EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Oct 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

For the Love of God, Just Switch Back to the Classic Interface

I appreciate that some people don't like the new interface because of both perceived and actual loss of features. Personally, I think FM was a little hasty to switch interfaces.

You can use the classic interface by:

1) Logging out
2) Re-enter username and password
3) Click "More" on the login screen
4) Check "Use classic interface"
5) Click "Log in"; the classic interface loads

You should still see the classic interface when closing the window and returning to FM. Just make sure that your bookmark is set to "http://www.fastmail.fm" or "https://classic.fastmail.fm/. If you use "http://www.fastmail.fm/mail" it will bring you to the current interface instead.

I respect peoples passion about their (paid!) email provider. I don't agree with how FM has moved forward.. But I still think they're willing to listen. Ranting on the forums without having constructive criticism drowns out the REAL issues that need to be addressed.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Oct 2012, 04:58 PM   #2
NJSS
Master of the @

sflorack

Well said & thank-you, thanks to your assistance I have got back to the Classic UI.

Now, as I have asked elsewhere, how please do I get back to how it looked yesterday.

My stylesheet preferences have been changed, and the old stylesheet I used appears to have disappeared!

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 05:06 PM   #3
astrodog73

+1 - fastmail please return the concise stylesheet.....
astrodog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 05:11 PM   #4
too_much_study

+1 - please return the classic UI to the old style sheet options...
too_much_study is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:02 PM   #5
labarum
Essential Contributor

I am very open to developments, and the interface was looking very dated, but to have I did find this morning a rather nasty surprise.

I too would like to see on my screen what I saw yesterday and embrace changes at my leisure and not at a forced pace.

I switched to classic just as soon as I could and will explore the new when I am ready. In the meantime (let me say it again) can my classic view be.what I saw yesterday which is a setup honed by ten years use.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:39 PM   #6
PeterT

Unhappy Agreed Please make it easy & possible to revert

"If it ain't broke don't fix it." By all means add further options if required. But these changes without warning are most unwelcome. At least make sure customers know how to revert easily.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:59 PM   #7
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
At least make sure customers know how to revert easily.
Agreed! IMHO, the current interface lacks many of the features that it should have, and distinguish it as a premium service.

Personally, it's a little embarrassing. I've told users here "of course [that feature] doesn't exist yet, it's a beta interface", only to find that it was moved into primetime before it seemed ready.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 07:52 PM   #8
exactus

Classic looks dreadful....

What an dreadful looking "Classic" view -- it looks nothing like the old FM I knew and loved.....
exactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 08:13 PM   #9
lbmh

Red face

+1 please return to the full classic UI !
lbmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 08:35 PM   #10
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

How do I create a pair of bookmarks to log into my two accounts on the new interface? By that I mean bookmarks to take me to the mailbox page, as the old ones did until today, not to the login screen.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 08:42 PM   #11
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Wow - it looks impossible. You have to choose either one or the other.

There is a ?u parameter in your URL. That is enough to take you direct to a saved session, so if you go to https://www.fastmail.fm/?u=xxxx then it will log you straight in.

But you can't save a pair of them, one for each interface, as far as I can see. This may be related to the bug that if you go to classic.fastmail.fm and have an already logged in session, it will prefer the interface in the cookie over the interface in the URL - so hopefully this will be fixed together with that.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 08:51 PM   #12
mac'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@fm View Post
How do I create a pair of bookmarks to log into my two accounts on the new interface? By that I mean bookmarks to take me to the mailbox page, as the old ones did until today, not to the login screen.
i posted a new thread almost 4 hours ago regarding this titled "how to one click login with new interface?" and got *crickets chirping* for a reply from fastmail
mac'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 08:56 PM   #13
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac'd View Post
i posted a new thread almost 4 hours ago regarding this titled "how to one click login with new interface?" and got *crickets chirping* for a reply from fastmail
While I am absolutely furious at the unannounced and premature changes, I would be willing to cut them some slack at missing a few of the posts here. There have been an awful lot of them and they are actually trying to fix bugs as well as respond to the posts.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:02 PM   #14
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
It's just me right now! It's night time in Australia. I'm debugging the insecure. login issue, since that's a showstopper for people who can't get SSL for whatever reason.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:10 PM   #15
mac'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
It's just me right now! It's night time in Australia. I'm debugging the insecure. login issue, since that's a showstopper for people who can't get SSL for whatever reason.
the fact that it's "just me right now" after the biggest fm "upgrade" (ahem) i've witnessed in my 10 years subscribing is mind boggling and disturbing
mac'd is offline   Reply With Quote