EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 29 Feb 2024, 01:59 AM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Any comments on ForwardEmail.net?

Forward Email has come a long way since I last checked them out. Now includes the ability to send, and also encrypted storage with IMAP and POP access. The free plan is only for forwarding, but with the Enhanced plan for $3 per month you can store and send emails, and use unlimited domains and aliases. Open source. Is anyone using it that can comment? https://forwardemail.net/en
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Mar 2024, 09:20 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Bump. These folks claim they provide email for 430,000+ custom domain names. Doesn't that make them fairly large in the email provider space? Surprised nobody has any comments. https://forwardemail.net/en
Old 3 Mar 2024, 08:21 AM   #3
truemagic

Well, for me I have only heard about it after Skiff shutdown and someone (only one) mentioned about it as an alternative. Looking at the site it looks quite generous as they even offer a free tier and at $3/month for the next plan is also kind of affordable. Other than that I don't see what's so special about it and I don't even bother signing up a free account at this time
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2024, 09:00 AM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
what's their difference with improvmx and simplelogin?
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2024, 09:59 AM   #5
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
what's their difference with improvmx and simplelogin?
Ar first glance, their free plan looks attractive and extremely generous in which you can host unlimited domains with catch-all (i.e. unlimited alias) and can even reply with your Gmail.

However upon looking it up on Reddit I found this warning:

On the free plan, your target email address is stored as a DNS TXT record, so anyone can look it up, including spam bots. This isn't the case with their paid plan. You can see a note about this just below the pricing if you scroll down. https://i.ibb.co/BGqbKX3/image.png

(Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/com...rwardemailnet/)

So I would forget about trying their free plan and just go for either Anonaddy or SimpleLogin which is more privacy focused.
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2024, 09:02 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
So I would forget about trying their free plan and just go for either Anonaddy or SimpleLogin which is more privacy focused.
I rather like DuckDuckGo's free email aliases, but comparing the paid forwarding plans it looks like ForwardEmail is competitive:
  • ForwardEmail: $3 a month for unlimited domains and aliases
  • SimpleLogin: $4 a month or $30 a year for unlimited domains and aliases
  • Addy.io (formerly AnnonAddy): $1-$3 per month (billed annually)
  • POBox.com: $20 per year but currently unavailable for new signups, more limited
I used to use POBox.com forwarding and it worked quite well for me. I like the idea of using my main Gmail account for managing my domain email, and forwarding of the domain email is much faster than Google's stupid POP3.

Last edited by TenFour : 3 Mar 2024 at 09:22 PM.
Old 9 Mar 2024, 11:00 PM   #7
rscaramelo

I'm curious about this service. What would be the advantage to going with them? I have a domain with Gandi and use Google Workspace. I have dabbled here and there with other services like Fastmail and Proton but always end up back with GWS. Would this be for me to use my old GMail and have access to using my domain there? Or with some other service? Sorry I'm a little confused but interested. Thanks
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2024, 11:40 PM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Would this be for me to use my old GMail and have access to using my domain there? Or with some other service?
Yes! ForwardEmail (and some other services like SimpleLogin) allows you to send and receive email addresses from your domain but within your personal Gmail. It can be an inexpensive way to manage multiple different email addresses at multiple different domains, without having to deal with multiple mailboxes, POP3 or IMAP, etc. You can even set up your ordinary personal Gmail to send from one of those domain email addresses by default. One of the big advantages, IMHO, is that forwarding these domain emails to Gmail is much faster (nearly instant) compared to Gmail's POP3 fetching.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 12:00 AM   #9
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Yes! ForwardEmail (and some other services like SimpleLogin) allows you to send and receive email addresses from your domain but within your personal Gmail. It can be an inexpensive way to manage multiple different email addresses at multiple different domains, without having to deal with multiple mailboxes, POP3 or IMAP, etc. You can even set up your ordinary personal Gmail to send from one of those domain email addresses by default. One of the big advantages, IMHO, is that forwarding these domain emails to Gmail is much faster (nearly instant) than Gmail's POP3 fetching.
Interesting. Any advantage to this over google workspace?
Old 10 Mar 2024, 12:06 AM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Interesting. Any advantage to this over google workspace?
The forwarding services can be cheaper than the cheapest Google Workspace plan, and in my experience they are also much simpler to set up and manage. OTOH, if you are using Workspace for your business, it probably makes sense to just manage the domain emails from within Workspace. My own business use is just some freelance work I do on an irregular basis, so the ordinary free Gmail tools are all I need, but it's nice to be able to look a little more professional and send and receive emails via my domain addresses.
Old 10 Mar 2024, 12:11 AM   #11
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
The forwarding services can be cheaper than the cheapest Google Workspace plan, and in my experience they are also much simpler to set up and manage. OTOH, if you are using Workspace for your business, it probably makes sense to just manage the domain emails from within Workspace. My own business use is just some freelance work I do on an irregular basis, so the ordinary free Gmail tools are all I need, but it's nice to be able to look a little more professional and send and receive emails via my domain addresses.
I think we’re in the same boat. I use it for my business and am the only person who emails. GWS feels like overkill and complicated at times. I may try this….