EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Oct 2006, 11:10 PM   #1
weaver4
Essential Contributor

Backed Up?

Is all my mail backed up? I would hate to lose it.

Your blog said something about half the users are replicated, I just wanted to make sure this did not effect back-up status.
weaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Oct 2006, 11:13 AM   #2
bblount

No. My interpretation of this is that the instant recover option is active for 50% of users. Everyone is still backed up with fastmail's regular nightly / weekly / etc backups.
bblount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2006, 11:17 PM   #3
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by bblount
No. My interpretation of this is that the instant recover option is active for 50% of users. Everyone is still backed up with fastmail's regular nightly / weekly / etc backups.
Hmmm... I certainly would want to be part of the 50% that has the instant recover option. Is this based on service level (i.e. Full/Enhanced) or just by a luck of the draw?
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2006, 03:56 AM   #4
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by Chipper
Is this based on service level (i.e. Full/Enhanced) or just by a luck of the draw?
It's my understanding that they are putting in a mix of users. Full/Enhanced users are much heavier users than Guest/Member. I think putting just the F/E on a server would overwork that server but by mixing them they can keep them balanced much better.

I may have that all wrong because it's just the way I read some of the posts from FM?

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2006, 04:26 AM   #5
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
It's my understanding that they are putting in a mix of users. Full/Enhanced users are much heavier users than Guest/Member. I think putting just the F/E on a server would overwork that server but by mixing them they can keep them balanced much better.
Sherry: What you say would be true only if they put too many full/enhanced users on the same server
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2006, 04:52 AM   #6
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by David
Sherry: What you say would be true only if they put too many full/enhanced users on the same server
Hmm, thought that's what I was saying? Or maybe you mean they could start by putting some F/E on a server then move to another one and put some on it etc. If that's what you mean I'm guessing (or read) that they are filling a server (or partly filling for what they want on it) before preparing the next one for use???

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2006, 01:10 PM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
Hmm, thought that's what I was saying? Or maybe you mean they could start by putting some F/E on a server then move to another one and put some on it etc.
Yes: I think Fastmail could (and should) do the full/enhanced users first; after all we did pay for an upgraded service.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:28 AM   #8
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by David
... after all we did pay for an upgraded service.
I don't think "full replication" is one of the features advertised by FastMail so it is not one of the services a "Full/Enhanced" subscriber pays for.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2006, 09:50 AM   #9
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
I don't think "full replication" is one of the features advertised by FastMail so it is not one of the services a "Full/Enhanced" subscriber pays for.
hadaso: When Fastmail's IMAP servers fail (which is becoming a regular occurrence these days) it is only fair that those users who pay should receive priority service (to get back online) The fact that they don't (as you point out) is a concern that will drive paying customers away (imo)