EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 14 Jun 2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Ruzor

Fastmail or EuMX?

Currently I am 1.5 year at Fastmail, but because of the amount of SPAM I am getting and the recent and regular downtimes at Fastmail I decided to change my emailadres.

I'm keep my emailadres private, but the SPAM I'm getting is because I choose firstname@domain.com. I never received SPAM before and my first name is not so regular. But they caught me

After done a lot of research, I figured out I have two options:

- Stay at Fastmail, but change emailadres to firstnamelastname@domain.com

- Get a new account at EuMX.net, firstnamelastname@domain.com

It is for personal mail, so I don't want to pay too much, but it is important for me. The plans of both are nicely priced (one-time or once in 5 years). The provider should be fast, reliable and exist for a long time. Fastmail proved to exist for some time, but EuMX not yet, although the fact that they will have plans for 5 years seems that they want to be.

I'm not sure what to do, what would you do?
Ruzor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Jun 2006, 07:55 AM   #2
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

It depends on what your FM account level is. If Member, then eumx.net (or a higher level of FM account) would be better, of course.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Ruzor

My FM account level is indeed member, but why then eumx.net would be better?

Maybe I was not clear about the SPAM, I'm not very afraid to catch SPAM when I use firstnamelastname@domain.com. Both names are not very common in the world.

It is just the comparison between the two providers, based on reliability, future existence and speed (in this order).
Old 14 Jun 2006, 08:12 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Fastmail or EuMX?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruzor
I'm not sure what to do, what would you do?
I wouldn't change companies because of spam issues - Fastmail are as good (and better than most companies) regarding the tools they provide you with to fight spam.

If you wish to change companies because of reliability issues that is a different story I guess....
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2006, 08:20 AM   #5
Ruzor

Well on member level you don't have much options to fight SPAM, although the custom sieve script works quite well if you do some research how to work with it.

It is just because I keep receiving SPAM I decided to change my emailadres anyway (see my post above). Then I thought I might as well look for other options than fastmail if I'm going to change it anyway.

Ok, let's put it this way: If I would make my choice based on priceplan, stability (according to the replies in the forum) and additional options I would choose EuMX for sure. Just I don't want to change my email next year because the service has stopped.

Last edited by Ruzor : 14 Jun 2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 08:28 AM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Well on member level you don't have much options to fight SPAM, although the custom sieve script works quite well if you do some research how to work with it.

It is just because I keep receiving SPAM I decided to change my emailadres anyway (see my post above). Then I thought I might as well look for other options than fastmail if I'm going to change it anyway.
If you like Fastmail, you can upgrade to "Full" and get custom spam filtering tools. You would also get the ability to create extra aliases.

If you don't want to upgrade, I would at least check out EuMX. I have never had an account with this company myself, but I know a lot of people here at EMD do use it and that it has a pretty good reputation.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 08:33 AM   #7
nbarr
Cornerstone of the Community

If you are seriously considering leaving Fastmail you should consider http://www.tuffmail.com as well.
They are the most reliable in my experience and are unmatched when it comes to fighting Spam in my opinion.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2006, 08:42 AM   #8
Ruzor

I have checked tuffmail indeed, but the priceplans are too expensive for me. I don't mind paying, but it is only for personal use and I don't need a lot of storage or bandwidth.

The same counts for webmail.us, pobox.com, everyone.net, etc.

Priceplans at FM and EuMX are right for me:
Like $14.95 one-time or $20.00/5year.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 08:53 AM   #9
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Priceplans at FM and EuMX are right for me:
Like $14.95 one-time or $20.00/5year.
That being the case (if it were me) I would definitely check out EuMX, mostly because of the lack of spam fighting tools that Fastmail provide you with (at member level)
Old 14 Jun 2006, 09:36 AM   #10
nbarr

Eumx does has a very good reputation on this forum.

I'm not sure when you are considering making this change, but at the moment eumx.net is closed to new registrations while they do some reconstruction. There isn't anything on their forum to indicate how long this will be.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2006, 10:23 AM   #11
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Just I don't want to change my email next year because the service has stopped.
In light of the info nbarr provided concerning eumx registrations at the moment, you could also consider registering your own domain and having your mail forwarded to your FM account, and use a strict whitelist for mail sent to your FM address. This can be done pretty cheaply, and there are plenty of knowledgeable people in the FM forum who can help you in setting up effective Sieve rules. I'm not a Sieve expert myself.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 10:51 AM   #12
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Why haven't you chosen to use Gmail?

I literally get 0 spam with Gmail, and while I wish they had IMAP, checking the POP connection once/minute is cool.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2006, 11:19 AM   #13
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by xbot

I literally get 0 spam with Gmail...
One of my rarely-used Gmail accounts gets tons of spam; the other one which is used more heavily gets very little. At least it gets properly labeled 99% of the time. Still, I'd like to have a little more control over the filter.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 06:54 PM   #14
Ruzor

I did some research about having my own domain. It turns out it will be more expensive and I don't get as much service as when I would choose for FM or EuMX. Although forwarding would, of course, provide the same service.

Still I'm looking into the matter, as that would be the only way I would be sure to keep an emailaddress a long time.

About the sieve scripting, I have developed some knowledge about it (I had to ) so that shouldn't be an issue. There is also a lot of information to be found about it.

The EuMX account I already have, I'm only doubting to transfer all my mail there and upgrade my account.

About a gmail-account, the same counts for me as for rmns2bseen. I have a seldom used account and get a lot of spam. I don't know why, a dictionary attack is impossible and I don't spread it around. Furthermore when signing up, you have to agree that they allowed to scan your emails. Last but not least It is still only Beta, who knows what they will do in the future, like making customers pay, etc.

But like I said, the SPAM is (or will not be) not the issue anymore. I'm careful in giving my emailaddress to people and a dictionary attack will be very unlikely. But still some good protection would be preferable of course.

Last edited by Ruzor : 14 Jun 2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 14 Jun 2006, 10:58 PM   #15
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarr
at the moment eumx.net is closed to new registrations.... There isn't anything on their forum to indicate how long this will be.
From my correspondence with the eumx's billing department on a related matter, I would risk a guess that the 'back to business' date is the end of June.
But please DO NOT take it as an official word from eumx, I don't speak for them.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote