EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Nov 2012, 04:11 PM   #1
JohnMike

Delete Conversations

I think I just made a big mistake on the new UI.

I just wanted to delete the last message sent prior to my reply.

I hit delete and this message along with ALL the other messages have gone.

Please tell me this can't be true.

What complete IDIOT would design a system like this.

How the heck are we meant to manage our e mail now ?????????

The choice seems to be keep everything or delete everything.

This not how I manage my e-mails.

How do you select an individual part of one of these blasted conversations and delete, move it, edit it, fwd it.

This is going back to the dark ages!!

Who ever designed this quite obviously hasn't got a clue and must have absolutely zero experience of managing large numbers of e mails.

Well I say mad actually I am upset, sad, depressed, you think you are one step ahead because you've had the intelligence to seek out and utilise a brilliant, simple, reasonably priced e mail system, and some complete idiot comes along a trashes it. Smash, gone, destroyed.

Very very sad.

Last edited by JohnMike : 1 Nov 2012 at 05:21 PM.
JohnMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Nov 2012, 05:27 PM   #2
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Hi John,

If you would prefer not to deal with related messages as a whole, you can turn off conversations by clicking "Settings" in the top right; it's the first option under Reading. If you've accidentally deleted messages, they can be restored either from the trash folder (select sort by "Date of deletion" to quickly find the most recently deleted conversations), or if they've been permanently deleted within the last week, by selecting "Account" in the top right, then "Restore from Backup".

Of course, the previous interface remains available as well; just select "Use classic interface" when you log in.

Kind regards,

Neil.
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2012, 05:51 PM   #3
NJSS
Master of the @

Good advice from Neil, who did much of the development of the Ajax UI:-

Quote:
"Use classic interface" when you log in.

I think, this time, he's right on the ball.

NJSS

Last edited by NJSS : 1 Nov 2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: To add a :) - light hearted (somewhat).
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Joe Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
Hi John,

If you would prefer not to deal with related messages as a whole, you can turn off conversations by clicking "Settings" in the top right
You're not answering his question: "How do you select an individual part of one of these blasted conversations and delete, move it, edit it, fwd it?"

I imagine that this is because there is no suitable answer, i.e. you can't.

Let me propose a simple solution to all our woes and save the FM team a lot of long days and sleepless nights: throw it away. Yes, throw away the past n months' work. Just get rid of it. It doesn't work. (I would like to say that it doesn't work as advertised, but we know how funny that would be.) Even if you can make it work, we still won't want to use it. Once bitten and all that... Learn from the lessons of the past 48+ hours and give us what we want: proper Ajax under the covers if that's a good thing, and all the functionality that we had before (where possible) and no new bells or whistles that nobody said they wanted. Is that really too much to ask for?

Jeremy, RobM, where are you now?
Joe Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2012, 07:19 PM   #5
JohnMike

neilj

Ok I didn't know that I could switch it off, but of course there is absolutely no way I could know that I could switch it off because we haven't been given any notice nor documentation relating to the change.

I do hear what you are saying about classic. But has I have stated many times here, firstly classic is not the same as going back to the system we had on the 29th secondly the fight must be to restore the functions we know and love to the new UI. Otherwise there is simply no point in keeping FM - other than the considerable tie in - i.e. moving email addresses.

So I am trying to get used to the new UI.

I'll give your suggestion a go.

P:S I have recovered the deleted messages but that really isn't the point.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 07:39 PM   #6
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMike View Post
no point in keeping FM - other than the considerable tie in - i.e. moving email addresses.
I have my own domain that costs me a few pounds a year. I only use it to give me an unlimited number of email addresses. The domain host redirects emails wherever I choose. I can keep my email addresses and establish an IMAP account elsewhere.

I wonder how many Fastmail users have that freedom, and can skip off to another corner of cyberspace with very little trouble?

I use

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

At the click of a button I can dump Fastmail for another email service, and those who regularly email me will not know their mails are being routed differently.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2012, 08:46 PM   #7
NJSS
Master of the @

labarum

A large number of us use POBox.Com for the same, and other reasons.

You might find it works well with your own domains; it certainly does for me.

NJSS
Old 1 Nov 2012, 08:54 PM   #8
JohnMike

labarum

Hi labarum, brillaint!! that sounds absolutely spot on exactly what I need.

I am just slightly confused when you say that you can keep your e mail addresses.

Does that mean that I can have JohnMike@fastmail.co.uk on http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

Because obviously it is the fastmail bit that would take hours to replace in printed form, headers, web pages, logins and registrations etc.

Wow if that's possible I would feel a 100% more comfortable with what is going on here.

If everything ends in tears I could then just redirect to my hosting package or thunderbird.

I am also having another go at thunderbird. Not used it for a very long time and still getting my head round it. It's not what we had a few days ago but if it came to the push it's liveable with. So long as I can keep my email addresses I have a route out.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 09:15 PM   #9
NJSS
Master of the @

If you want to keep JohnMike@fastmail.co.uk then you can do so, but you will have to continue to subscribe to FM.

You can set your address JohnMike@fastmail.co.uk to forward everything to either POBox.com or your own domain.

Then you choose whether to continue using JohnMike@fastmail.co.uk, or gradually replace it with JohnMike@POBox.Com or JohnMike@JohnMike.Com.

I use FM for all my webmail but it is forwarded to FM from POBox, who also forward it to another account to provide elegant redundancy, if FM should be inaccessible.

Have a look here:-

http://www.pobox.com/

NJSS
Old 1 Nov 2012, 09:18 PM   #10
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I am also having another go at thunderbird. Not used it for a very long time and still getting my head round it.
If you end up going the Thunderbird route, I'd highly recommend considering Postbox. It's built on TB, but with many enhancements that make it justify the $10 Postbox costs.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2012, 09:34 PM   #11
NJSS
Master of the @

Don't confuse:-

POBox.Com

- and -

Postbox-inc.Com

to which sflorack has made reference.

NJSS
Old 1 Nov 2012, 09:35 PM   #12
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSS View Post
I use FM for all my webmail but it is forwarded to FM from POBox, who also forward it to another account to provide elegant redundancy, if FM should be inaccessible.

Have a look here:-

http://www.pobox.com/

NJSS
I have exaclty the same design.
As an extra you can keep the redundancy at Pobox with the Mailstore feature.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2012, 09:59 PM   #13
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Never understood the advantage of using POBox. Owning your own domain is cheaper and probably more than sufficient for most people. (POBox doesn't -- or at least DIDN'T support catch-all addresses.)
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2012, 09:59 PM   #14
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Does that mean that I can have JohnMike@fastmail.co.uk on http://www.123-reg.co.uk/
Sorry to raise you hopes. NSJJ has answered you.

From the beginning I used the Fastmail servers by redirection from my own set of email addresses on the domain I registered at 123. I have never used anyaddress@fastmail dot fm.

So I have something like

name1@mydomain dot org
name2@mydomain dot org
name3@mydomain dot org

and forwarded the mail to those addresses to particular folders on the Fastmail IMAP server.

Other members of my family use theirname@mydomain dot org to an account of their choosing

When sending email from Fastmail I send as if from aname@mydomain dot org

The Fastmail system did and still does allow all this, but it had to be set up from the start.

This is one of the reasons I choose Fastmail and bought my own domain - to keep my email addresses mine and separate from ISPs and mail servers.

I may not be typical, but I guess quite a few Fastmail users have adopted similar strategies.

I can jump ship anytime and in seconds - I have a few other means in reserve.

Yes: redundancy.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2012, 10:50 PM   #15
JohnMike

Hi Labarum and NSJJ and sflorack

Yes ok this is the sort of structure I was expecting to have to set up when trying to think through an exit strategy, but it is incredibly useful to have this confirmed. So thank you.

I thought it was a bit of too good to be true that I could use fastmail on another mail provider.

Clearly you guys are streets ahead of the game having this redundancy in place from the off.
So simple when you layout it out like that. Doh why didn't I think of that.

It's going to take a little bit of thinking through how to ease from my current set up to a set up like yours. And what ever I do it is going to take time and money. I feel slightly trapped.

Two days ago I wouldn't have given it a second thought having had a completely reliable rock solid e mail system for years and years.

But I think regardless of what happens with FM this elegant redundancy has suddenly become and absolute must do. I do not ever wish to have a metaphoric gun held to my head like this again.

Looking for the positives in the situation perhaps this is something that should always have been in place and we have all had an extremely useful wake up call.

In essence I have learnt never ever again to rely an e-mail address that isn't part of a domain that I own and control. As they say there is nothing more expensive than experience!

Thank you for the guidance.