EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Jun 2003, 07:29 AM   #1
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Anyone using Palm/Pocket PC/Phone/etc succesfully please read

Hi all,

To those who are successfully using Palm, Pocket PC or similar devices.. we would like to collect all info regarding the setting up and accessing of one's account in these devices and add the info to the FAQ. Like how to set up the device to access one's account, any problems while setting up or accessing the account, any workarounds, tips... whatever you feel would be relevant when using the device.

Kurian.
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Jun 2003, 04:43 PM   #2
VinceS

Here's a thread I started a while ago about Pocket Outlook and Fastmail. I'm still looking for a quality solution to the problem...

Pocket PC 2002 and IMAP
VinceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2003, 07:34 PM   #3
davidbstanley
Cornerstone of the Community

I have been using the IMAP client in my T68i mobile phone for some time now to check my email over GPRS. It was a pain to set up because of the lack of information on the settings, particularly the GPRS. Setting it up is a two stage process. The first is for the GPRS and the second the normal account details which would be common to a GPRS or a normal dial up connection.

GPRS
The GPRS settings are the bit that causes most problems. It is often possible to download these settings from the providers or phone manufacturers web site. They are normally sent straight to the phone. It may also be necessary to susbscibe to the GPRS service with the cellular provider. In the Ericsson phones these settings are stored in a data account (Connect/Data comm./Data accounts). The most important setting is the APN. It is important to know that the APN for WAP services will not work for an internet service such as Fastmail. You will need to find out the APN (if you cannot get the settings sent straight to your phone). It will probably be something like 'Internet'.

First select 'Add account?' then 'GPRS data' and give it a name. These are the settings I use for Vodafone in the UK with my T68i:-

APN 'Internet'
User ID leave blank
Password leave blank
Save the new account.

Email settings
These are pretty straight forward and are as in any email client. Select the 'Messages/Email/Options/Edit account' menu then 'Add new?'.

Account name: 'Fastmail'
Connect using Choose the data account you set up in the last step'
Protocol 'IMAP4'
Inc. server 'mail.messagingengine.com'
Incoming port '143'
Mailbox 'User ID for the Fastmail mailbox'
Password 'Password for Fastmail mailbox'
Outgoing server 'mail.messagingengine.com'
Outgoing port '25'
Email address 'your email address'
Download 'Headers only'
From name 'Your name'
Signature 'No signature'
Copy outgoing 'OFF'
Check interval 'OFF'

Use the 'No' key to back out of the account settings. You new account should be in the Edit account list. If you have more than one email account, you may need to set the Fastmail account as the active account in the options menu. Now going back to the Email menu, select 'Send & receive'. The phone will try to connect to FM and dowload all the message headers in the inbox. The phone will first show 'Connecting' then 'Finding server' then 'Receiving messages'. If after a while the message 'Server not found' is shown, there may be a problem with the data account.

A useful source of help (apart from the Fastmail forums) is at http://www.esato.com/board/index.php?viewcat=2
davidbstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2003, 09:10 PM   #4
injinuity

Kurian,

When it comes to using PDA's and fastmail, the main problem is the actual setting of the device to access the network.Once thats done accessing fastmail is easy.

One point to be noted is that, most PDA mail software still supports pop3 and IMAP is limited to only a few software.

Jinu Johnson
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2003, 10:08 PM   #5
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Hi Jinu,

Can you please add here the problems you had in setting up the PDA? And any workaround, tips, etc.? Should be useful to those following your footsteps.

Any info, even if it is not directly related to accessing your account, like setting up the device for the network, is welcome.

Kurian.
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2003, 05:56 PM   #6
injinuity

Unfortunately I dont have a GPRS connection, I tried most all the email softwares tho on the palm and feel that the account setup is pretty simplistic... the real problem is setting up the network... since I didnt have a gprs connection I couldnt really test it...

For those in the USA, Uk area I do recommend VersaMail 2.5 as it has excellent IMAP support and preconfigured network settings...

Jinu Johnson
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2003, 08:03 AM   #7
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Ooh, hope you figure out how to do POP on a T61 (sonyericsson). I have one, with free data. Would be very cool!
Currently, my Sieve script moves nearly everything out of my Inbox, I could set it to put the most important small ones back in my inbox, for my phone to retreive.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2003, 05:11 PM   #8
davidbstanley

Quote:
Originally posted by elvey
Ooh, hope you figure out how to do POP on a T61 (sonyericsson). I have one, with free data. Would be very cool!
Currently, my Sieve script moves nearly everything out of my Inbox, I could set it to put the most important small ones back in my inbox, for my phone to retreive.
There is a lot of help available here http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic...79&forum=14&25
davidbstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2003, 11:56 PM   #9
ShavenYak

Palm VersaMail

I'm using VersaMail 2.5 by Palm (I snagged it before they made it a pay-only download). It seems to be about the best Palm IMAP client. It worked great with my ISP, but I can't really use it with Fastmail. Why? It doesn't support nested folders, and on Fastmail everything is a subfolder of INBOX. So I can read my new mail in my Inbox, but I can't get to other folders or move mail around or anything. I don't even like to send mail with it, because the sent mail won't get filed into the Sent Items folder.

I'd sure love it if Fastmail could set up a different IMAP server that presented the folders as a straight list instead of a hierarchy under INBOX. hint, hint.
ShavenYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2003, 07:58 AM   #10
MikeK

Lightbulb PSION 5mx Settings for FastMail

Hi,

You may wish to have a look in a page I've put here:

FastMail Settings

It details instructions with screenshots for accessing FastMail with a Psion 5mx, using different mail clients and web browsers.

Please excuse the adverts that lycos/tripod display on the page - it's free so I have had to put up with it

I noticed that in order for the subfolders to be accessible, I have to leave the Root folder/path blank. Otherwise I can only see the Inbox.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Kind regards,

Mike
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2003, 01:01 PM   #11
TambourineMan

I have a 2215 running WM2003. I can get fastmail inbox messages when connected to my PC on my home network (NAT thru a Linux server on a Dlink router firewall) but cannot send email (I keep getting a message "the outgoing mail server cannot send or receive messages at this time. Try again later") (I am using imaps.proxy.fastmail.fm)

I cannot get even incoming messages at work probably due to our firewall which I tried to get around by using the imaps.proxy server. I do not want to get office mail from our Exchange server as the volume is too great.

I also cannot see messaqes in my sub-folders probably due to the differences between PPC's and fastmail.

Any advice on how to get fastmail working would be appreciated
TambourineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2003, 06:50 PM   #12
A[L]C

anyone managed to do this with a nokia 6600??
A[L]C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2003, 06:48 AM   #13
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

The mail settings on my phone were angled towards people who are accessing their ISP servers, and had to dial-in through the ISP.

You don't really need that with Fastmail, so what I did was to copy across the isdn call setup from the WAP configuration, and set the IP address of one of Fastmail zoneedit nameservers as the DNS server for email.

The advantages of that is that I don't need to change anything if I change ISP, and it avoids the ISP putting any extra costs on the call.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2003, 01:02 AM   #14
wibbly
Essential Contributor

A UI designed for the small screen (WAP or HTML these days) would be very good and potentially:

- avoid all the IMAP/POP3 issues

- avoid IMAP sync traffic (significant I think if you have 1000's messages in a folder), & only pay GPRS traffic for what you view + a little navigation traffic

There was a FM WAP initiative which works ok for reading, but remains broken for sending mail. Pocket IE, BlackBerry's, and most phones these days all support WAP and many support simple HTML. Web & WAP browsers are also available for the Palm platform.

Just a thought

W

Last edited by wibbly : 28 Nov 2003 at 01:48 AM.
wibbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2003, 01:36 AM   #15
XB77
Essential Contributor

Links to WAP threads

Sorry Kurian, I know that this isn't what you want, but other readers of this thread whose phones are WAPable and haven't already seen them, might want to look at these recent threads about FastMail WAP access (yes a sort of alpha phase version exists wap.fastmail.fm):

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...ght=wap+access

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...ght=wap+access
XB77 is offline   Reply With Quote