EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Jan 2017, 12:52 PM   #61
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I wonder how many besides myself think fastmail is phasing the wrong one out the classic version was as easy to use as gmail, runbox and many others. Even a dummy like me can use them.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2017, 01:31 PM   #62
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
I wonder how many besides myself think fastmail is phasing the wrong one out the classic version was as easy to use as gmail, runbox and many others. Even a dummy like me can use them.
Speaking only for myself, I do not thing that Fastmail should be phasing anything out. They only have the classic interface, and the new interface.....
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2017, 04:03 PM   #63
Bamb0
Master of the @

No Dave your right...... I am kinda weary about posting replies on this thread as I dont want Brong to get mad or anything at me but I feel WE MUST ALL SPEAK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they are getting rid of the better one..... Its very sad..........
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2017, 05:49 PM   #64
Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
(...) WE MUST ALL SPEAK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!
In that case I need to speak out for the new interface. I find it extremely user friendly and well designed in terms of design and functionality.

There is no feature I miss in the new interface that I can find in the old interface.

Thank you for the good work and support, brong (and the rest of the team)! Please continue providing such a service!
Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2017, 06:15 PM   #65
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Im sorry but ANY BROWSER can be secure if its setup right......... Dont believe the MSM stuff Brong please!!
I'm a software engineer and I know that this is a statement of non-fact.

You're entitled to your own opinion, you're not entitled to your own facts.

IE6 isn't a web browser anyway, it's a custom-Microsoft-markup browser that happens to render a subset of HTML.

And it's known to have multiple holes that Microsoft will no longer fix due to it being years out of security support:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...urity_problems

"support IE6" is not a design goal for anybody building internet software outside of China (where pirate Windows installs are common enough that it reaches over 3% market share, as opposed to less than 1% everywhere else)
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2017, 06:19 PM   #66
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox View Post
In that case I need to speak out for the new interface. I find it extremely user friendly and well designed in terms of design and functionality.

There is no feature I miss in the new interface that I can find in the old interface.

Thank you for the good work and support, brong (and the rest of the team)! Please continue providing such a service!
Thanks Cox.

Thanks to the magic of analyzing log files, I know you are in the majority. I did a bunch of analytics yesterday to prove to myself that we're making the right decision, and it was very much confirmed by the numbers. Most of the users who are using Classic have browsers that support the new interface, and our best approach is the one we're taking - to listen to the common reasons that people are opting to use Classic, and work out how to support their workflows while retiring the unmaintainable old codebase.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2017, 09:49 PM   #67
PON
Essential Contributor

I realize that read-only archival retention is a feature of the most expensive plan, but I'd like to suggest that the new interface, which already includes an Archive button could usefully add the following function:

An auto-archive feature for folders as well as automatic purge of mail older than X days.

Intended function:

move mail to the Archive folder
retain unique copies automatically (purge duplicates)

Am interested to hear what anyone is using as a Linux alternative to MailStore or X1.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2017, 10:01 PM   #68
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
I did a bunch of analytics yesterday to prove to myself that we're making the right decision, and it was very much confirmed by the numbers.
As David pointed out earlier, the fact that people are using the new interface isn't proof that they prefer it.
Most people aren't as bolshie as me and Bamb0.
Or you could say they are more realistic than us, and are resigned to the fact that Fastmail management are going to impose their new interface on us all, come what may, so they'd better get used to it.

I don't use IE6, by the way.
I have a Nokia C2-01, which has its own Symbian browser, and I also have Opera Mini installed.
I have the most up-to-date versions of both browsers.
Nearly all web-sites work fine on one or the other, or both, including Amazon, Paypal, Discogs, this forum and Fastmail Classic.
It's only this blasted new interface that snootily refuses to co-operate.

(Apart from the problem with Fastmail I'm perfectly happy with this little C2-01. It does everything I want. I don't need or want a computer or an expensive, complicated new phone that I don't understand.)

Last edited by Grhm : 11 Jan 2017 at 10:29 PM.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2017, 11:10 PM   #69
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PON View Post
An auto-archive feature for folders as well as automatic purge of mail older than X days.
Part of this is actually already there — if you go into Settings->Folders, edit a folder, and choose Show Advanced Preferences you'll see an auto-purge option that will automatically delete anything older than a certain number of days, as long as it hasn't been "pinned" (or flagged in IMAP terminology).

Discard duplicates is there as well, but I believe that only works for messages delivered to that folder (e.g. incoming mail), not messages moved into a folder.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2017, 11:14 PM   #70
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
IE6 isn't a web browser anyway, it's a custom-Microsoft-markup browser that happens to render a subset of HTML.
Quoted just for almost making coffee come out of my nose this morning....

Right up there with what my colleagues and I used to say about older versions of Microsoft Outlook, also known as "The Melissa Virus Propagation Device."

Last edited by jhollington : 11 Jan 2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:42 AM   #71
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
Quoted just for almost making coffee come out of my nose this morning....
I found that part of Bron's post quite amusing as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Or you could say they are more realistic than us, and are resigned to the fact that Fastmail management are going to impose their new interface on us all, come what may, so they'd better get used to it.
Well, I wanted to refrain from posting in this thread at all. That is mostly why I started using the new interface (even though I wouldn't have worded it quite that way, Grhm), but I found that most of the features I adored in the classic interface were missed mostly for their 'usefulness to me', more than the 'must have'.

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 12 Jan 2017 at 12:59 AM.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2017, 03:26 AM   #72
PON
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Part of this is actually already there — if you go into Settings->Folders, edit a folder, and choose Show Advanced Preferences you'll see an auto-purge option that will automatically delete anything older than a certain number of days, as long as it hasn't been "pinned" (or flagged in IMAP terminology).

Discard duplicates is there as well, but I believe that only works for messages delivered to that folder (e.g. incoming mail), not messages moved into a folder.
Am aware of and use both, thanks. Just want to automate what I'm doing manually. The discard duplicates does seem to work ok, based on message IDs.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2017, 03:57 AM   #73
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PON View Post
Am aware of and use both, thanks. Just want to automate what I'm doing manually. The discard duplicates does seem to work ok, based on message IDs.
Interesting. I just tested it by copying a few messages into a folder, via IMAP, and I ended up with multiple copies. The current web interface doesn't appear to have a copy option, but I didn't try doing it in classic.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 05:25 AM   #74
dsemf

Quote:
Interesting. I just tested it by copying a few messages into a folder, via IMAP, and I ended up with multiple copies. The current web interface doesn't appear to have a copy option, but I didn't try doing it in classic.
Hold the alt key and drag to the destination folder in the sidebar.

DS
dsemf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2017, 06:42 AM   #75
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsemf View Post
Hold the alt key and drag to the destination folder in the sidebar.
Ah, makes total sense, thanks. I use an IMAP client more than the web interface, and I rarely copy messages anyway, so it's something I ever needed to look for.

That said, however, it appears that the discard duplicate messages functionality that PON describes definitely isn't working for me then, since even when I copy messages through the web UI, I do end up with duplicates. From the description of the feature in the advanced folder settings that's kind of what I was expecting, since it uses the word "delivered," so I'm not sure what PON is seeing in his case.