EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 11 Jul 2017, 06:43 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Twitter questions

After a long hesitating I decided that I am going to create a Twitter account. Before acting on a spur-of-the-moment decision, I got some questions which I hope I can get some advice on

1) I am doubting a bit about the name I would pick. My real name isn't really the best option because non-Dutch speakers generally struggle with remembering it, and spelling it correctly. If I want to pass my Twitter username while in a place with no pen and paper near, this can lead to problems. I already experience when people ask my name, that non-Dutch speakers usually misunderstand and misspell it. So I don't think using my actual name is the best option.

I could use just my first name and initials of my surname (my surname is the part of my name that foreigners usually struggle with) or I could come up with a nickname, but then doesn't that come across badly when you're trying to promote your artistic creations via Twitter? If I then pick a random nickname, couldn't this reduce my chance of promoting my work and succesful networking?

I also thought of something like "thisis..." or "...speaks" where my first name would be at the place of the three dots. This seems professional enough although I would like to avoid people announcing me with that exact Twitter name before starting a performance ...

Finally, I generally use a pseudonym in Hebrew, and many of my friends call me that. I thought of combining the Hebrew pseudonym with my actual real first name. That was actually my initial choice. However, given the fact I also wish to network with the Arab world, I am unsure if this is a wise idea (as far as the average person would realise the pseudonym part is Hebrew -- and even if, Hebrew is a language and not a political statement)

Anyways, is a Twitter name best to be somewhat official? Or doesn't it really matter that much as most people who want to stay updated would "follow" me, and announcements on my creative work could be re-tweeted by others rather than writing "New article/performance by ... next week"

2) can a Twitter account name be changed if I'd get a better idea later on, or are you stuck to your Twitter username forever once you register? (if it can be changed later on, question #1 becomes less important)

3) does Twitter allow to create 2 different Twitter accounts and usernames?
Reason for asking: I am active in the artistic field both as writer, photographer and performing artist. For the latter, my performances go under the name of my artistic project. For regular articles and photography, I use my actual name. Also, the performances are of a totally different subject matter than the articles and photography ; hence I'd like to keep the two a bit seperated. I have seperate websites for both ; it would, if allowed, also make sense to have two Twitter accounts (one for the performances where the name of the artistic project would be used, and one for the photography and other stuff where I would either use my actual name or a recommended variant -- see question #1)

Thanks for advices
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Jul 2017, 06:50 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

(2) yes https://support.twitter.com/articles/14609#
(3): yes https://support.twitter.com/articles/20169956#

For future reference: help pages do exist in Twitter....
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks!

That said, Twitter's FAQ and ToS do not solve all questions. For example the advice on whether a username is really that important and how "official" or "professional" it should sound... That's something better asked to people who've used it for a while themselves and thus are experienced users.
Old 2 May 2018, 07:09 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

The link for having 2 Twitter handles within one account, is only for Android or iPad tablets. Doesn't work in Microsoft Edge.
Old 2 May 2018, 08:41 AM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
The link for having 2 Twitter handles within one account, is only for Android or iPad tablets. Doesn't work in Microsoft Edge.
Mostly in a browser I use Tweetdeck. It can handle two or more accounts.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 08:45 AM   #6
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Thanks!

That said, Twitter's FAQ and ToS do not solve all questions. For example the advice on whether a username is really that important and how "official" or "professional" it should sound... That's something better asked to people who've used it for a while themselves and thus are experienced users.
Before you decide, just browse around some time and see what other people (you’re interested in) use.
Old 2 May 2018, 09:18 PM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Mostly in a browser I use Tweetdeck. It can handle two or more accounts.
It's the creation of a second account I struggle with. I tried from an iPad and from my laptop, but it doesn't work. I signed in via Safari browser and via Microsoft Edge browser, but I cannot find the option to create a second account.

I only need 2 accounts, one for solely my artistic announcements (performances, new writings, etc) and one for personal stuff that is not arts-related. But I cannot find the option to create a second handle, not when signing in via MS Edge (on laptop using Windows10) and not when singing in via Safari (on iPad).

So how do I create that second handle when not using an app but a browser?
Old 2 May 2018, 10:19 PM   #8
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

You don't create a "second handle".

Just ensure you are logged out of any Twitter accounts, then just create a new account with a new name.

You will probably need to sign up for the new account with a different e-mail address to the one used for the original account.

There's no connection between the accounts.

I have a personal Twitter account, a Twitter account for @EMDiscussions, and a Twitter account for a hobby website I'm running.

It's not rocket science.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
You don't create a "second handle".

Just ensure you are logged out of any Twitter accounts, then just create a new account with a new name.

You will probably need to sign up for the new account with a different e-mail address to the one used for the original account.

There's no connection between the accounts.

I have a personal Twitter account, a Twitter account for @EMDiscussions, and a Twitter account for a hobby website I'm running.

It's not rocket science.
I wasn't sure whether creating two Twitter accounts with two different email addresses was allowed, and wouldn't like to see my current account suspended due to violating the rules or ToS.

That said, according to this page
mentioned earlier in this topic, it is possible to have two handles in one account apparently (or I must have misunderstood something?)
Old 13 Jun 2018, 06:12 AM   #10
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
o connection between the accounts.

What is the handle of your EMD related account, is it just @EMDiscussions? If so, I'll follow you.

Other question:

Is there an option to download and save a backup of your Twitter account on your hard drive (including profile photo, names and handles of the people who follow you and the people I follow, and all tweets I've already published) ?

May sound odd, but for example Wordpress.com allows you to download your entire blog/site hosted with them and save it in a handy file on your hard drive. Very comforting, because if something'd ever occur to your blog/site you can just upload your backup again rather than having to start all over.
If something simimar with Twitter would be possible, that'd be great
Old 13 Jun 2018, 06:32 AM   #11
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
What is the handle of your EMD related account, is it just @EMDiscussions? If so, I'll follow you.
Yes, it's @EMDiscussions

Quote:
Other question:

Is there an option to download and save a backup of your Twitter account on your hard drive (including profile photo, names and handles of the people who follow you and the people I follow, and all tweets I've already published?
In settings, scroll down to Your Tweet Archive - Request your archive:

You can request a file containing all your Tweets, starting with your first. A link will be emailed to you when the file is ready to be downloaded.

I've not used this myself, but try it for yourself and see if that works for you.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2018, 03:56 AM   #12
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Thumbs up

Thanks!

I assume that, like a Wordpress backup (that comes as one single file which you download to your hard drive), a backup of your tweets is saved on your hard drive and can be used to re-upload in case your Twitter account would ever face technical problems?
Old 23 Jul 2018, 04:18 AM   #13
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Thanks! I assume that, like a Wordpress backup (that comes as one single file which you download to your hard drive), a backup of your tweets is saved on your hard drive and can be used to re-upload in case your Twitter account would ever face technical problems?
I don’t think so. It’s not a backup.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 10:09 AM   #14
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Hmm, other than a personal copy as a sort of memory should one's account ever disappear, what would the use of that download with archived tweets be? They probably offer that option for a good reason, but what?