EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 6 Apr 2020, 10:45 AM   #1
writer123

How to download mail from webmail as a text file

Hello. I have webmail accounts from three different providers. I'm looking for general way to download my mail and keep it on my local drive as a backup.

I am going to contact each provider and see if they offer a solution, but I wanted to try here first.

I've thought about installing Thunderbird and switching over to POP temporarily, saving as EML, and then switching back to webmail, but that does not seem like an elegant solution. Suggestions?
writer123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Apr 2020, 03:04 PM   #2
writer123

Problem solved.

I installed Thunderbird and set up the webmail account as IMAP in Thunderbird. I found that by using IMAP you can have the account open in both Thunderbird and a web browser at the same time.

Then using Thunderbird I exported the contents of a mail folder to my hard drive. In other words I created a folder on my hard drive with the same name as the mail folder and copied all of the messages onto the hard drive.

To test if I could view the contents of the local folder, in Thunderbird I created a folder under "Local folders" and copied the messages back to Thunderbird. I was able to see and open the messages in the folder.

To summarize, the contents of the folder that were previously only visible in webmail now reside on my hard drive and in a "local folder" in Thunderbird. If your webmail has limited space, this is a good way to delete old content from the webmail server but still have an archive if you need it.
writer123 is offline   Reply With Quote