EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 9 Sep 2006, 08:06 AM   #1
rnrsq

forced forwarding using alias

How do I stop forced forwarding when setting up alias' with domain hosting.? Every time I set up an alias it forces a fowarding address to the primary runbox account.
rnrsq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Sep 2006, 08:27 AM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Are you talking about setting up an alias within a subaccount or within the primary account?

Subaccounts can only create aliases with Runbox.* domains. This is because only the primary account can assign aliases for the hosted domain.

The primary account can create aliases for the hosted domain and forward them to a subaccount in the hosted domain.

The default forwarding address is to the account creating the alias but you can change that in the forwarding field when you create the alias.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2006, 08:33 AM   #3
rnrsq

The alias is using a hosted domain name under a primary account. The email works great but only 1 person can read them.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 08:42 AM   #4
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Wait .. I don't follow.

Only one person can read ... of course it only forwards to one account.

Maybe if you explain what is it that you are trying to do I can help. In detail please.

Regards,
Rich
Old 9 Sep 2006, 08:47 AM   #5
rnrsq

My host domain has the MX listed as runbox. When I set up an alias is forces a forward to the primary runbox email name.
All mail gtes to the runbox address instead of staying in a folder when connecting pop.
Filters are set up to have mail go to each alias folder on the account.
More than one person needs to get mail at the domain. Forwarding all mail to one address makes this impossible.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 09:24 AM   #6
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I think I see what you're trying to do now.

You have one Runbox account (no subaccounts).

You have your domain (e.g. mydomain.com) that you are hosting with Runbox.

You created different folders (e.g. dad, mom, son) to store email for different individuals at your domain (e.g. dad@mydomain.com, mom@mydomain.com, son@mydomain.com)

But when a message comes in addressed to more than one address (e.g. dad@mydomain.com and mom@mydomain.com), the first filter that matches the message moves the message to the associated folder (e.g. dad) and the other folders don't get a copy of the message.

Is that correct? If so, then what you're trying to do won't work (as you already found out).

When the message for your domain is delivered to the Runbox mail server it only receives a single copy of the message even if multiple addresses within your domain are specified. The server delivers that one message to your account. When it passes through the filters to move it to a folder it will be moved to the folder of the first filter that matches on it.

If the Runbox filters had a "save copy to folder" you could do it, but they don't.

But don't give up hope. Does your domain registrar provide email forwarding with your domain registration? If so you'd be better off using that to forward the messages to your Runbox account.

If you setup separate forwarding for each username in the domain the forwarding will send a separate email for each forwarding defined. Now you will be receiving one email for each recipient.

Also, for each username in your domain you should use a different Runbox address that goes to your account. You can either create multiple Runbox alias addresses or use Plus-Addressing scheme (e.g. username+dad@runbox.com, username+mom@runbox.com, username+son@runbox.com). You can then create filters to check the headers for the each address the message was forwarded to and move them to the appropriate folder.

And if you're registrar doesn't you might be able to transfer to a registrar that does or use a 3rd party DNS hosting server like ZoneEdit.com that support email forwarding (you can host a couple of domains for free as long as your bandwidth is within their limits for a free account).

I know this is a lot but if you have any questions just ask.

Regards,
Rich
Old 9 Sep 2006, 09:36 AM   #7
rnrsq

Bummer. Just looks like I will go back to the host instead of using runbox.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 09:46 AM   #8
rnrsq

I was using a name@domain%folder . It did work great.
My problems is that my host limits newsletters per hour.
Our org has a mail list that is about double the limit.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 11:28 AM   #9
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Yes, name@domain%folder is Runbox's special "POP from Folder" format that enables you to POP download email from almost any Runbox folder.

Can't you use the forwarding suggestion to forward messages to your Runbox account?

Regards,
Rich
Old 9 Sep 2006, 12:44 PM   #10
rnrsq

For the time being I added a sub account. As for officer email we are going to have to look further for hosting.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 09:05 PM   #11
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
"officer email" ?

Rich