EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 13 Oct 2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Agx

Yahoo Mail vs Gmail: what do you chose?

Hi!

In a comparative between Yahoo Mail and Gmail what do you chose and why?

Bye!
Agx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Oct 2015, 08:48 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Personally I much prefer Gmail's web interface and filtering system.
Mind you, I'm not a heavy user of either service.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2015, 09:05 PM   #3
Agx

It's true that Yahoo is more prone to hack?
Agx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2015, 11:57 PM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
I was thinking yahoo new webmail just sucks, many times I can't read/write message within it.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2015, 02:39 AM   #5
David
Ultimate Contributor

Though I no longer use either one, I have (in the past) used both of these companies extensively.

If I were to go back (for whatever reason) I would certainly choose GMail. Yahoo was 'flaky' for me and often malfunctioned . GMail always worked (as it should) and always worked very well.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2015, 09:28 PM   #6
Just Bill

Neither service appeals to me.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2015, 07:46 PM   #7
NJSS
Master of the @

Quote:
Neither service appeals to me.
Nor me.

FastMail or POBox forwarding to ?? would be my choice.

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2015, 12:44 AM   #8
ccl1
Essential Contributor

just my opinion but i would not use yahoo for anything other than a junk email account. i did an experiment a while back and made a completely new yahoo email account, and never used it for anything. never gave the email address out, and literally within days started to get spam.
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2015, 11:42 AM   #9
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

I don't like either of them.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2015, 05:07 PM   #10
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agx View Post
It's true that Yahoo is more prone to hack?
Not any more prone that other big name free services.

I use both Yahoo and Gmail. I have three Yahoo! Mail accounts, one Gmail. From my perspective either service is okay. I rarely use the web mail interface to read, send messages. I fetch messages from two Yahoo! Mail accounts using POP3 to download messages to my client, then delete them from the server. The third Yahoo! Mail account I use IMAP4 as I have a need to access this account from multiple devices.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2015, 01:02 AM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I hope everyone realizes that the reasons you get spam are very rarely because someone has hacked into the email provider master database and extracted account names and passwords. Most spam is received because:
  • The spammers are using lists of email addresses they buy in secret forums.These addresses come from many sources (including searching websites and security breaches at advertising firms), but very rarely by direct access to an email provider's internal database.
  • If you (or anyone else) has used a certain email username at another email provider and it is on the spammer lists, creating a new account with that username at Yahoo will most certainly cause you to receive spam. Spammers understand that people reuse their usernames (before the @ in email address) at different accounts.
  • Spammers use dictionary attacks and other smart techniques to try to guess email addresses. For example, if you create a new email account at Yahoo (or some other popular email provider) with the username Sam123, it will probably be quickly found by a spammer due to the construction (common name followed by 1, 2, or 3 digit integer). If you instead use S2a8m3 you will probably never be found with a dictionary attack, since that's not a common username style.
  • If you use a complex unusual username for an email address you will probably never receive a single piece of spam unless it's leaked by someone who receives your emails or a service (such as a retailer) whose email database is compromised.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2015, 03:32 AM   #12
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
the reasons you get spam are very rarely because someone has hacked into the email provider master database and extracted account names and passwords.
To send spam(*) to somebody all you need is the recipient's email address. The associated password is redundant..
------
(*) or a legitimate message
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote