EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 30 Mar 2014, 05:23 AM   #1
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

What's up with demanding cell phone numbers?

Yandex is very aggressive at asking for an SMS-capable phone number just about every time you do something in its web interface. At least you can set up an account without one, though. jubii.dk will create your account without one, but you can't use it until you give up your cell phone number (and it only accepts Danish cell phone numbers, so I had to abandon my account). And of course Google wants your number, but it's not nearly as aggressive as the previous two. This is a really annoying trend.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Mar 2014, 05:35 AM   #2
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Funny, I posted about that when Hotmail started demanding additional information, like telephone numbers, on the pretext of helping you in case you lost your password.

No way would I ever provide that.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2014, 05:49 AM   #3
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
Same for me. So far as I know they don't (yet) spam the number you provide. I don't know why the European providers are more aggressive at wanting a number. Also not clear if locking out foreigners is an intended side effect of the cell phone requirement.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 06:35 AM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Ever since 2FA has been an available option on both Hotmail/outlook.com and Gmail, both have my cell 'phone number.

I have no problem with that.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2014, 06:47 AM   #5
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Ever since 2FA has been an available option on both Hotmail/outlook.com and Gmail, both have my cell 'phone number.
Since my password can't be cracked in a useful timeframe without torturing me, in which case they'd have physical possession of my phone too, I don't see the point of 2FA. I don't want to give out my phone number because I'm worried about text spam, and because I'm generally opposed to giving out unnecessary information about myself.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 06:58 AM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I don't want to give out my phone number because I'm worried about text spam
I've never had text spam from ANYONE - maybe it's because of the country I live in (maybe it's different in other countries, I don't know), or because I don't give out my cell number to anyone but close contacts.

If I have to give out a 'phone number for whatever reason on the internet, I give a Flextel number that I can monitor, and Flextel numbers do not accept (at time of writing, anyway) SMS text messages.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2014, 07:40 AM   #7
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
If I have to give out a 'phone number for whatever reason on the internet, I give a Flextel number that I can monitor, and Flextel numbers do not accept (at time of writing, anyway) SMS text messages.
Numbers that accept SMS are specifically required by the services I mentioned. They send you a code to verify.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian
Funny, I posted about that when Hotmail started demanding additional information, like telephone numbers, on the pretext of helping you in case you lost your password.

Just enter all 0s or a bogus #...
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2014, 04:21 PM   #9
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Just enter all 0s or a bogus #...
Doesn't work for accounts that demand activation by SMS code.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 04:34 PM   #10
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Since my password can't be cracked in a useful timeframe without torturing me, in which case they'd have physical possession of my phone too, I don't see the point of 2FA.
Simple: your machine is infected by keystroke-logging malware or exploited through 0-day vulnerability in your operating system, webbrowser or some other software. Now they can log your password (even if you use a password manager), and log on to the associated account.

Pulling that of with 2FA is much harder, because then your computer and phone should be compromised at the same time.
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2014, 03:49 AM   #11
mister
Essential Contributor

It is now impossible to sign up for Gmail or Yahoo without a phone.
http://receivefreesms.com/
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/top-10-s...without-phone/
These sites may be helpful.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2014, 10:16 AM   #12
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
It is now impossible to sign up for Gmail or Yahoo without a phone.
http://receivefreesms.com/
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/top-10-s...without-phone/
These sites may be helpful.
Interesting, though many countries aren't represented. For example, I don't think you can get an SMS-capable number for Hungary or Denmark or Finland. For some reason it's easy to find a free SMS account for sending SMS but much more difficult to find one to receive SMS.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 10:51 PM   #13
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Several (free) email services have my cell number.(among Gmail,Yandex,Mail.ru and QIP.ru)..never ever I have had a spam text. They use it merely as a second security feauture.

I have no problem with that.

Facebook however is a different story.....;-)

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote