EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Feb 2013, 02:14 AM   #1
apdoffice

My signature stopped working properly

My signature that attaches to all of my emails has stopped working. I have used it for nearly two-years. This afternoon I went to send an email and my signature appeared as HTML text, rather than with my name, company logo, etc.

Any idea what is causing this?
apdoffice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Feb 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Are you using the new interface or the classic interface?

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2013, 12:56 PM   #3
apdoffice

I've been using the new interface ever since it was released

This is the first time this problem has ever occurred.

Bill[/quote]
Old 28 Feb 2013, 01:33 PM   #4
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
As part of the changes on Monday, we rolled out a bug fix where plain text signatures weren't being escaped properly when inserted into HTML emails. Unfortunately, one or two people like yourself were relying on this to make HTML signatures. Fortunately, today I implemented proper support for HTML signatures. This is on our beta server right now (https://beta.fastmail.fm) and will be rolled out to production on Monday.

If your default compose mode is Rich Text, you can set an HTML signature in the Settings => Accounts screen, using the normal rich text editor (no need to write HTML). If you do need to write raw HTML for some reason, you can do so by going to Settings => Advanced Settings => Signatures.

Cheers,

Neil.
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2013, 01:49 PM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Thanks, Neil. It's working great on beta now. But why does the Settings => Accounts screen show the accounts in apparently random order?

Bill
Old 28 Feb 2013, 02:17 PM   #6
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
They should be ordered by creation date (oldest first).
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2013, 02:29 PM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
They should be ordered by creation date (oldest first).
Well that is annoying! On the other screens (where the personalities are used) the order is alphabetical. If you use more than a handful of personalities, an alphabetic ordering is much superior. It would be even better to allow the order to be changed between creation date and alphabetical. I haven't been using that screen because I couldn't easily find a personality, and since only two entries can be seen at once I had to scroll forever through apparently random entries to find the one I wanted to change.

Enhanced and Premier accounts allow use of 100 Fastmail-domain aliases and 500 own-domain aliases. So the interface needs to be easy to use with those numbers of personalities.

Bill
Old 28 Feb 2013, 11:11 PM   #8
apdoffice

Still not working...

My signature is still not displaying properly -- all it gives is a file designation where my corporate logo should be appearing.

Also, the spacing is incorrect, the font sizes are wrong and the text formatting is all gone.

I am temporarily using "Wise Stamp" (a Firefox Extension) that allows the insertion of an HTML signature, but I would sure appreciate Fastmail's signature feature working again.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 09:06 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdoffice View Post
My signature is still not displaying properly -- all it gives is a file designation where my corporate logo should be appearing...
Are you using the beta login and looking at the Settings>Accounts screen to check your signature setup?
https://beta.fastmail.fm

Bill
Old 7 Mar 2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Drew_v

Double signatures

I am reluctant to start a new thread about signatures, so I thought I'd put it here...is anyone else sending out double signatures recently?

In classic view, when composing a Plain Text mail, you already have the signature (which is also plain text) automatically added to the message when you start. That's how it has always been. But when I send the mail, the signature gets added again (you can see the double signature in the mails in the "sent" folder).

It is not a Personalities thing because with every single one of my personalities, the Signature option is "None" (which is itself rather odd, come to think of it, but again, this has never stopped the signature from being added to all my mails by default in the past). Obviously the immediate workaround is to delete the signature when starting a new mail, but this is a real timewaster, especially on a touch screen like mine.
Drew_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2013, 08:49 PM   #11
yassarali
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_v View Post
I am reluctant to start a new thread about signatures, so I thought I'd put it here...is anyone else sending out double signatures recently?

In classic view, when composing a Plain Text mail, you already have the signature (which is also plain text) automatically added to the message when you start. That's how it has always been. But when I send the mail, the signature gets added again (you can see the double signature in the mails in the "sent" folder).

It is not a Personalities thing because with every single one of my personalities, the Signature option is "None" (which is itself rather odd, come to think of it, but again, this has never stopped the signature from being added to all my mails by default in the past). Obviously the immediate workaround is to delete the signature when starting a new mail, but this is a real timewaster, especially on a touch screen like mine.
This bug was introduced due to a recent code change. It's been fixed now, the fix will be rolled out to production in the next few days.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

-Yassar.
yassarali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2013, 09:58 AM   #12
tr1

I have used a simple text signature on most of my emails for quite a while. It automatically appears in the email when I compose a new mail. Previously, if I didn't want a signature appended to the email, I would simply delete the text.

A new feature, which I consider a bug, automatically appends a signature to my emails even if I delete it. This is on the classic interface which works fine and does not require "improvements". Please fix this bug.
tr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2013, 10:07 AM   #13
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1 View Post
...A new feature, which I consider a bug, automatically appends a signature to my emails even if I delete it. This is on the classic interface....
In Settings>Account Preferences be sure you do not have the Signature for new or Signature for reply set to "After editing, below message".

Bill
Old 11 Mar 2013, 07:57 PM   #14
Drew_v

Quote:
Originally Posted by yassarali View Post
This bug was introduced due to a recent code change. It's been fixed now, the fix will be rolled out to production in the next few days.
Thanks! It has indeed been fixed, it would seem.
Drew_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2013, 10:06 PM   #15
bblackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew_v View Post
Thanks! It has indeed been fixed, it would seem.
The email I sent last night still had this bug, but as of this morning, apparently it has been fixed. Thanks!
bblackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote