EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 12 Jul 2019, 09:14 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Has anyone tried Wix.com or Weebly.com?

So far I have used Wordpress for website building, but for a side project I'm keen on trying something new. Both Wix and Weebly seem to offer a quite good package for free, and with an easy drag-and-drop system (necessary for a beginner like me who doesn't know HTML or any other programming language for that matter)

I read up on both hosts, both score excellent points on this website reviewing webhosts and from their demo videos both seem easy to use.

A few concerns I had reading and watching the demos though:
- neither of both seems to allow saving a local backup on your hard drive for restoring if anything goes wrong. Weebly allows to save backups of your site on your hard drive in .zip format, but they cannot be used to restore your website if anything happened to it. Wix seems to make backups within their own system as they allow to switch back to an earlier version of your website, but saving a backup locally on your hard drive seems to be impossible, unless "duplicating" your website is what they call saving a backup on your hard drive?
I know you can download a backup of your site using external software such as HTTrack although they call that "mirroring" a website...

- apparently Weebly would block visitors from Russia, Ukraine, and China. I don't know if this is true but if websitetooltester.com is right about that, it is somewhat worrying.

Does any of you have experience with Wix or Weebly? If so, were you satisfied? Would you recommend it?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Sep 2019, 02:22 PM   #2
jessiemiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
So far I have used Wordpress for website building, but for a side project I'm keen on trying something new. Both Wix and Weebly seem to offer a quite good package for free, and with an easy drag-and-drop system (necessary for a beginner like me who doesn't know HTML or any other programming language for that matter)

I read up on both hosts, both score excellent points on this website reviewing webhosts google street view and from their demo videos both seem easy to use.

- neither of both seems to allow saving a local backup on your hard drive for restoring if anything goes wrong. Weebly allows to save backups of your site on your hard drive in .zip format, but they cannot be used to restore your website if anything happened to it. Wix seems to make backups within their own system as they allow to switch back to an earlier version of your website, but saving a backup locally on your hard drive seems to be impossible, unless "duplicating" your website is what they call saving a backup on your hard drive?
I know you can download a backup of your site using external software such as HTTrack although they call that "mirroring" a website...

- apparently Weebly would block visitors from Russia, Ukraine, and China. I don't know if this is true but if websitetooltester.com is right about that, it is somewhat worrying.

Does any of you have experience with Wix or Weebly? If so, were you satisfied? Would you recommend it?
Wordpress, Weebly and Wix are just PHP backed content management systems; all three do the exact same thing (just in a different way) by allowing you to easily update and manage your site without messing with code.

In terms of SEO, Wordpress gets a better rep because of the ability to customize your permalink structure, (a good url structure is great for SEO!) and optimize your site for speed. (Googlebots look at that too)

Also Wordpress has thousands of plugins that helps you optimize your site for search engines. Notice I said 'helps' because ultimately optimizing your site for certain keywords and phrases is up to you and not Wordpress, Wix or Weebly.

Tbh, I wouldn't say Wordpress is superior because you can rank highly using any of the three platforms. However, I must say Wordpress does make it much harder to get SEO completely wrong because they pay a lot more attention to that aspect than the other two.

Honetly search engines (nor visitors at that) don't care if you're with Wordpress, Wix, or Weebly. They are just looking for a relevent site according to what a person is searching for.
jessiemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2020, 10:04 PM   #3
zubairkhan

WordPress vs Weebly Vs Wix

Very helpful thread, Both the CMS are compered awesome, But we cannot forget WordPress; WordPress is the most popular CMS to design websites, and about 35% of websites are built on WordPress, but yes, for WordPress, you have to know the basic knowledge about coding. When it comes to Wix and Weebly, you can build a website by just drag and drop. But if we compare WordPress vs Weebly and Wix, then I always recommend WordPress.
zubairkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2020, 02:24 PM   #4
Bamb0
Master of the @

Welcome to the site my friend
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2020, 07:57 PM   #5
mister
Essential Contributor

I have very modest goals and found Weebly to be easier to use than Wix.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2020, 03:14 AM   #6
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
I have very modest goals and found Weebly to be easier to use than Wix.
Did you find any backup option in either Weebly or Wix? For me, the ability to make backups of my websites is quite important.

In that perspective, Wordpress scores good points as they have a very easy-to-use backup system.
Old 4 Dec 2020, 02:12 PM   #7
mister
Essential Contributor

The pages I made were so simple they didn't require back up, so I'm not sure. You may want to try something like this https://archive.li/. Another super simple website maker is this http://the.42pag.es/
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2020, 08:57 AM   #8
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
...a beginner like me who doesn't know HTML
I strongly recommend you to acquaint yourself with the basics of HTML. It's not at all difficult, and even a little knowledge of it can be enormously useful.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2020, 03:55 AM   #9
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
The pages I made were so simple they didn't require back up, so I'm not sure. You may want to try something like this https://archive.li/. Another super simple website maker is this http://the.42pag.es/
I didn't know that one, so thanks for recommending. The title of the site translates as "42 pages", so I hope there's no restriction on how many pages your site may contain.

As for Wix and Weebly: I think any site you invest time and effort in (writing texts, uploading photos, etc) should have a back-up made now and then, so that you can re-upload should anything happen to the site. This is why I'm so curious if Wix/Weebly allow back-ups or not.
Old 10 Dec 2020, 05:32 AM   #10
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister;618263 Another super simple website maker is this [url
http://the.42pag.es/[/url]
Super simple and super underdeveloped. Their "contact", "Learn more", "terms" and "privacy" pages say . "[your text here]".
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2020, 08:53 AM   #11
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
..for a beginner like me who doesn't know HTML..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
I strongly recommend you to acquaint yourself with the basics of HTML. It's not at all difficult, and even a little knowledge of it can be enormously useful.
HTML tutorials

Tsunami, I suggest going thru some of these links. I agree with Grhm, HTML isn't difficult (it may look so at first, but it's really not) and just knowing how it works can be very useful.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2021, 03:28 AM   #12
Nigan

As I understand Weebly is really easy to use but lacks theme customization. Wix, on the other hand, gives you plenty of freedom but can occasionally get chaotic. So to me as a beginner, Weebly will be better. However, my friend (he has much more experience than I have) created easily a site on Wix. He runs a blog about pets and now as far as I know even decided to start promoting his site using link-building tools Therefore, everything depends only on your experience and knowledge.

Last edited by ReuvenNY : 1 Mar 2023 at 01:49 AM. Reason: link removed
Nigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2023, 04:43 PM   #13
5rvdigitaluk

Thumbs up I've tried Wix as well and Wordpress

Quote:

I read up on both hosts, both score excellent points on this website reviewing webhosts and from their demo videos both seem easy to use.

I've tried Wix as well as Wordpress and m experience is better with Wix so far, because Wix has more Theme templates, more customizations options and best it has different editor for mobile which is plus point for me as of today most of the users are on mobile and open the websites on it, Here you can see the example of my wix site.
5rvdigitaluk is offline   Reply With Quote