EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 6 Feb 2022, 10:50 PM   #16
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Forwarding from registrar to Gmail account

I have a domain (domainname.tld) that I'm using for e-mails only (newsletters, forum updates, etc), and have decided to experiment with delivery to a Gmail account.

I've created a new Gmail account (domainnametld@gmail.com), in that account I have created an alias (domainname.tld@gmail.com) - note the dot added. For that alias, I have 'reply to' set to an email address at my domain (me@domainname.tld).

I've created numerous email forwards at the registrar, that all forward to the Gmail account (domainnametld@gmail.com) - no wildcards.

When sending e-mails, I intend to only use the one alias created - TBH there will be very little sending done on this domain. When they are sent the e-mails will say from 'domainname.tld@gmail.com' which is acceptable to myself, and the e-mails should get delivered without problem.

Am I missing anything here, is there any problem anyone could foresee with this particular set up?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2022, 11:13 PM   #17
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I've created a new Gmail account (domainnametld@gmail.com), in that account I have created an alias (domainname.tld@gmail.com) - note the dot added. For that alias, I have 'reply to' set to an email address at my domain (me@domainname.tld).
I have no experience of using gmail (except for very rare tests), but I'm sure I've read that they ignore dots in the lefthand part of their users' addresses.

If that's so, then there's no distinction between your new account and the alias with the dot.

Unless I'm missing something?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2022, 11:20 PM   #18
TenFour
Master of the @

I believe that should all work as you describe it. I have done something similar, but instead I was able to create a Gmail address like this: fromdomain@gmail.com Personally, I have found that dots in email addresses needlessly confuse some people, though they are ignored by Gmail. For example, I have seen some people inadvertantly add a space after the dot when typing in the address.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2022, 11:56 PM   #19
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
I have no experience of using gmail (except for very rare tests), but I'm sure I've read that they ignore dots in the lefthand part of their users' addresses.

If that's so, then there's no distinction between your new account and the alias with the dot.
There is no distinction - to me it just 'looks' better with a little punctuation, it's easier to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Personally, I have found that dots in email addresses needlessly confuse some people, though they are ignored by Gmail. For example, I have seen some people inadvertantly add a space after the dot when typing in the address.
As previously stated, I won't be sending much from the account - whether or not the recipient includes the dot or not when composing, or just clicks 'reply' I should (hopefully) get any response back OK.

I've requested access to Cloudflare Email Routing, and am looking forward to trying that out, as an alternative to the registrar forwarding.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2022, 12:06 AM   #20
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I've requested access to Cloudflare Email Routing, and am looking forward to trying that out, as an alternative to the registrar forwarding.
I've used registrar forwarding a lot over many years and never encountered any problems. Currently using Porkbun with good performance. Cloudflare is interesting, but I personally find their website incredibly obtuse, which doesn't bode well for using their services IMHO. I think techy types dismiss the impression that crappy websites give to consumers, but obviously Cloudflare is mainly looking to entice enterprise customers and consumers are an afterthought. Still, when I am purchasing products for my businesses a company's website is usually the first place I shop, and if I have a tough time finding pricing and a clear descriptions of services I will shop elsewhere.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote