EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Apr 2018, 10:48 PM   #1
jaytolkte

2 personalities or two accounts?

After a few days' trial I have been impressed enough with FM to subscribe to the Enhanced package, allowing me to escape from gmail. I use FM to handle emails to my business domain and my sole business email address, let's call it "me@business.com". So far this all works well.

I also have a personal email (let's call it "me@personal.com") that I would like to migrate to FM, thus removing my current dependency on Microsoft Outlook and other desktop email.

However, I want the inbox, sent mail etc. for my personal email to be kept completely separate from my business email.

At the same time, I would like to be able to have business and personal email up and running at the same time, though ideally in different browser tabs. I don't want to have to log out of one identity and log in as another identity to read personal/business email.

My question is this: can I do this reliably using personalities (which I have taken a quick look at) or should I just get another FM account?

Thanks
Jay
jaytolkte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Apr 2018, 01:10 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I suggest a single account with two personalities (though FastMail tends to talk about Identities these days, I find Personalities a better term). FastMail has better support for this than most other mail services, and multiple accounts are less convenient. In setting this up, you will want to look at the following:
  • Using Identities to establish alternative sending addresses, the folder in which emails sent from each address should be stored, and also POP retrieval of mail from secondary email accounts (if you find that more appropriate than forwarding) together with the folder to retrieve the emails into.
  • Rules that can specify the folder incoming emails should be directed to. You will certainly choose to use this to separate business from personal email, but it is also useful to separate known lower priority emails (such as newsletters) from messages that may need immediate attention.
  • The advanced settings for folders specify the Identity that should be used by default when composing emails while browsing the folder. What I have generally done is set up multiple folder hierarchies, specifying the appropriate Identity to be associated with the top folder of each hierarchy and its children.
In my experience, having set this all up correctly, accidentally using the wrong Identity (Personality) during regular email activities is a very rare occurrence.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 06:31 AM   #3
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytolkte View Post
After a few days' trial I have been impressed enough with FM to subscribe to the Enhanced package, allowing me to escape from gmail.
Welcome to FM and to the forum, Jay, but.... I find what you said fascinating. "Enhanced"? But a plan by that name hasn't been offered for years now. Did you mean Professional and were just being loose about terminology?
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote