EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Jan 2017, 11:22 AM   #151
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivil View Post
yes i saw something has changed... because i can see since 2 days some "no messages displayed" . ok in mobile viewer & in desktop viewer.

do not forget to do that to the others buttons like "archive" and "report spam"

And now ladies and gentlemen..... the third bug ^^

Since 2 days, with my 5 inches android device and a bluetooth keyboard, i can not use anymore the "D" keystoke to delete a message... i'm on a mobile viewer mode... still works on the classical tablet/PC mode with my PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXtwqqw2rlc

Why your recent changes did that ??? it worked well before. and also why only in the mobile version ???

first bug: no explanation.
second bug: corrected
third bug: just explained today
Unfortunately it was one or the other. We had to disable delete events while the action bar wasn't showing, because there's no way otherwise to detect whether you actually intended to tap twice and delete two messages. So the D key no longer works on mobile browsers in conversation/message view.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2017, 06:37 PM   #152
vivil
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
Unfortunately it was one or the other.
it is the fact than the "5 icons bar menu" is not entirely dependant of the displayed message...

it is a IFRAME of

"Archive displayed message * Delete displayed message * Report displayed message as spam * Move displayed message in... * Read/unread/pinned/unpinned displayed message"

instead of

"Archive Message-ID <201701170141.f364a78a5ccb@www.emaildiscussions.com> * Delete Message-ID <201701170141.f364a78a5ccb@www.emaildiscussions.com> * Report Message-ID <201701170141.f364a78a5ccb@www.emaildiscussions.com> as spam * Move Message-ID <201701170141.f364a78a5ccb@www.emaildiscussions.com> in... * Read/unread/pinned/unpinned Message-ID <201701170141.f364a78a5ccb@www.emaildiscussions.com>"

The solution with Message-Id (or your own unique internal message-id) are inside the classical interface. it is mandatory. Of course, it is not beautiful buttons but so easy to change that (not now, you will give up it...)

The workaround which you can now implement in actual interface is to continue to IFRAME this menu (as now) in all cases excepting when the user read a mail...

On this case clicking a lot on the same icon as i did (more than 4 times per second)
CAN NOT delete other message...................................... the only disadvantage is you must adding on every message the source code of the 5 icons.

Last edited by vivil : 17 Jan 2017 at 06:52 PM.
vivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2017, 10:09 PM   #153
andretchen

Some features of Classic to preserve - html source editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post
https://neilj.github.io/Squire/
https://github.com/neilj/Squire/blob/master/README.md

Squire is an HTML5 rich text editor, which provides powerful cross-browser normalisation, whilst being supremely lightweight and flexible.
Unlike other HTML5 rich text editors, Squire was written as a component for writing documents (emails, essays, etc.), not doing wysiwyg websites. If you are looking for support for inserting form controls or flash components or the like, you'll need to look elsewhere. However for many purposes, Squire may be just what you need, providing the power without the bloat.
Oh that is just GREAT- thanks! Now I have also answered my previous question. I can use Squire as a "desktop in the sky" to copy images by link and paste into FM Compose. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, this means the image itself, not the link is now part of the body of the email (so if the link dies, the email is not affected etc)

I'm also not clear on how to install the code on a local server (any hints appreciated), that would be on Windows7 or 10 Pro
andretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2017, 02:24 AM   #154
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I find the ability to show user-selected headers is more convenient. For example:
https://www.mediafire.com/?tzd3j94de45st1l

Bill
how do i default the "show details" in the standard theme? or is that only available in the classic theme? (wish we could do our own themes easier like old interface).
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2017, 04:49 AM   #155
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bishop View Post
how do i default the "show details" in the standard theme? or is that only available in the classic theme? (wish we could do our own themes easier like old interface).
The Classic theme is required.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2017, 08:24 AM   #156
bummed99

Hello folks,
I was directed here by fastmail support when I asked if the "new" interface required javascript. They didn't answer but I'll assume for the moment it does. I'm looking for web mail free of both charge and javascript. I mostly use gmail but I'm always on the lookout for alternates. I hadn't previously noticed several options listed earlier in this thread. But a "quick look" indicates that hushmail uses javascript and safe-mail costs a ridiculous $50/year. riseup looks good but requires two invite codes to register. Does anyone have ideas about how to get such codes? Thanks
bummed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2017, 08:55 AM   #157
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bummed99 View Post
Hello folks,
I was directed here by fastmail support when I asked if the "new" interface required javascript. They didn't answer but I'll assume for the moment it does. I'm looking for web mail free of both charge and javascript. I mostly use gmail but I'm always on the lookout for alternates. I hadn't previously noticed several options listed earlier in this thread. But a "quick look" indicates that hushmail uses javascript and safe-mail costs a ridiculous $50/year. riseup looks good but requires two invite codes to register. Does anyone have ideas about how to get such codes? Thanks
New interface does indeed require javascript. We're neither free or charge or javascript, so you definitely don't want FastMail if those are your criteria.

Regards,

Bron.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2017, 10:36 AM   #158
NullSonic

Adding my voice to the 1 or 2% that still use the Classic interface

I just wanted to add my voice to the seemingly very small (as reported on Page 4) percentage of users who still use the Classic interface. I have been a user of Fastmail since 2003 or so (started paying in 2005). At the time I was looking, the (now) Classic interface is the biggest reason I chose FM. It simply excelled above any of the competitors. It had the perfect blend of power and ease of use that I was looking for. It matured over the years to become even better.
Then, the New interface came out. I was excited to try it. I used it, but found it lacking. I was happy when I found I could still use the original interface, and continued to use it.
Over time, I would come back to the New interface, only to find it continued to not meet my needs. I would inevitably switch back to Classic. I thought: I hope the Classic interface will always be available. But I knew that it might not, mainly because of the reasons that have already been stated (maintaining old code, two systems, etc). It's unfortunate.
I will really miss the "keep unread and go to: Next, Previous, N/P Unread, First Last, Folders; Delete and Next/Previous etc." options at the top of messages. I also like selecting a page of emails at a time and deleting or taking action on just that set. I also like being able to move a message to any folder while in a message by clicking on the "move message" button on the left. I like the easy to access Show full header. I like seeing how many emails are in a folder without having to select them all first. These are the things I will miss most. There are other things, but these are invaluable.
I'm sure I won't convince anyone to keep the Classic interface around, but at least I've stated my opinions.
I will miss it, and will grudgingly use the new interface. I will learn the keyboard shortcuts as they seem to hold great power. Who knows, maybe after a year or so, I'll forget I ever loved the Classic interface. Who knows?
NullSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2017, 12:47 PM   #159
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullSonic View Post
I just wanted to add my voice to the seemingly very small (as reported on Page 4) percentage of users who still use the Classic interface. I have been a user of Fastmail since 2003 or so (started paying in 2005). At the time I was looking, the (now) Classic interface is the biggest reason I chose FM. It simply excelled above any of the competitors. It had the perfect blend of power and ease of use that I was looking for. It matured over the years to become even better.
Then, the New interface came out. I was excited to try it. I used it, but found it lacking. I was happy when I found I could still use the original interface, and continued to use it.
Over time, I would come back to the New interface, only to find it continued to not meet my needs. I would inevitably switch back to Classic. I thought: I hope the Classic interface will always be available. But I knew that it might not, mainly because of the reasons that have already been stated (maintaining old code, two systems, etc). It's unfortunate.
I will really miss the "keep unread and go to: Next, Previous, N/P Unread, First Last, Folders; Delete and Next/Previous etc." options at the top of messages. I also like selecting a page of emails at a time and deleting or taking action on just that set. I also like being able to move a message to any folder while in a message by clicking on the "move message" button on the left. I like the easy to access Show full header. I like seeing how many emails are in a folder without having to select them all first. These are the things I will miss most. There are other things, but these are invaluable.
I'm sure I won't convince anyone to keep the Classic interface around, but at least I've stated my opinions.
I will miss it, and will grudgingly use the new interface. I will learn the keyboard shortcuts as they seem to hold great power. Who knows, maybe after a year or so, I'll forget I ever loved the Classic interface. Who knows?
I appreciate and sympathize with your preference for the classic interlace. All I can suggest, that might make the current interface more palatable, is that the newer interface becomes much more efficient for power users once the keyboard shortcuts are learned. Read through the list of shortcuts a few times, and the next time you try the interface, force yourself to find and try the keyboard navigation. My experience with others is that the more limited mouse-based navigation ceases to be an issue. Indeed, for routine, everyday, activities, the current interface becomes faster and more efficient than classic.

It is a fact that a few features from classic are not available in the newer interface, and some are important to me also. It is worth noting that Fastmail has been listening (thank you Bron) and some of these features are coming to the newer interface in the next few months.

If after carefully examining the current interface, including functions available through keyboard shortcuts, you find functionality missing that will seriously impact you, explain what it is and why it is important. Maybe, you can get a sympathetic hearing, and will see what you want coming back.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2017, 03:21 PM   #160
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullSonic
Yes its sad they dont care anymore.... All they wanna do is take all options away from ppl leaving only THIER OPTION.... They want to force javascript WHICH IS NOT GOOD TO HAVE ENABLED!! (Privacy etc)

Its all just quite sad...
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2017, 04:36 PM   #161
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bummed99 View Post
Hello folks,
Hushmail has the option without javascript here: hushmail.com/m The problem is that in this case you can't add attachments.
Recently euxm.net answered me and gave me a free account, it's using many different interfaces to login, and you can do it without javascript too with squirrelmail (it will finish in 1 year or so) and Horde. Try to request a free account If you need some invitation to riseup.net I can give you 1, if you get the other one.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2017, 04:45 PM   #162
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Yes its sad they dont care anymore.... All they wanna do is take all options away from ppl leaving only THIER OPTION.... They want to force javascript WHICH IS NOT GOOD TO HAVE ENABLED!! (Privacy etc)

It's not expensive or difficult to add an interface without javascript (Squirrrelmail, Horde, etc) and make happy some people like us, even all those people looking for an email service without javascript these days when people are afraid to allow some scripts from internet. Nowadays many people use Tor always without javascript and are looking for something like that, I have seen in some reviews of email services the option if these email services need javascript or not, like something people consider important. And what I am discovering with all these changes in Fastmail, even with old accounts, is very very sad. What's happening with Fastmail?.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2017, 07:03 PM   #163
Mugwhamp
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post

Holy Hell! We got it. Rock on, FastMail!
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2017, 09:39 PM   #164
bummed99

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
Hushmail has the option without javascript here: hushmail.com/m The problem is that in this case you can't add attachments.
Recently euxm.net answered me and gave me a free account, it's using many different interfaces to login, and you can do it without javascript too with squirrelmail (it will finish in 1 year or so) and Horde. Try to request a free account If you need some invitation to riseup.net I can give you 1, if you get the other one.
Thanks, edu. I tried hushmail.com/m BUT they also want $50. euxm.net uses js. I couldn't get to a "home page" with squirrelnet.com, squirrelmail.net, horde.com, or horde.net. Ironically gmail, the 500 lb gorilla, seems to be the ONLY reputable US provider free of both js and fee. I also use yandex but unfortunately some software treats ANY yandex userid as spam .

Incidentally, I hadn't mentioned that I've been using fastmail for more than 7 years. It's the javascript in the "new" interface that is prompting me to look elsewhere. And I used lavabit until the Feds forced Ladar to shut down though it looks like he may be back shortly. It remains to be seen if the "new" lavabit is fee and js-free.

Last edited by bummed99 : 19 Jan 2017 at 09:49 PM.
bummed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2017, 10:29 PM   #165
B4its2L8
Master of the @

It's http://eumx.net (You had the "m" and "x" reversed. )

I just logged in to my account there with Squirrelmail and it was fine.
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote