EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Jul 2016, 09:29 PM   #16
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

I, now, feel your pain.

Apparently Fastmail doesn't want your business (or the business of anyone who refuses to use its new webmail offering).

I have two Runbox accounts and find its Spam rules mechanism cumbersome (especially the "Order" "feature"). Hopefully, you'll find them to your liking.

Good luck.

--
Jacinto
Old 19 Jul 2016, 11:01 PM   #17
bblackmoor

Fastmail has made it abundantly clear that they do not want my business.

Runbox, on the other hand, has some pretty significant deficiencies in its usability (if you take a look at the Runbox section of this site, I have asked about several of these, so far).

Going back to my original question, is there another webmail provider I should be considering? I have paid for Runbox and migrated several of the accounts I manage to it, experimentally, but I am open to other providers.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 12:51 AM   #18
bblackmoor

At this point, I am up in the air as to whether Runbox or Fastmail is less irritating to use. Runbox fixes the things that Fastmail has decided to break, but then it fails at things that Fastmail (for now) still does well.

So do I stay with Fastmail, who has made it clear that their "to do" list is mostly composed of making their service worse and harder to use?

Or do I complete the transition to Runbox, which has had "improving filtering and sorting" on their roadmap for ten years?
Old 20 Jul 2016, 01:22 AM   #19
bblackmoor

I am going to try Slashmail next, if they respond to my contact request
Old 20 Jul 2016, 03:30 AM   #20
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblackmoor View Post
At this point, I am up in the air as to whether Runbox or Fastmail is less irritating to use. Runbox fixes the things that Fastmail has decided to break, but then it fails at things that Fastmail (for now) still does well.

So do I stay with Fastmail, who has made it clear that their "to do" list is mostly composed of making their service worse and harder to use?

Or do I complete the transition to Runbox, which has had "improving filtering and sorting" on their roadmap for ten years?
I doubt that you'll find a new provider that offers webmail that resembles and has most of the features of the Classic interface.

Are you able to script Sieve rules by hand?

If so, you'll find that the web page for manual Sieve rules is basically the same as it was on the Classic interface.

When it was rumored a couple of years ago that Opera (including Fastmail) was going to be acquired by Facebook, I tried Rackspace, Runbox, and a few others including Office 365. I did not find any of them completely satisfactory and never left Fastmail. (Mercifully, Facebook did not buy Opera.)

I kept my Runbox accounts for mail storage only.

Perhaps, after you experience first-hand what's available elsewhere, you'll decide to bite the bullet, as I did, and stay with Fastmail.

--
Jacinto
Old 20 Jul 2016, 04:43 AM   #21
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Are PolarisMail, RunBox, and Zimbra the only alternatives? (I hate Gmail's interface even more than the "new" fastmail interface.)
Rollernet or if you like 'classic': Tuffmail.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 04:49 AM   #22
bblackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Rollernet or if you like 'classic': Tuffmail.
I investigated Tuffmail. Unfortunately, it is way too expensive: my costs would triple. From a quick glance, it appears that Rollernet would be similarly expensive. I am unhappy with Fastmail, but I am not that unhappy.

Yet.

I appreciate the suggestions, though. It is very helpful for me to see what is available.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 06:59 AM   #23
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I investigated Tuffmail. Unfortunately, it is way too expensive: my costs would triple. From a quick glance, it appears that Rollernet would be similarly expensive. I am unhappy with Fastmail, but I am not that unhappy.

Yet.

I appreciate the suggestions, though. It is very helpful for me to see what is available.
To be brutally honest, I've tried them all, and I always come back to Fastmail, and don't intend leaving again. For me, having mail, contacts and calendar in one place, along with the plethora of options is something no other mail provider can come up with.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 07:47 AM   #24
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:

Contacting Fastmail support results in reassurances that if I try the dysfunctional "new" interface that I will love it. I told them I tried it, and gave them a half-dozen reasons I do not love it.

So I intend to leave Fastmail, after nine years years as a loyal customer, if I can find a suitable alternative.
I love the classic......but I use the "new" but unfortunately there are so many features missing which are in the old classic.

Perhaps we should do a list.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 09:23 AM   #25
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I have purchased new account with Runbox and am in the process of migrating things over.
They have a special on....
2 years for the price of 1
on the Mini, Medium, and Max plans
Old 20 Jul 2016, 09:29 AM   #26
bblackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
They have a special on....
2 years for the price of 1
on the Mini, Medium, and Max plans
They (Runbox) do, and I paid for several accounts, and now I am waiting on my refund.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 01:08 PM   #27
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto View Post
(Mercifully, Facebook did not buy Opera.)
Opera to Sell Browser Business to Chinese Firms
Phone Scoop, July 18

Last edited by pjwalsh : 20 Jul 2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 04:46 PM   #28
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto View Post
I doubt that you'll find a new provider that offers webmail that resembles and has most of the features of the Classic interface.

Are you able to script Sieve rules by hand?
Jacinto
Yea the others lack a lot of features especially sieve rules by hand, so it looks like I will also stay with F/m
Old 20 Jul 2016, 08:56 PM   #29
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post
I guess I'll have to uninstall Opera from my desktop and Android phones. Wouldn't want the P.L.A. to take over my computer and listen-in on my conversations -- that's what the NSA is for.

--
Jacinto
Old 20 Jul 2016, 09:37 PM   #30
bblackmoor

Still no response from Slashmail.

For the time being, I guess Fastmail is still my best option. I am, as Jacinto said, biting the bullet.
Closed Thread