EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 Nov 2008, 11:03 PM   #46
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix View Post
Even if I'm happy to see a lot of improvements in FM, please don't turn FM in Gmail!!

IM is a cool (and sometime useful, even if timewasting) feature, but I don't want to see it in the mail interface. If someone wants to use it, can install a client (Adium, Pidgin, ...) or try jwchat.org
What is the concern you have with it being in the interface? The thing is, communication forms are heading strongly in the direction of convergence, not divergence.

I am a user of gmail, and I simply ignore their online messaging client. I am sure there will be a way to disable it if you don't want it active.

The problem with not having it in an interface is that those that rely on instant messaging, and travel to use other computers, you cannot simply install your favorite client on every computer you use.

As I said, I am sure there will be a way to enable/disable this feature. I would hope such an option would allay any reasonable persons concerns regarding such a feature.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2008, 06:00 AM   #47
sergeymk

Smile jabber for virtual domains

It would be awesome to be able to get onto jabber via my 'virtual domain' (DNS hosted at fm).

That would be the ultimate flexibility -- being able to keep your jabber address as long as you keep your domain--regardless of any IM provider changes. You would now really 'own' your Jabber address, and will not be tied down to any single IM provider.

Of course, until that is more widely supported, FM would probably be the only available provider.

The bottom line is, I wholeheartedly support your Jabber effort, and hope you will be able to figure out Jabber support for Virtual Domains.
sergeymk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2008, 07:06 AM   #48
kirill
Cornerstone of the Community

Just sign up for the family package and you'll be able to create users under your domain and be able to use that address as your jabber id.
kirill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2008, 12:49 PM   #49
sergeymk

I don't think you can do that. I tried.

edit: I have an Enhanced account.
sergeymk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2008, 01:35 PM   #50
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeymk View Post

You can only have a jabber account on your primary username currently, and your primary username can only be in your own domain for family and business packages.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2008, 04:33 PM   #51
kirill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeymk View Post

You will need a family package or a business package. Then you can define a user (a real user, not a virtual alias) in a domain of your choice and use that account for email and chat. And if you want a VoIP (SIP-based) address that matches your email address too, you could create an account at the iptel.org service.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 11:55 PM   #52
nooby
Essential Contributor

Could a Moderator change the Thread title so it reflect the fact that one need to pay for this feature and it is not for all users of FM cause me as a Guest can't use it AFAIK
nooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2008, 05:04 AM   #53
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooby View Post
Could a Moderator change the Thread title so it reflect the fact that one need to pay for this feature and it is not for all users of FM cause me as a Guest can't use it AFAIK
You can use it, just not with your own domain. Given that you can't use your own domain as a guest anyway, that's hardly a massive restriction...
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2008, 02:50 AM   #54
fahrner

I have family accounts with usernames "user@mydomain.tld". How do I setup SRV records in my domain, so that clients can connect without having to configure chat.messaginengine.com as server?

I queried fastmail.fm and got:

Code:
_jabber._tcp.fastmail.fm. 3600  IN      SRV     5 0 5269 chat.messagingengine.com.
_xmpp-server._tcp.fastmail.fm. 3600 IN  SRV     5 0 5269 chat.messagingengine.com.
So I tried
Code:
_jabber._tcp.mydomain.tld. 3600  IN      SRV     5 0 5269 chat.messagingengine.com.
_xmpp-server._tcp.mydomain.tld. 3600 IN  SRV     5 0 5269 chat.messagingengine.com.
But this does not seem to work. I tried it with iChat, Adium and Psi. Neither of them can connect to my account.
fahrner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2008, 02:34 AM   #55
kirill

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrner View Post
I have family accounts with usernames "user@mydomain.tld". How do I setup SRV records in my domain, so that clients can connect without having to configure chat.messaginengine.com as server?

I queried fastmail.fm and got:

Code:
_jabber._tcp.fastmail.fm. 3600  IN      SRV     5 0 5269 chat.messagingengine.com.
_xmpp-server._tcp.fastmail.fm. 3600 IN  SRV     5 0 5269 chat.messagingengine.com.
So I tried
Code:
_jabber._tcp.mydomain.tld. 3600    IN    SRV     5 0 5269 chat.messagingengine.com.
_xmpp-server._tcp.mydomain.tld. 3600 IN  SRV     5 0 5269 chat.messagingengine.com.
But this does not seem to work. I tried it with iChat, Adium and Psi. Neither of them can connect to my account.
You need to put _xmpp-client there. Like this:

Code:
_xmpp-client._tcp.mydomain.tld. IN    SRV     20 0 5222 chat.messagingengine.com.
_jabber._tcp.mydomain.tld.      IN    SRV     20 0 5269 chat.messagingengine.com.
_xmpp-server._tcp.mydomain.tld. IN    SRV     20 0 5269 chat.messagingengine.com.
Old 9 Dec 2008, 02:57 AM   #56
fahrner

Thank you kirill, that seems to be working. At least with Adium and Psi. iChat seems to be not querying SRV records.
fahrner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2010, 08:28 AM   #57
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

Hey, I'm new to this Jabber thingy. I just setup/linked my FM account to jabber via Trillian. But I do have some stupid questions. As most of my contact are on Skype is there any way that I can use the Jabber protocol with Skype so I can have my message history mailed to me? Or is Jabber a separate "service" just like ICQ?
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2010, 10:29 AM   #58
Temmokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertz123456 View Post
Hey, I'm new to this Jabber thingy. I just setup/linked my FM account to jabber via Trillian. But I do have some stupid questions. As most of my contact are on Skype is there any way that I can use the Jabber protocol with Skype so I can have my message history mailed to me? Or is Jabber a separate "service" just like ICQ?
Jabber is a technology using XMPP protocol; there are many Jabber servers (in fact, anyone can set up one's own). I.e., Jabber is not a centralized/proprietary network.

Skype uses proprietary protocol that is not related to Jabber/XMPP.

Jabber server can provide so called transports allowing to connect to other IMs (ICQ, AOL, MSN etc) from a Jabber account (and I use that heavily), but I have not heard of any reliable transport to Skype.

If anyone knows of such a transport, please et us all know.
Temmokan is offline   Reply With Quote