EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Jul 2017, 06:37 AM   #1
kwiniec

FWIW: Firefox addon "Notification Sound" works

Just sharing a discovery. With the Classic UI, Firefox addon Alert Box could detect new mail (and play a sound) by periodically loading the Inbox page and checking for differences, even without javascript running. The new UI declines to deliver anything useful without javascript, beaking that element of my workflow. However, *after* the new UI is loaded, javascript can be turned off and everything still seems to work fine. And the new UI has Notifications, although no support for audio. So I was very happy to find the Firefox addon "Notification Sound" works. Not fully documented though -- it seems to require custom sound files (if used) be in ogg-vorbis format.
kwiniec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Jul 2017, 07:59 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

With JavaScript off, I would expect keyboard shortcuts to stop working, as these are handled via JavaScript events. Other kinds of unpredictable behavior are also possible, even probable.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 08:02 AM   #3
kwiniec

Thanks. Update: all keyboard shorctus work, it was an "Enable Keyboard Shortcuts" General preference that I had missed, as you pointed out elsewhere.

I am monitoring the no-javascript experiment closely though, very pleasantly surprised that it works at all, much less with no apparent side-effects so far.

Last edited by kwiniec : 1 Jul 2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: missed preference resolved issue
kwiniec is offline   Reply With Quote