EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Mar 2014, 03:52 PM   #16
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormholeLawyer View Post
But... can you even use an alias to send mail via a third-party client like Apple Mail or Thunderbird? Wouldn't the SMTP send it as your account login, since that is the user/pass you use with Fastmail's IMAP server?
Yes, you can use aliases with SMTP clients. You don't use the alias as the IMAP/SMTP login, you use your regular account address. That authentication step is separate from the SMTP transaction itself, which will use your alias.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2014, 12:57 AM   #17
WormholeLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Yes, you can use aliases with SMTP clients. You don't use the alias as the IMAP/SMTP login, you use your regular account address. That authentication step is separate from the SMTP transaction itself, which will use your alias.
If you are sending/receiving from more than one alias, how does SMTP know? It seems like the big issue would be your mail program would be confused. If I get an email to myalias@mydomain.com but login with myname@mydomain.com and then I reply to all on an email to myalias, it would probably copy my alias into the reply all list because the IMAP program doesn't know that is really my email address.
WormholeLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2014, 01:04 AM   #18
CyberDyne
Master of the @

The login email account (username in server settings) and the sending email account (identity email address / reply address) on your third party client are separate and can different.

Your client 'logs into' your account with one and sends your email with the other - which has been authorised to do so by the successful login.

If you want to set up more than one alis to use, you simply create more accounts on your client.
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2014, 03:06 AM   #19
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormholeLawyer View Post
If you are sending/receiving from more than one alias, how does SMTP know? It seems like the big issue would be your mail program would be confused. If I get an email to myalias@mydomain.com but login with myname@mydomain.com and then I reply to all on an email to myalias, it would probably copy my alias into the reply all list because the IMAP program doesn't know that is really my email address.
The username and password you use when accessing an SMTP server is purely intended to authenticate your right to use the server. (Indeed, at one time, it was common to access SMTP servers without even specifying a username and password). The From address, To address(es) and (if used) Reply To address of your message(s), in principle, have absolutely no relationship to this username and password. The message is created by your mail client and the SMTP server does not change it (apart from adding some headers that indicate the SMTP server used and the date/time).

The From address (or Reply To address) must be a known email address. If this is a Fastmail alias, Fastmail takes care of this and knows which account should receive the email. If using a virtual alias (for your own domain) then it is your responsibility to identify the account (Fastmail or external) that should receive emails to that address.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2014, 08:21 AM   #20
MikeMcr

Getting back on topic, did anyone discover a way to enable SRS for a forward rule? I know there is no SRS checkbox on the forward rules page but I was hoping there was a special sieve command to do this?
MikeMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2014, 12:26 PM   #21
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Forwarding rules which use SRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcr View Post
Getting back on topic, did anyone discover a way to enable SRS for a forward rule? I know there is no SRS checkbox on the forward rules page but I was hoping there was a special sieve command to do this?
No, there is currently no Sieve command or setup to do this directly. But here is a work-around which I have verified works to get SPF passing with both Outlook.com and Gmail using SRS rewriting at Fastmail:
  • Set up an alias (normal or virtual) which targets the external account (or accounts) which need to receive the forwarded messages. Activate SRS on this alias.
  • Set up a normal rule which forwards certain messages (redirect) to the SRS alias described above.
  • Now incoming messages sent to any address (including your main account login address) which satisfy certain rules can be forwarding using rules to the special alias, which then applies SRS and sends to an external account. If you need to control this individually for several external target address, you will need to devote one alias (or virtual alias if you have your own domain) per external forwarding address.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2014, 07:12 PM   #22
MikeMcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
No, there is currently no Sieve command or setup to do this directly. But here is a work-around which I have verified works to get SPF passing with both Outlook.com and Gmail using SRS rewriting at Fastmail:
Thanks for this, I was worried the extra processing may break DKIM checks but a test with GMail seems to look OK for both SPF and DKIM.
MikeMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2015, 02:45 AM   #23
jdmc

Explanations of SRS, SPF, and DKIM

Prior to encountering this thread, I was unfamiliar with the terms "SRS", "SPF", and "DKIM" in the context of email. For the benefit of others new to these concepts who may come across this thread in the future, Wikipedia offers articles explaining Sender Rewriting Scheme (SRS), Sender Policy Framework (SPF), and DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM).
jdmc is offline   Reply With Quote