EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Jul 2019, 07:49 AM   #31
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
since my "public" email account is a forwarding service ...

This working well depends on the receiving mail system. Many systems make forwarding unreliable with DMARC. Forwarding can make SpamAssassin less effective unless it's been configured to parse Received headers across each forwarding service. I don't know what the current situation is, but Fastmail has in the past put a lot of effort into making it work.

The problem is that Fastmail may decide to stop bothering, or even implement DMARC rejection, or you might have another reason to leave. At that point you may struggle to find a good replacement.

There's also the possibility that the organization providing the portable address discontinues the service, outsources it to Yahoo or replaces it with their own webmail.

IIWY I'd get a domain and forward it to Fastmail while you phase-out the portable address gradually.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2019, 06:58 PM   #32
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
This working well depends on the receiving mail system. Many systems make forwarding unreliable with DMARC. Forwarding can make SpamAssassin less effective unless it's been configured to parse Received headers across each forwarding service. I don't know what the current situation is, but Fastmail has in the past put a lot of effort into making it work.
I've never had a problem no matter what service I've used over the years. But last year (my 1st year with FM) I did get one X-Spam-known-sender set to "no" because "Email failed DMARC policy for domain". From my state tax board no less and then only for acknowledging logging in! It was ending up in my spam folder even though they were in my contacts (which was, at the time, the reason I created a ticket - I wanted contacts in the inbox no matter what). Turns out FM did that because they didn't trust the forwarder. Not sure what the tax board did in that particular message to trigger this in the first place.

After more discussion with FM they said they would look into my forwarding service to see if they were a "trusted forwarder such that mail they forward will not be penalized for DMARC failures". It didn't take much convincing for them to add my service to their whitelist so all is good forwarding from my service (see below) including the case that triggered this problem to begin with.

Quote:
The problem is that Fastmail may decide to stop bothering, or even implement DMARC rejection, or you might have another reason to leave. At that point you may struggle to find a good replacement.
As I said no problems before I came to FM last year and then only this one occurrence which is now fixed too.

Quote:
There's also the possibility that the organization providing the portable address discontinues the service, outsources it to Yahoo or replaces it with their own webmail.
The forwarding service (there is no actual mail service) is just a benefit of being a member of a major professional computer organization that's been around for over 70 years. They aren't going away anytime soon. And the reason it didn't take much convincing of FM to whitelist them is because they said they are members of that organization too!

Quote:
IIWY I'd get a domain and forward it to Fastmail while you phase-out the portable address gradually.
I've been with the organization for so long I am now considered a lifetime member and I've use my email address so long it would probably take the rest of my life to phase it out! If it ain't broke I see no reason to fix it now.

As for my original ticket, I believe that if I have someone in my contacts then I want mail from them in my inbox no matter what! So if X-Spam-known-sender says "no" but still says "in-addressbook" I let those through to my in-box. I'll decide whether those are valid or not. So in the end, with this test in place, for me, it doesn't matter how DMARC affects X-Spam-known-sender (unless "in-addressbook" gets removed or course).

Last edited by xyzzy : 27 Jul 2019 at 07:55 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2019, 04:41 AM   #33
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
The forwarding service (there is no actual mail service) is just a benefit of being a member of a major professional computer organization that's been around for over 70 years. They aren't going away anytime soon.
I had a similar address which I haven't really used in 20 years. It was recently converted to an ordinary email account after a survey confirmed that few members still find a portable email address useful.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2019, 04:37 PM   #34
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxinjustify View Post
There doesn't seem to be a way to post it here for you to see.
How to include an image in a EMD post.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2019, 07:17 PM   #35
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Wish I hadn't read this thread. I always have custom set and I was playing around a little with the values because it was said above they couldn't see the "Add score as {SPAM XX.X}". Mine was there, I thought enabled selectively by FM some time around when FM was disabling it for users because I submitted a ticket.

I changed a value clicked rules and then clicked back spam protection and it was gone. I refreshed the page and it came back. I repeated that sequence but this time I can't get it back. I now need to find that ticket I made back last January and reopen it and request they put it back for my account. Grrrr.
Did you get this fixed?

I also cannot see this option. However I notice that I do get the spam score added for anything higher than x set in "move message with a spam score of x". ...perhaps they just automated it?
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2019, 05:30 AM   #36
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Yes. They re-enabled it for me. I already had a closed ticket from last year when this problem first appeared so I reopened that ticket to report it. It was fixed pretty quickly.

I don't think it's automated. In the spam folder they also show the badge with the spam score too. I assume the use of the Spam Protection setting is still in place even if the option disappears to set it. I don't know why that Spam Protection option appears to be so "volatile".

Last edited by xyzzy : 31 Aug 2019 at 05:43 AM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2019, 05:37 AM   #37
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

great - I think I will give it a try too.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote