EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 4 Jan 2022, 04:44 PM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

What do you put in your e-mail signature?

I recently saw "he/him/his" in someone's e-mail signature, and this was a first for me - I hadn't seen or heard of this practice before.

A quick google on the subject found this:

https://medium.com/gender-inclusivit...o-d3dc942c8743

Maybe I've lead a sheltered life and am of an older age, but this seems to be a very strange thing to do.

However, if you are corresponding by e-mail with someone you don't know, and their first name could mean they're either male or female, I suppose this could be a good idea. If you just have someone's name without a photo, it could be easy to confuse their gender.

It could be very useful here on this forum, where someone has just a forum name - I usually make a guess (from the user's posts, reading between the lines, attitudes, etc) whether or not someone was male or female.

Perhaps that's just me, I'm (inadvertently) assigning a gender, where it's not, or it shouldn't, be necessary.

I don't think I'm breaking any forum rules here, but I'm sure someone would soon let me know.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Jan 2022, 05:46 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
If you just have someone's name without a photo, it could be easy to confuse their gender..
Even with a photo it's not always easy to tell.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2022, 06:03 PM   #3
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

In my personal emails I simple end with my name.

On my main account and a couple other I add a gpg signature.

On processional accounts:
Name
Title
Organization

I'll not comment much about this pronoun thing except to say it will never be in my signature block.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2022, 08:33 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

I put my name and my email address in my signature. Despite the address being readily visible if you open the email, at least on most email clients, I find it is best to put it below my name or else people never make note of it in their contacts. I have some regular correspondents who continue to send me emails to an address I haven't used as my main address in more than a decade, because they never bother to update their contacts. That's one reason I try to maintain lots of old addresses as much as possible, even if they only receive an email once in awhile. Last year I revived an old address I used almost 20 years ago and instantly emails started coming in from people and businesses I hadn't heard from in all that time. When writing emails to a person of unknown gender identity I try to use gender neutral words. The best greeting to start any email is "Hi First Name" even on business emails.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2022, 09:49 PM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
The best greeting to start any email is "Hi First Name" even on business emails.
This works in English, mostly.... Will you start an email to Joe Biden "Hi Joe"?
In some languages addressing a stranger by the first name is considered rude.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2022, 09:57 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Will you start an email to Joe Biden "Hi Joe"?
Joe Biden wouldn't mind--he's a pretty ordinary guy. But, I do use a more formal greeting occasionally. Still, I have found that 95% of the time here in the USA "Hi First Name" seems to be the perfect starter, even with new business contacts. https://sparkmailapp.com/professional-email-template
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2022, 03:43 PM   #7
Bamb0
Master of the @

I have nothing in mine........ Its just blank at the end of my email
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote