EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 4 Nov 2020, 06:06 AM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Workspace changes storage limits

Those who use G Suite are being gradually transitioned to Google Workspace. The price remains the same for the Business Standard tier, but the unlimited storage (if you have 5 users or more) is apparently going away, being replaced by a 2 TB limit per user. Google is being vague about what happens to existing users who have more than 2TB. Interesting article on this problem: https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-h...-to-workspace/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Nov 2020, 03:17 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Free Google Photo storage going away too

This may be the last straw for me with Google--changing the terms on billions of users. After June 2021 Google Photos storage that used to be free now counts against your storage. https://blog.google/products/photos/storage-changes/
Old 20 Nov 2020, 10:44 AM   #3
EricG
Essential Contributor

Since I backup in original quality, it already counts against my 15GB. Not a big deal because I average about 100 photos per year. If I were doing compressed "high" quality, I would also back up to my desktop.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2020, 08:21 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Apparently, if you have a Pixel phone you will still be allowed to upload unlimited photos at the "High Quality" level, which is not full size. This is from Google Photos help: https://support.google.com/photos/?hl=en#topic=6128818
Quote:
Important: If you have a Pixel 5 or an earlier device, you’ll continue to receive free unlimited storage for photos and videos backed up from your Pixel devices. Learn more about your storage options.
I have over 200GB of photos stored in Google Photos, but I have mostly also backed those up over the years locally on several hard drives. I need to make sure to keep those backups up to date. A lot of people have a lot more photos stored there, making it difficult to download and restore them someplace. Someone on here has reported multiple Terabytes of photos uploaded.
Old 23 Nov 2020, 01:12 PM   #5
EricG
Essential Contributor

Any existing high Q photos do NOT count, only those after July 2021.

You don't want to use high Q if you're a professional. These still apply:
Quote:
Photos are compressed to save space. If a photo is larger than 16MP, it will be resized to 16MP.
You can print good quality 16MP photos in sizes up to 24 inches x 16 inches.
Videos higher than 1080p will be resized to high-definition 1080p. A video with 1080p or less will look close to the original. Some information, like closed captions, might be lost.
I don't see the point of resolution more than 3K X 4K (13MP) on phones. I'd rather have higher ISO. My monitor is only 8MP.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote