EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 8 Dec 2017, 02:29 AM   #16
RFK
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
Tell you what.....you do NOT need a cellphone number to open a new Yandex account..!!!
Did you try it?
But I think the "west" is closing its internet borders for Russian IT services; we can discuss if this is legit or not....thats my opinion. Yandex has offices in Switserland,Germany and the Netherlands...pretty soon they MIGHT have also servers located fe in Norway or in Iceland or other European countries...would NOT surprise me at all.

Dutchie.
In theory, I do not need the phone. But practically, you can not use your mailbox without being "validated". regardless of this, I added the phone, but the mailbox was still inactive.

No, the West is not closing digital (and non-digital) borders with Russia. This is Russian set of laws that actually makes usage of Russian digital services impossible for non-Russians.
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2017, 04:40 AM   #17
LinuxArie

B u l l s hi t, I live in netherlands and I'm using Yandex
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2017, 06:01 AM   #18
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArie View Post
B u l l s hi t, I live in netherlands and I'm using Yandex
You took the words right out of my mouth...I also live here...and yandex many times send codes to my Dutch cellphone number. And for that fact mail.ru also....never had a problem.

But then again some persons just want to politicalise things.

RFK you realy think the NSA doesnt watch your gmail/outlook/AOL/yahoo account?? If you actualy think that....SWEET DREAMS!! LOL

And yes I know the Russians can too...but somehow i feel more at ease with them...then with the NSA,-)

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Dec 2017, 06:33 AM   #19
EricG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
But then again some persons just want to politicalise things.

RFK you realy think the NSA doesnt watch your gmail/outlook/AOL/yahoo account?? If you actualy think that....SWEET DREAMS!! LOL
You're the one politicizing. The NSA has never been allowed to intercept domestic communications, the FBI does so only with a warrant. Look up past scandals.

How could they? Google is now https only, SMTP is TLS.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2017, 02:46 AM   #20
LinuxArie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
You're the one politicizing. The NSA has never been allowed to intercept domestic communications
And we all know they never give a S H I T about that, dream on
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2017, 09:26 AM   #21
ReuvenNY

Moderator's Comment

Please do not use profanities!
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2017, 06:55 AM   #22
TenFour

Just for the moment assume that the NSA wants to scan your emails--what would stop it from doing so if you were using Yandex or any other provider? Nothing! There is nowhere to hide if you are up to something nefarious. And, it isn't just the NSA but every security apparatus in the world, including Russia I am 100% certain. For most of us our real worries should be ordinary security against phishing, malware, spam, etc., and general performance, features, deliverability, cost, etc. Gmail is at the top in the metrics that matter to most people, which is why they are the most popular email service in the world. Yes, there are very valid reasons for choosing other services, but the ability to evade national security apparatus spying on you is not one of them--every email service is vulnerable. I used to work for a small email marketing provider and we could read virtually everything if we wanted to, and we could even go into client databases and read almost everything without any special permissions. Digital privacy is nonexistent without taking extraordinary precautions that are impractical for most.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote