) that I'm using.

About your last words: after upgrading my account to use my domain with Fastmail, if the records now are pointing to Fastmail, is it possible to login as always with Gandi email too?. I suppose that it's not possible because now all points to Fastmail and so I can't check those messages stored there and the emails. Maybe I am wrong.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 04:04 AM   #8
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: mostly in Thailand
Posts: 2,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
It's Gandi, not Gmail .
Oops, sorry. Guess it might be time for me to get glasses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
IBut I understand what you say and so I need to use IMAP with Thunderbird for example to do it. I thought it could be automatic or so.
Thanks a lot.
FastMail's IMAP migration tool would probably work. I personally prefer to use an external email client because it gives me the illusion of greater control.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 04:05 AM   #9
edu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
FastMail's IMAP migration tool would probably work. I personally prefer to use an external email client because it gives me the illusion of greater control.
Ah ok, that's great.
Thanks
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 04:13 AM   #10
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
About your last words: after upgrading my account to use my domain with Fastmail, if the records now are pointing to Fastmail, is it possible to login as always with Gandi email too?. I suppose that it's not possible because now all points to Fastmail and so I can't check those messages stored there and the emails. Maybe I am wrong.
Your Gandi e-mail accounts are totally separate to your FastMail account, so you can still log in to them using your existing login information, but cannot receive e-mails to those Gandi accounts.

You could still send from them, but I would suggest that your SPF record(s) would include the Gandi servers in addition to the FastMail servers.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 04:16 AM   #11
edu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Your Gandi e-mail accounts are totally separate to your FastMail account, so you can still log in to them using your existing login information, but cannot send e-mails to those Gandi accounts.

You could still send from them, but I would suggest that your SPF record(s) would include the Gandi servers in addition to the FastMail servers.
Thanks, good to know

Fred, after reading again slowly your previous answer, are you saying that I could use my emails in Gandi through Fastmail without needing to register the domain, only pointing records?.
I'm not using a domain in Fastmail now, so how can I create in FM the identity or email account with the domain I currently have in Gandi?
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 04:30 AM   #12
TenFour
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 300
Quote:
are you saying that I could use my emails in Gandi through Fastmail without needing to register the domain, only pointing records?.
I'm not using a domain in Fastmail now, so how can I create in FM the identity or email account with the domain I currently have in Gandi?
I'm sure Fred will respond too, but he is saying that! You can leave your domain hosted at Gandi, then change the MX records and possibly setup SPF and DKIM too, and have your email handled by Fastmail, both sending and receiving. In fact, I would recommend in most cases keeping your domain hosted at a separate company from where your email is hosted just in case, God forbid, the email service company goes down or out of business. You could then quickly change the settings at Gandi and be up and running at another email service provider quite quickly. Or, in the more likely scenario, you just find you don't like the email service for one reason or another you can more easily make the switch to another provider in a matter of minutes. It often takes a day or two at least to switch domain hosts.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 04:38 AM   #13
edu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I'm sure Fred will respond too, but he is saying that! You can leave your domain hosted at Gandi, then change the MX records and possibly setup SPF and DKIM too, and have your email handled by Fastmail, both sending and receiving. In fact, I would recommend in most cases keeping your domain hosted at a separate company from where your email is hosted just in case, God forbid, the email service company goes down or out of business. You could then quickly change the settings at Gandi and be up and running at another email service provider quite quickly. Or, in the more likely scenario, you just find you don't like the email service for one reason or another you can more easily make the switch to another provider in a matter of minutes. It often takes a day or two at least to switch domain hosts.
That's great. Thanks TenFour. I don't know how to change all those records in Gandi but I hope to learn how to do it
I suppose that it's possible with the email accounts (creating new identities in Fastmail), but not with the aliases in those accounts.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 04:47 AM   #14
edu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 145
And I don't know how to create those Gandi email accounts in Fastmail to receive my emails in Fastmail. The identities seem to be only to send emails.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 04:51 AM   #15
TenFour
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 300
Here's Fastmail's support page with step-by-step instructions on how to set up your domain at Gandi for email via Fastmail.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 04:21 AM.

 

Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2013. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy