EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Setting up/running an email service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Setting up/running an email service If you're setting up an email service from scratch, or running one, exchange ideas and tips with other Webmasters here...

Old 5 Jul 2014, 08:33 PM   #1
borisb

my client cannot send mails with google apps account

hi,

for a client of mine i might have messed things up a little and need help now as i'm getting too confused. I have transferred her domain to another host but the emailservices weren't transferred with it. She had a Google apps account and reads her mails into mac mail app.

I previously set up a new mailaccount into her mail app with the IMAP settings the host provided me while her old emailaccount still existed. She received mails into her new account and could send mails also.

Only recently i learned that she had a Google apps account and you need to enter the MX settings on the host side, so I have set the Google MX server settings to direct the mails to her 'old' mailbox. She receives the mails back in her old mailbox now but she cannot send any. People sending her mails also get a failure delivery:
"Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain teampact.be by teampact.be. [46.21.173.137].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 authentication required"

I assume i have to configure the server settings on the old account but i'm getting lost on what to do exactly.

- When i go to the account settings, should she send mails through the gmail server or the host server?
- when i change any setting gmail sends a verification code but i cannot recieve it because i get a delivery failure

Can anyone please help or advise

thanks!
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Jul 2014, 10:33 PM   #2
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

The IP address (46.21.173.137) that is rejecting mail addressed to your client's domain (teampact.be) traces back to Technotop Internet Bv and is listed as hosting many domains, which means it appears to be a shared host.

The domain teampact.be ( http://whois.domaintools.com/teampact.be ) is registered to Peter Huyskens of Webcreating IT Services who seems to be the technical contact for the domain.

The registrar shows that the Domain Name Servers (DNS) for teampact.be is at webcreating-dns4.be, but a traceroute shows that the DNS is at axc.nl

This means that the internet is assuming that the domain is hosted at axc.nl, which is what the SMTP error from Google shows. Google tries to deliver mail to axc.nl and fails to do so,

The odd thing is that the error seems to come not from a real MX record but from an inferred MX record.

MX tool box ( http://mxtoolbox.com/ ) shows no MX records at all for teampact.be

Until there are legitimate MX records on record at the current DNS host for teampact.be, which the internet thinks is axc.nl, mail delivery will be impaired.

If your client has an active and properly configured Google Apps account then the MX records need to point to Google ( https://support.google.com/a/answer/174125?hl=en ).

In any case, your MX records should exist.

They currently do not.

Where do you edit the DNS records for this domain?

If you don't know, you will definitely need help.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2014, 12:43 AM   #3
borisb

The domain teampact.be is hosted at Versio, their mailservers are indeed axc.nl.
The rest which you tell me doesn't ring a bell to me

i did set the MX records on the DirectAdmin panel yesterday (morning though) and was told it could take 24 hours to take effect. Might be that which is causing the impairment?

Thx for the time to look into it. I really apreciate it!

Bart
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2014, 12:48 AM   #4
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

The DNS at Versio -- ns146.axc.nl -- is the one reporting that no MX records exist, according to a fresh check by http://mxtoolbox.com/ .

This is not a propagation issue, which only affects added domains that need records for their DNS host.

It looks like the MX records are not properly configured at axc.nl.

Quote:
MXTB-PWS3v2 1357ms
0 c.ns.dns.be 194.0.43.1 NON-AUTH 109 ms Received 2 Referrals , rcode=NO_ERROR NS ns146.axc.nl,NS ns145.axc.nl,

1 ns146.axc.nl 46.21.173.138 AUTH 124 ms Received 1 Referrals , rcode=NO_ERROR SOA mname=ns145.axc.nl/rname=hostmaster.teampact.be/serial=2014070405,

Just to note, the domain named has a misconfigured WordPress installation on its A record: http://teampact.be/wp-admin/

Last edited by kaptitsky : 10 Jul 2014 at 01:01 AM.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote