EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 Mar 2020, 12:39 PM   #76
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkle View Post
In case it's useful for anyone, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_rasterization
I just spent far too long reading that Wikipedia article and a number of others it links to. I had no idea about any of that stuff. Really interesting. Thanks !

Last edited by Grhm : 13 Mar 2020 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Link to article
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2020, 12:41 PM   #77
Junkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
I just spent far too long reading that Wikipedia article and a number of others it links to. I had no idea about any of that stuff. Really interesting. Thanks !
... ya, sorry. Old school here...
Junkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2020, 04:08 PM   #78
M4rk4y

Quote:
In the past I've been an outspoken critic of Fastmail when they have messed things up with apparently pointless changes... but I'm puzzled by this thread.
The only substantial changes I've noticed are a few minor tweaks to the layout and that they've changed the font from one inoffensive, legible, sans-serif type to a different inoffensive, legible, sans-serif type.
Unlike in previous revisions, as far as I'm aware there has been no loss of functionality at all.
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.
Their first iteration had a really awful bold font which they fairly quickly improved (which supports my notion that they didn't really ask a wide enough range of beta testers what they thought) so you won't see that now. But apart from the anti-aliasing issue (which I am mercifully free from) and apart from the removal of the perfectly useful option to switch fonts and apart from the completely pointless and screen-cluttering forced addition of folder icons to whatever theme it was that I was using... there remains the fact that they dumped all this on us without fair notice. I think there's probably enough there to be worth fussing about.
M4rk4y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2020, 11:33 PM   #79
Junkle

Well, I had to laughcry. I just noticed this. The new font is so bad that the name "Julie" appears as Julle in bold, and really, really clearly so. It irony? Where the space appears in the "i" between the stem and the dot, there's actually a very slightly discernible (on close inspection) thickening. You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried...
Old 14 Mar 2020, 01:12 AM   #80
Grhm
Essential Contributor

That sounds absolutely terrible !
Have you sent a screen-shot to the FM help desk people?
Old 14 Mar 2020, 01:30 AM   #81
Junkle

Quote:
Sigh... I probably ought to. Thanks for the encouragement. Say, did you know that this site's new name is EmallDlscusslons.com? I learned that from the subscription email...
Old 14 Mar 2020, 02:03 AM   #82
Junkle

Quote:
As of now, yes. See https://twitter.com/cbkschroeder/sta...25004922466304 also.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 04:04 AM   #83
Junkle

Hi folks. As of now, check out beta.fastmail.com and you'll find the option to re-enable system font! They've been responsive! This is apparently to roll out next week, assuming nothing goes due south. Well, I am again impressed with fastmail, and will continue to use and recommend them. Unfortunately, no matter how good the machinery is under the hood, if the UI isn't up-to-snuff, it doesn't cut it. The UI is now once again up-to-snuff. Thank you to fastmail.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 04:24 AM   #84
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Smile

Result !
I'm pleased for you.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 04:42 AM   #85
Junkle

Quote:
Result !
I'm pleased for you.
It's good... and I'm very happy this forum is here. I'll have to haunt it from time to time.
Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:30 AM   #86
chickadee

To Junkle and others who were persistent, many thanks!

When the option to re-enable the old font appears on the production server, please inform the forum members.
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2020, 08:44 AM   #87
Lockwood

Quote:
Hi folks. As of now, check out beta.fastmail.com and you'll find the option to re-enable system font! They've been responsive! This is apparently to roll out next week, assuming nothing goes due south. Well, I am again impressed with fastmail, and will continue to use and recommend them. Unfortunately, no matter how good the machinery is under the hood, if the UI isn't up-to-snuff, it doesn't cut it. The UI is now once again up-to-snuff. Thank you to fastmail.
Result indeed!

Thanks all for raising the issue
& Thanks Fastmail for listening and responding!

Trying the Beta just now and flicking between the two options, it really confirmed the issue with Proxima Nova - fuzzy vs clean lines of the system font
Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2020, 09:47 AM   #88
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
As of now, check out beta.fastmail.com and you'll find the option to re-enable system font! They've been responsive!
Thanks Fastmail!
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2020, 09:50 AM   #89
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockwood View Post
Trying the Beta just now and flicking between the two options, it really confirmed the issue with Proxima Nova - fuzzy vs clean lines of the system font
With the webclient, just open a new browser tab for the beta.fastmail.com, once logged in you can flip quickly between the two, and it's really quite apparent how 'cleaner' the system font is.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2020, 09:55 AM   #90
JeffK

Where is that option. I can't seem to find it.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote