EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 20 Oct 2019, 01:22 AM   #1
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Yahoo Groups closing down

Quote:
Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the Yahoo Groups site. Beginning October 28 you won't be able to upload any more content to the site, and as of December 14 all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed.
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN31010.html

No big regrets, as far as I'm concerned.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Nov 2019, 05:05 AM   #2
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I didn't even know those still existed Was anyone still using that?

In a way though, it is a pity is is disappearing. I've known Yahoo Groups back since the days MSN Groups/Communities were still big, Myspace was huge and Facebook still virtually unknown… To see Yahoo Groups disappear is like a last survivor of that era ceasing to exist. The nostalgia element makes me regret this, although I haven't used or visited a Yahoo Group in ages.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2019, 08:50 AM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

It does not disappear completely.

Quote:
Dear Group Moderators and Members,

Thank you for your commitment to Yahoo and for helping us define the power of digital communities. Eighteen years ago, we combined the functionality of a site called eGroups.com with a precursor community platform called Yahoo Clubs to launch Yahoo Groups. Since then, you and millions of others have helped prove our hypothesis, by creating and joining more than 10 Million groups.

A lot has changed about the Internet since 2001, including the ways most people now use Yahoo Groups. Today, most Yahoo Groups activity happens in your email inbox, not on the bulletin boards where Yahoo Groups started in the pre-smartphone age. Increasingly, people want content and connections coming directly to them, and this is why we continue to invest in Yahoo Mail -- including the recent launch of a new Yahoo Mail app that is currently the highest-rated email app in the App Store and Google Play.

So, as our users’ habits have evolved, we have begun the process of evolving our approach to help active Yahoo Groups thrive and migrate to our email platform. To help you plan for these changes, below is the schedule of how this transition will happen.

Beginning October 28, 2019:
Users will be able to join a Yahoo Group only through an invite from the Group Moderator or by submitting a request to join a Group, which requires approval by the Group Moderator.
Since we are moving Group communication from posting on message boards to email distribution, uploading and hosting of new content will also be disabled on the Yahoo Groups website.

Beginning December 14, 2019:
All Groups will be made private and any content that was previously uploaded via the website will be removed. We believe privacy is critical and made this decision to better align with our overall principles.
If you would like to keep any of the content you’ve posted or stored in the past within your Yahoo Group, please download it by December 14 by accessing this link.

As these dates get closer, we will send follow-up reminders. More information about the upcoming changes can be found here.

While this evolution of Yahoo Groups is inspired by how we see the platform being used today, we know change can be difficult. Here are a few important facts as we make this transition:

1. Yahoo Groups is not going away - We know that our users are deeply passionate about connecting around shared interests, and we are evolving Groups to better align with how you use it today.

2. New groups can still be formed - Users can continue to connect with others around their common bonds and interests. From animal rescues to sporting and activity groups, civic organizations to local PTAs, members of our Yahoo Groups will remain connected and able to share their activities and interests. All of the content that you have shared previously on the website, can continue to be shared via email.

We know that Yahoo Groups is an important online extension of your real-life group of friends, interests and communities, and we are committed to supporting communities that rely on Yahoo Groups. Thanks for coming along with us this far. We look forward to seeing where the technology -- and you -- take us in the decades to come.

Sincerely,
The Groups Team
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2019, 10:57 PM   #4
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

At one time I was a member of several Yahoo Groups. Just counted the folders in my email client, 16 of them. Most quit being active ages ago, only one of them is still active. Last email from that group was yesterday. Been getting the notices that it's shutting down. It a huge discussion topic right now regarding alternatives.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2019, 01:15 AM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Groups.io is an alternative. Quite a few Yahoo groups moved lock, stock and barrel there.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2019, 07:23 PM   #6
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
what is yahoo groups? some years later we may ask: what is yahoo mail?
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2019, 01:42 PM   #7
EricG
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Groups.io is an alternative. Quite a few Yahoo groups moved lock, stock and barrel there.
They have a free non-commercial plan with 1GB storage. Last year you could transfer a yahoo group for free. Earlier this year they required a paid account ($100/yr). Last month they doubled the fee because they are overwhelmed.

If someone in the group saved all their emails, can can export them to EML format and distribute in a ZIP for free. If you email client doesn't support import/export of EMLs, use MailStore Home.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2020, 08:42 AM   #8
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

The end is on Dec. 15.

Quote:
Dear Yahoo Group Moderators and Members,

We launched Yahoo Groups 20 years ago to connect people around their shared interests. We helped our users navigate new towns, keep in touch with college friends, learn new skills, and most importantly, build connections they may have lost or never had in the first place. While we could not have been more proud of what we accomplished together, we are reaching out today with heavy hearts to let you know that we have decided to shut down Yahoo Groups on December 15, 2020.

Yahoo Groups has seen a steady decline in usage over the last several years. Over that same period we’ve witnessed unprecedented levels of engagement across our properties as customers seek out premium, trustworthy content. To that end, we must sometimes make difficult decisions regarding products that no longer fit our long-term strategy as we hone our focus on other areas of the business.

Beginning December 15, 2020 the Yahoo Groups website will shut down and members will no longer be able to send or receive emails from Yahoo Groups. We’ve compiled a comprehensive FAQ here that includes alternative providers and information on how this will impact your group content.

Thank you for helping us build one of the earliest digital communities — we’re proud and honored to have forged countless connections over the last 20 years and played a small part in helping build your communities.

Sincerely,
The Yahoo Groups team
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2020, 11:03 AM   #9
Gankaku

I thought they closed that down a couple of years ago? I'm surprised to see this thread honestly. I guess they take awhile to do these things.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2020, 01:43 AM   #10
Bamb0
Master of the @

Its sad in a way they are closing it just because the usage is down.......

Some people still do use it!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2020, 11:53 AM   #11
EricG
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
I thought they closed that down a couple of years ago? I'm surprised to see this thread honestly.
I was announced two years ago, but shut down almost a year ago. Writing was on the wall when it was sold to Verizon Media.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2020, 07:23 PM   #12
HollyRMalin

HollyRMalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2020, 03:11 AM   #13
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I guess the likes of Facebook have overpowered competitors with a similar offer. In a way, the likes of Yahoo Groups (and MSN Communities) were early communities around certain subjects of interest, pretty much working the same as Facebook Groups do now.
I remember MySpace had similar discussion groups, although there the personal profiles were more detailed so not entirely comparable to Yahoo Groups or MSN Communities.

I guess people turn to Facebook now for this type of interaction, or maybe discussion forums (I don't see those die soon, although they're much less common than a 10 years ago)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote